• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BIG BILL

BIG BILL

sticking around

• 32 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 08 February 2009 - 03:12 pm

I have owned ridden a 900 is there actually any difference between the two in power.
The TDM 900 I was looking at did not add up when looking at service history.

Two services missing but he had bill's for oil and filter
24,000 mile service stamped by a Car garage.
Last service again bill's for oil and filters ( no mention of bike make on the Bill's)
So I think I will leave that one.

There is a nice Silver 850 year 2000 for £2000 with 18000 miles FSH Tax and Mot for one year and all old Mot's. Nexus road pipes heated grips and Scottoiler.

Thanks BIG BILL

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 08 February 2009 - 03:17 pm

Didnt notice a huge difference in power. The main difference I see is oil consumption (mkII) and poorer build quality (900).
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 robelst

robelst

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 03:34 pm

QUOTE(dapleb @ Sun 8th Feb 2009, 03:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and poorer build quality (900).

I wouldn't have though that possible laugh.gif
But surely at least the exhausts and rear swing don't rot away just by looking a them (like my '01 model / '02 reg 850) since they are alu and stainless?

Last time I looked at a new 900 in the showroom I found the finish a little "industrial" and cheap, a bit like modern Beemers. But what bits are prone to suffer on a 900 when intensively used? I am thinking of trading my 850 for a 900 some time this year. Or later, if the recession catches up with me...
That was not a banana, Dougal

#4 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 08 February 2009 - 03:46 pm

Yeah dont think it is particular to the 9er. Newer bikes seem to be made with increasingly flimsy plastic bits and with less and less paint.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#5 robelst

robelst

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:50 pm

QUOTE(dapleb @ Sun 8th Feb 2009, 03:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah dont think it is particular to the 9er. Newer bikes seem to be made with increasingly flimsy plastic bits and with less and less paint.

That is true, even Honda is struggling with quality these days while BMW seem to have given up on quality altogether for quite some time.

It's also true that bikes haven't gone up in price that much over the last 10 years, despite additional styling nick-nacks that bikers demand these days, and amendments to pass strict legislations on noise and emmissions while performance still going up. I wouldn't mind paying 8 or 9 grand for a new Tedium if that meant 10 years of corrosion-free riding through wintery conditions with little wear to bearings and suspension, and affordable parts-prices (not 80 quid for a complete set of front brake-caliper seals for example). But that's not what modern biking is about apparently?
That was not a banana, Dougal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users