#141 AzzA

AzzA

Knows more than an horses arse!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,548 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:08 am

You're welcome, and...

Big thanks goes to the Carpe Administrators for the recent updates that now allow us to upload files to the forum server. Beers and cake for you all.

gallery_10460_302_12664.png

#142 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• 4,205 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:31 am

Hopefully Azza wont mind me adding to this again.

I have now had my TFI on since January and have covered a good few miles including a trip to Germany during the coldest Easter holiday ever!!!!!!

So far I have tweaked the settings from my original base setting and for me it has been a great mod. My mileage has barely suffered and I am still getting an average of 200-210 miles before I get the flashing fuel gauge so that is working out at approx 52mpg  mostly commuting to work.

There has only been one incident so far were I thought the stutter had come back, initially i thought the connection or the unit had failed. After much checking and head scratching I tried the spark plugs and that cured the fault ( they were due a change at the next service anyhow).

So big thumbs up for the TFI unit. 

TAM

2008 TDM 900 in BLACK, MRA Vario, DL handguards & more to come
1994 TDM 850 mkI Silver, with Blueflame end can, Gone to a new owner & I kinda miss her!

th_09062006104.jpg th_02012009095.jpg

Only a Biker knows why a Dog sticks it head out the car window

#143 AzzA

AzzA

• 1,548 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:07 pm

Cheers TAM,

plugs are overdue on mine, just, but no signs of the st-t-t-tutters yet... I must get around to that 40k service while it's cold and damp here.

Glad the TFI solved your woes too... I was so happy with it I thought it worth sharing.

#144 td or sv? That is the question.

td or sv? That is the question.

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 111 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:03 am

Another convert here.

On the recommendation of the trusty forum, I purchased a TFI-1025 from a US-based seller via Amazon. Had the unit fitted whilst the bike was being serviced and MOT'd, when I picked it up the new-found smoothness really caught me out, I have been so used to using a lot of clutch to counter the innate jerkiness. Simply, it is a revelation, I can even trickle down to really low revs in 2nd to take junctions where previously I'd have to drop into 1st and keep the revs up.

Thanks to Azza et al for their recommendations and advice on fitting, I haven't even had the chance to play with the settings yet, but on current performance I shall probably leave well alone.

#145 Wallander

Wallander

sticking around

• 32 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:07 am

New guy here from Hungary, with a '05 TDM 900 with 37k kms, all stock except for the airbox flap mod I just did. The bike runs great and strong, but low rpm running could be improved - the airbox flap did made it better.

Reading through this thread, if I understand correctly, all the TFI-1025 does is that adds more fuel, so changes the AFR. But, isn't the dashboard CO feature for the same function? I understand you can tweak the TFI-1025 more (yellow pot for quick acceleration, red pot for ~70%+ rpm running), but it seems mostly the green pot is used for curing the bad low rpm running, this is what we are after.

Can someone please advise what is the difference between the TFI-1025 green pot and the dashboard CO feature, why the TFI-1025 is preferred?

Also, exactly how does the CO sensor affects the ECU? What happens when it is removed? And what about the 680K resistor mod? Sorry for the many questions :) 

Thank you.

print02.JPG

#146 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• 4,205 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:28 am

New guy here from Hungary, with a '05 TDM 900 with 37k kms, all stock except for the airbox flap mod I just did. The bike runs great and strong, but low rpm running could be improved - the airbox flap did made it better.

Reading through this thread, if I understand correctly, all the TFI-1025 does is that adds more fuel, so changes the AFR. But, isn't the dashboard CO feature for the same function? I understand you can tweak the TFI-1025 more (yellow pot for quick acceleration, red pot for ~70%+ rpm running), but it seems mostly the green pot is used for curing the bad low rpm running, this is what we are after.

