• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 slipperyox

slipperyox

discovering Carpe

• 11 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 07 July 2018 - 09:16 am

Hi all. I have just aquired a 1998 850, it has 4tx on the headstock frame. But when I was servicing it, I noticed a 3vd stamped on the engine...

Is this normal? or have I got a second generation bike with a replacement 1st gen engine?

#2 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 07 July 2018 - 09:20 am

Hi all. I have just aquired a 1998 850, it has 4tx on the headstock frame. But when I was servicing it, I noticed a 3vd stamped on the engine...
 Is this normal? or have I got a second generation bike with a replacement 1st gen engine?

4TX engine numbers on both my 97 4TX...hth

#3 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 07 July 2018 - 09:22 am

Don't panic. The 3VD won't fit in your 4tx without a great deal of unnecessary hassle.

If you check on your enjun number it will start 4tx. Other enjun covers etc are likely stamped 3vd as they are generic and it of the big yam parts bin.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#4 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 09:22 am

4TX engine numbers on both my 97 4TX...hth

3VD possibly stamped on various parts throughout the bike but the actual engine number , offside by the clutch housing should be 4TX...
Dapleb beat my edit.....

Edited by Apache, 07 July 2018 - 09:23 am.

#5 slipperyox

slipperyox

discovering Carpe

• 11 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 09:23 am

Thx, I'm guessing the original blew up and was replaced...

Can the stock carbs and ecu of the 4tx run the 3vd p&p?

Bike runs ok, but would have expected more grunt

#6 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 09:24 am

Thx, I'm guessing the original blew up and was replaced...
 Can the stock carbs and ecu of the 4tx run the 3vd p&p?
Bike runs ok, but would have expected more grunt

So is the engine number 3VD or 4TX

#7 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 09:26 am

Dapleb beat my edit.....

It was close!

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#8 slipperyox

slipperyox

discovering Carpe

• 11 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 09:29 am

100% 3vd

#9 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 09:33 am

Wow!!! That would have involved an awful lot of faffing for entirely no gain!! You may now panic!

To answer yer questions... Carbs should beef wine... Black boxes will differ due to firing pattern. ... Also loom differences.

#10 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 09:33 am

It's a ridiculous long shot but can a 4tx be rebuilt using 3vd casing....lift the tank. 1 coil = 3vd. 2 coils = 4tx

If you remove the tank don't forget to close the additional fuel tap underside of tank.....hth

Edited by Apache, 07 July 2018 - 09:37 am.

#11 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 07 July 2018 - 09:35 am

And prolly an awful lot more faffing if ya wanted to revert back to a 4TX engine.  Unless someone managed to swap out all the internals of a 4TX into 3VD casings.

Best check the ecu see if its for a 3VD or 4TX.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#12 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 09:37 am

Trying to think why it couldn't....hmmm.

#13 slipperyox

slipperyox

discovering Carpe

• 11 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 09:39 am

Pic shows 3vd... :unsure2:

Edited by slipperyox, 27 July 2018 - 05:01 pm.

#14 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 07 July 2018 - 09:42 am

It's a ridiculous long shot but can a 4tx be rebuilt using 3vd casing....lift the tank. 1 coil = 3vd. 2 coils = 4tx

If you remove the tank don't forget to close the additional fuel tap underside of tank.....hth

As far as I know it can be. Only differences between 4tx and 3vd are the crank, the cams and the gearboxes (but even the gear assembl;ies are swappable. So it's possible to build 4tx internals into 3VD casings I would say.

As pointed out how many ignition coils ? a 3vd has just one coil, follow the spark plug leads back to the coil to find out

If you look on ebay for tdm 850 CDI you will see from the photos the different types between a 4tx and a 3vd cdi (ECU) and be able to compare, because one cdi unit can run the other type

Another thing you can do is remove the spark plugs and put a feeler down the spark plug holes. (a plastic straw will do) if one piston is at the top when the other is at the bottom it's a 3vd, But if the left cylinder is at the top and the right cylinder is halfway up it's a 4tx crank

Edited by fixitsan, 07 July 2018 - 09:47 am.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#15 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 09:43 am

Interesting, errrr, for us, as it's a 3vd engine with a 4tx oil tank. 

Checking the coils wouldn't necessarily reveal anything, someone on here managed to fit 2 coils to a 3vd.  ECU is prolly the best indicator.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#16 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 07 July 2018 - 09:43 am

Edited by fixitsan, 07 July 2018 - 09:44 am.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#17 slipperyox

slipperyox

discovering Carpe

• 11 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 09:47 am

can't see for sure but looks like one coil. both HT leads meeting up there somewhere..

ecu is under front left fairing. no idea which it is

#18 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 09:49 am

I think you can see the ecu after removing the side panel.

#19 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 07 July 2018 - 09:56 am

i suspect it's a complete 3VD engine that has had the 4TX oil tank piggy backed onto it.  Dapleb do ya tink the 4TX  loom plug would fit directly into the 3VD TCI (ECU) or are they shaped differently?   I wonder if the 4TX loom cud be retained and easily adapted to run the 3VD TCI?    

Am i roight in saying that alls ya hafta do with regards to the physical differences is to remove that black rubber cover from the rear of the 3VD engine and fit the 4TX oil tank in place of it?  Can't be that difficult shirley?

Interesting, errrr, for us, as it's a 3vd engine with a 4tx oil tank. 

Checking the coils wouldn't necessarily reveal anything, someone on here managed to fit 2 coils to a 3vd.  ECU is prolly the best indicator.

Studs,  i have seen a few converted in this manner over the years.  Who fitted 2 coils to a 3VD and more to the point are they both actually firing and in use or is it a bull sh** claim and the second coil is merely bolted onto the frame for some strange aesthetic reasons??

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#20 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 10:00 am

Can't remember who it was Wicky, long time ago.  iirc they altered the wiring and had both coils firing, as in wasted spark.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users