#1 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,676 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:50 pm

Taking a lead from Fav's groundwork, i took a slightly different route.

I used this up/down counter for control https://www.ebay.co....872.m2749.l2649

It can run in a cyclic mode, whereby it counts pulses upto any preset amount (max 9999) and when the target is met it actuates a relay for 0.5 seconds, and then resets the counter to zero to start the next cycle.

The pump is connected to the relay, and is a peristaltic pump so there is no need to observe the laws of gravity when it comes to positioning the reservoir relative to the pump or the outlet, due to the inherent check valve effect of the pump internals.

This is the pump  https://www.ebay.co....872.m2749.l2649

The pump is fitted into an old scottoiler high capacity reservoir, to be mounted behind the number plate. Piccie here https://flic.kr/p/2918k7h

I intend to intercept the front sprocket speed sensor signal. I calculate that at about 60mph there are about 60 pulses per second. The counter has a maximum pulse count of 9999, or about 2.5 hours of running at 60mph with 60Hz pulses. Which is too frequent considering that the pump dispenses 0.25ml, or about 12 drops of oil each time it is actuated. The solution I implemented to stretch out the time between doses requires the use of a CMOS chip, a CD4024, in a divide by 128 configuration. (supply voltage range 3-15Vdc :) )  This gives me a range of between 2 to 21000 minutes between doses (depending on the counter limit in the range of 0-9999)

With the divider in use it can also divide the much more frequent ABS wheel sensor pulses into this working range without any changes, where a dose will be dispensed between every 1 to 800 minutes (at 60mph)

This is the electronics, the up/down counter and divider chip for use with the sprocket speed sensor....for use with the ABS wheel sensor I would expect to have to use an opto isolator to prevent any interaction with the brake system  https://flic.kr/p/27Z6jxb

Edited by fixitsan, 12 July 2018 - 08:53 pm.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#2 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,792 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 13 July 2018 - 06:31 am

Cool concept ! I like the idea of a system being controlled by travel rather than time !

Bjørge

#3 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,395 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 13 July 2018 - 06:51 am

Good one Chris :good:

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#4 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,754 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 13 July 2018 - 09:35 am

Crikey we need a new company founding, "Fixit&Favs" :) who needs scottoiler with these boys around :good:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#5 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 14 July 2018 - 11:38 pm

like the idea. be good to see how ya get on.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#6 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 09:28 am

Update.

I fitted this to the bike yesterday.  (pics to follow), The high capacity reservoir is behind the number plate and I've put the oil dispenser up front just after the front sprocket because with so much chain slack the dispensing nozzle was being hit by the chain (a metal tube, not the old Scottoiler flexi type dispenser) ...then there were problems around securing the pipe and dispenser to the swingarm because I don't have a full compliment of Scottoiler fittings

At first there was no counting because the signal from the speed sensor (a 5V pulse) was being drained by the CMOS chip input circuitry (a bad initial component value guess by me). I corrected that and it worked as expected for a while, but then the pulse counter started to count every single speed sensor pulse because the CMOS divider shorted all outputs to the input.  It was possibly damaged during earlier testing on the bench,or even overheated by the soldering iron  as i tested various configurations, soldering and desoldering several times. Could have been ESD damage too I suppose

Anyway, today's job is to either rebuild the divider circuit or program a microcontroller to do the same thing. The microcontroller idea uses fewer parts and relies on the 5V regulator of the counter module for it's power (and so benefits from it's noise protection too), and it's probably quicker to do that

Hoping to have it running as expected today

#7 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 10:01 am

Cool concept ! I like the idea of a system being controlled by travel rather than time !

Scottoiler's electronic systems gave me the idea (at £200 or more !)  but they use vibration sensing. I think the X-System still uses a constant drip rate, and the E-System delivers in accordance with conditions.   They've obviously had to solve the problem of people not buying their product because they couldn't tackle intercepting a vacuum line (or didn't want to pay a mechanic to install it)

I've bought a couple of bikes with Scottoilers in the past and they were both fitted or working incorrectly.

I've actually got a new Lubeman manual oiler on the shelf which I never got around to fitting, but there you go ! Gilding the lilly probably

#8 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 01:45 pm

Decided that the quicker route was to use a Microcontroller

Did a bit of tyre diameter based maths and calculated that a division of 1230 would cause 1 output pulse to the counter for every 0.1 miles. The counter displays 4 digits which allows a distance interval of between 0.1 - 999.9 miles between oil squirts

Finished controller -> https://flic.kr/p/Kv9QDM

Oil dispenser brackets, front sprocket -> https://flic.kr/p/Kv9Q62

Closer look at oil squirt tube -> (Yes mum, I know it's manky in there ;)https://flic.kr/p/Kv9PiF

Running the bike on the stand it all seems to work and the 0.1 mile counting interval seems quite close to actual distance (measured by the odometer)

I've set the delivery interval to squirt once every 5 miles. I think it's going to be too much but I'll play around later as time goes on, but for now I'll see that the chain gets a good bathing. Nice thing about it so far is that no oil is going on the tyre, but then again the bike is static on the centre stand, once it gets some wind blowing around the rear on the road that might well change !

Edited by fixitsan, 15 July 2018 - 01:47 pm.

#9 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 16 July 2018 - 10:08 pm

Great project, but for the moment I'll stick to the gearbox oil & paintbrush...  :good:

top_640.png

#10 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 10:53 pm

Great project, but for the moment I'll stick to the gearbox oil & paintbrush...  :good:

How are even still awake and sober. Your nation won the world cup for goodness sake ! ;)

#11 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 16 July 2018 - 11:21 pm

How are even still awake and sober. Your nation won the world cup for goodness sake ! ;)

Awake : yes

Sober : not at the moment !   :lol:

top_640.png

#12 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 06:29 pm

Awake : yes