10 replies to this topic

#1 Galilee

Galilee

850 going for 900

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 08 June 2018 - 08:52 am

Hi I have a 1996 TDM 860 4TX and have run into a recent problem.

The bike has suddenly started surging when riding at low to moderate speeds and at 2-3k rpm. it also surges at moderate acceleration, but runs smoothly at hard acceleration, high speed and at high rpm.

The bike has a Delkevic exhaust (2-1 short muffler) and hasn't been re-jetted, but has worked very well with the same setup for 3 years before this.

Any ideas? i thought it was the 900 that had this problem.

Too Freud to rock'n'roll, too Jung to die.

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,118 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 08 June 2018 - 09:15 am

What miles (or them other funny things) are ya on now Gal?

Initial thought would be HT leads or coil. Is this in wet conditions?
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 Galilee

Galilee

850 going for 900

• 892 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 08:28 pm

it is at around 100k km or 62k in them other funny things.

I had the HT leads problem in wet conditions and did the mod with amalgaming tape on the leads which seem to fix the wet running problem.

The surging doesn't feel as abrupt cut in power as it does when a cylinder (or two) cuts out.

Update: after running it hard for a few minutes (ok, more than a few minutes) the problem seems to be gone.

Was it particles in the carb jets or something like that?

#4 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 08 June 2018 - 08:47 pm

It might be a worn/holed/stretched fuel pump diaphragm.  Low rev vacuum and it struggles, high rev vacuum and it delivers fuel better.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#5 Galilee

Galilee

850 going for 900

• 892 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 09:49 am

Time to try the electric fuel pump mod maybe?

#6 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 10 June 2018 - 10:45 am

Or a new vacuum pump.  The one you have is over 20yrs old so a new one should last just as long really.  You could also try a cheap chinese copy one.  Prolly best to wait and see if the problem crops up again first though.

You could check the fuel filter and float bowls for any crud.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#7 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,118 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 10 June 2018 - 12:27 pm

You can make a new diafragle thing oot of arsey Tate's even as a temporary measure this will help diagnose if it's the problem.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#8 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 10 June 2018 - 09:41 pm

If it's been laid up for a while then the ethanol in fuel could have perished rubbery bits. Great Viton kits available from https://www.litetek.co/contact.html

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#9 thunderdrum

thunderdrum

sticking around

• 26 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 02 July 2018 - 09:12 pm

had something similar on my 99 4tx after sitting for awhile over Christmas put silcoline pro fst in fuel this now is running smoother as think jets may have been a bit gummed up

#10 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 03 July 2018 - 08:30 pm

Lots of things already suggested but I had a nightmare low speed lurch/misfire (mostly when filtering) but it ran fine once past the low revs...Tried everything thinking it was ignition at fault. I was due for a tour and thought *u*k it, I'll risk it. It got me to Spain and back and threw a dickie fit 50 miles from home but made it back. Finally tracked it down to torn diaphragm in both carbs. They were absolutely shredded. Mileage was at 70000 at the time. Used nrp diaphragms and still good at 112000..hth.
It is fiddly possible to lift the carb tops off to inspect but be very very careful not to drop anything or lose the mini O ring in the lid....

#11 MickC

MickC

Carpe junky

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:08 am

Mine does the same in that it seems to loose a cylinder or cut out for a second at slow speed I too would say in the 2/3000rpm mark but sometimes higher.

I have a second 4tx which did the same so thought it was normal at the time both bikes had carbon HT leads and taped up-- different coils same carbs (carbs have been cleaned a few times and diaphrams seem ok) but my main 4tx has used a different set of carbs and still did it---same Delkevic 2 into 1 and I have now replaced the diaphram pump I have also put seafoam in the tank a few times--It still does it but on some rides it does run cleanly so I recon its fixing itself :good:So I will leave it for now and see what happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users