• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Alancrab

Alancrab

arrived on last train

• 3 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 06 April 2017 - 05:33 pm

Hi all - just joined to ask a few questions before diving in. I'm seriously considering buying a 900 but am worried about the seat height. I've sat on one to try but wasn't flat footed, just on the balls of my feet. The suspension seemed hard as it hardly budged when I sat on it. My inside leg is about 29 inch so I suppose my question is will the suspension come down enough or will I need seat carving or lowering kit ?

#2 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 06 April 2017 - 05:42 pm

Sounds like the suspension's set pretty hard, mine drops a reasonable amount when I sit on it, I think you're supposed to be using something like a 1/3 of the total suspension travel when just sat on the bike.  Obviously reducing the preload will increase the sag, but you'd have to be very light to be off the bottom end of the spring rate.

You can fit longer dogbones on the suspension linkage for not a lot of cash to drop the bike by an inch or so.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#3 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 06 April 2017 - 07:23 pm

Greetings

+ wot Chris sed

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#4 Alancrab

Alancrab

arrived on last train

• 3 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 07:30 pm

Thanks for the repies - was hoping to gain maybe an inch or so just by having the seat carved but always rode cruisers and maxi scooters up until now so unsure how much I'll gain.

#5 Hombre

Hombre

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 06 April 2017 - 07:37 pm

With a 31" inside leg, sag set at a third of total travel with me in the saddle and the front yokes dropped 10mm, I reckon I'm just about flat footed on my Niner.

<p>BSA C15T, Ducati 200 Elite, Villiers Cub Trials Bitsa, Ariel Huntmaster, AJS 650 CSR, Sunbeam S7, Suzuki 650 Katana, Honda 400-4, Bultaco 350 Sherpa, Cotton Minarelli, Fantic 303, Yamaha SRX 400, Yamaha 550 Virago, Kawasaki ZZR 1100,  Fantic 305, Yamaha TDM 850 '91, Yamaha TDM 900 '04.  Ducati 200 Elite (again and now completed restoration), Yamaha SRX-600

#6 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:18 pm

Hi and welcome.  I've got a 29" inside leg and just about managed on a 9'er.  I did fit longer dog bones for my euro trip which helped me in getting my feet more planted but it does leave the bike with less clearance.  I upped the suspension settings to reduce sag and it worked fine on the smooth tarmac, bit harsh on the rough stuff though.

I've also sat on Kelpie's 9'er which has had the seat sculpted, seems a better option imho.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#7 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:53 pm

..........FWIW........ I'm equally challenged....maybe up to an inch more so.....and on my 850 mk2 ( afaik the same seat height)
I carved the seat myself using an electic carving knife from Argos (£13) and a heavyduty staple gun.....

.............................jobs a carrot

.............................carefully remove existing staples, and vinyl cover, remove existing thin foam top-layer sheet,
carve to desired profile, re-apply top layer, carefully restaple vinyl, starting at tank end,
ensuring symmetry, and sufficient overlap at the back

.............................worked great for me!

also dropped through the forks 10mm , which probably helped a bit,
& also improved turning response (apparently)

As mentioned, on the 900 you also have the option of longer dogbones, (not on the 850)
which seems like a cheap, simple & effective solution)

I don't feel so much of a short-arse now ( at least on the bike!)
though still in search of grippy soles for my boots ( dropped it twice on diesel slicks)

.......Jiff.

#8 Alancrab

Alancrab

arrived on last train

• 3 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 10:08 pm

Mmmmm lots of options! the seat carving place charges £30 and is just down the road from the dealer so might try a bit of negotiation see if I can get it done before I collect the bike then if its still too tall invest in the dog bones. Thanks for all the advice - if it all comes off I'll be back !!

#9 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 07 April 2017 - 01:55 am

Hi and welcome.  Don't worry as Alan Eccles managed just fine with his old TDM 900 and he'd be shorter dan yew....

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#10 TDM4ever

TDM4ever

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 07 April 2017 - 06:45 am

No need to lower anything. Just a matter of technique...   ;)

hqdefault.jpg

#11 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 07 April 2017 - 10:19 am

I took a Buell Ulysses for a test ride some years ago, and the girl who took it out after me was about a foot shorter than me and had to do that every time she stopped :D  Don't think I'd fancy it to be honest.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#12 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 07 April 2017 - 10:17 pm

I took a Buell Ulysses for a test ride some years ago, and the girl who took it out after me was about a foot shorter than me and had to do that every time she stopped :D  Don't think I'd fancy it to be honest.

What was the Ulysses like Chris? I like the look of them and the quirky engineering but haven't ridden one. I considered trading my 900 for a low mile '07 one earlier this year - the dealer offered a really good trade in over the phone. Weather got in the way for a few days and I got cold feet :) I also read up on crank problems on the '07 models but this looked like a late registered '06. The Uly's an itch I might have to scratch :) How did you find it? I take it you didn't buy one.

Edited by Jim, 07 April 2017 - 10:17 pm.

84 Honda XL600R  :)

04 TDM900  :good:

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#13 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 30 May 2020 - 12:46 pm

though still in search of grippy soles for my boots ( dropped it twice on diesel slicks)

.......Jiff.

Update: Vibram make a variety of chunky add-on soles which, at their various outlets, they will apply to your boots....work great

#14 Gdogg

Gdogg

has been here 4ever

• 1,160 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 30 May 2020 - 02:57 pm

Or get some of these .....

You can colour match them to your bike !

Attached File  7841799B-E04C-4769-8154-87D48FD84D4D.png   501.09KB   0 downloads

Edited by Gdogg, 30 May 2020 - 03:03 pm.

<p> Now Sold 😔......850 MK2A 4TX6 in Silver, Stainless steel hand rolled slip on end can, stainless 2into1 headers, K&N air filter, Hagon progressive front springs, Gdogg modified rear shock, Else Made "Ridgeback" Gel Seat, Gdogg under seat fender extender, Powrspark leads, Carbon fiber effect vinyl wrap fairing decals & logos, Michelin Pilot Road2's, V-Strom hand guards, Givi monorack & box (colour matched side rails).

#15 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 30 May 2020 - 03:04 pm

Drop forks 10mm through yokes to compensate if you use longer dog bones
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#16 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 30 May 2020 - 03:07 pm

.......Jiff.

Update: Vibram make a variety of chunky add-on soles which, at their various outlets, they will apply to your boots....work great

Sounds like a good idea. :good:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#17 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 30 May 2020 - 05:35 pm

If you get a 900 and need dog bones, I've got a pair that someone on here made. They work well enough but I just didn't take to them. You will likely have to modify the side stand. If your new bike has a main stand on it they can catch in corners if you like to lean well into corners  I'm 30 inch inside leg and have little problems. I was on a rider course a couple of years ago and the instructor told everyone not to place both feet flat, and to lean the bike to be supported by your left leg. I don't use both legs much, except when it's windy blowing from my left.

Edited by TKH, 30 May 2020 - 05:37 pm.

#18 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 31 May 2020 - 10:49 am

Hi and welcome.  Don't worry as Alan Eccles managed just fine with his old TDM 900 and he'd be shorter dan yew....

I'll have you know khaaanto my namesake (although my crabs were dealt with :unsure2: ) and I have the same inside leg measurement. My only problem was squashing my nob on the frame filler  :pimp:

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#19 Kelpie

Kelpie

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 944 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 06 June 2020 - 07:01 pm

Bit of a late reply but here's my tuppence worth.

I have a 27" inside leg (don't laff), and I'm a 30 year old (+100% vat) granny.  I'm on my 3rd TDM in around 12 years and I've only ever dropped one once and that was as I was foolishly parking on a hill and it slipped off the side stand.  Oh no, wait, twice, once on a gravel car park in Pennan 10 years ago, and  it's on Youtube if you want a good laugh. 

NB - the video is pre-IAM training, I use better road lines now and don't fall over when I turn.  I also avoid gravel car parks.

It's all about practise and good planning.  I did the IAM course and went on to be an observer for a few years.  I can't recommend the IAM course highly enough.  My slow speed skills were dire before that so I was lucky not to drop it more often.  I'm used to watching where I stop and making sure my foot isn't going to land in a hole.  I watch out for dodgy cambers and make use of curbs if necessary.  I'm also using a custom Topsellerie seat that's seen me through the whole 12 years and 3 bikes and although it's wasn't a low seat, it's probably pretty squashed now.  That helps a lot.  I tried longer dog bones a couple of years ago at the suggestion of my well-meaning husband.  I detested the handling on the bike when it was lowered.  I changed them back straight away.

I also have Daytona MStar boots which are expensive but brilliant.  My first pair last 10 years before the soles started to wear out.  You'll never ever have wet feet with a pair of Daytonas.  Have a look on eBay and buy direct from Germany, much cheaper than UK prices.

I have no issue with the height or weight of the bike, even fully loaded.  Although I do struggle to manoeuvre it from the ground these days, unless I'm actually on it.  But that's what husbands are for.   :P

Mine's the grey bike (and the fastest).

Attached Files

You don't need balls to ride a big bike.

#20 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,508 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 06 June 2020 - 07:38 pm

If you fit longer dog bones, you need to reduce the sidestand length by about 3mm minimum. I ground mine down.
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users