Can someone please advise what is the difference between the TFI-1025 green pot and the dashboard CO feature, why the TFI-1025 is preferred? From what I understand the dash board adjust has a limited scope of adjustment with regards to the air fuel ratio were as the TFI has a greater range of adjustment by adjust the duration of the signal to the injectors

Also, exactly how does the CO sensor affects the ECU? What happens when it is removed? And what about the 680K resistor mod?  Again from what I have gathered the O2 sensor monitors the exhuast gases O2 level and adjusts the fueling to the set values the resistor mod fools the O2 sensor so the fueling is effectivly running slightly richer.

TAM

Edited by TDMTAM, 22 August 2013 - 07:29 am.

1994 TDM 850 mkI Silver, with Blueflame end can, Gone to a new owner & I kinda miss her!

#147 arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:24 am

I was going to drill my headers last week and weld in sample points and play with the trims on the dyno but it was all a bit of a rush plus HM have been flat out so dyno time was slim, IMO the only way you will see the trims is to sample each header, I wanted to level them before mapping. Think most here know from experimentation that the trims do have an effect as often when cans etc are fitted you can add plus/minus whatever to each and get better throttle response, I just wanted to fully conclude what the values mean, my 2012 was running very very lean in the close loop zone but I knew this from the headers, now mapped and very smooth with 81bhp at 65ftlb she's nice to ride and very smooth! Im not running the TFI but defo would if I had not gone with the PC.

Lean 900 blue=before. (click for dyno chart)
http://www.myalbum.c...to-FSPXOD4A.jpg
Also mapped it with the baffles, they killed the mid by near 10ftlb!

Edited by Arthur, 22 August 2013 - 08:38 am.

2012 Grey 900, Dual HIDs, Fork gaiters, Yam centre stand, Givi crash bars, S320 DRLs custom mounts, PAIR removed, Modded airbox, K&N, Warrior cans, PC3 - Custom map 81bhp @ 65ft-lb, Lambda removed, HM Quickshifter (removed), Evans waterless coolant, Hel lines, Dome SS exhaust nuts, Clear winker lenses, Yamaha +145 Screen + MRA X-creen, Heated grips with relay cut out and custom carbon mount, DL Hand Guards and milled bar ends, SW barback risers, 5w SMD LED side light, LED stop/tail reflectors, 2 x Front mudguard extenders, Custom rear under hugger, Hugger extender, Wrapped HT leads, Aux power sockets, Givi V47NN Top box with LED stop, SW motech mount, Givi PL347 mount and E21s, SW Motech Evo Tank bag, Stainless rad guard, Top Sellerie gel seat, RAM mounts for sat nav and phone, Handy tube and more.     Follow me on twitter @arthurbikemad

#148 td or sv? That is the question.

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:38 pm

Me again.

Shamefully I have only now run the bike on a full tank of fuel since the installation of the Dobeck doo-da. I can report that I have joined the 50mpg club, membership of which has been elusive until now. So another bonus, beyond the sewing-machine sweetness at low revs (well, a very old sewing machine).

Money well spent.

#149 td or sv? That is the question.

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:38 pm

Not quite so happy now....

Have any of the Dobeck stalwarts experienced the unit going out of tune? My bike has now started returning to its former jerkiness, fuel consumption has also dropped back to 45mpg, as it was pre-installation.

Time to have a fiddle over the weekend......

#150 JetC

JetC

seems to like Carpe

• 40 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:57 am

Can be electrickery contacts problem, depends on your installation method.

#151 AzzA

AzzA

• 1,548 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:17 am

Have any of the Dobeck stalwarts experienced the unit going out of tune? My bike has now started returning to its former jerkiness, fuel consumption has also dropped back to 45mpg, as it was pre-installation.

You're indicating your bike has gone rich; using more fuel and stuttering (hesitating)... check your cold start mechanism; there's a DIY guide in the Carpe Knowledge Base and a quick check is to press on the mechanism (from which side of the bike I can't recall, see the KB) to ensure it's going all the way home once the engine warms up.

As for the TFI...

1 - Make sure the system still has power, and that the LED's a re doing the correct flashing patterns (as per the manual and/or Dobek website). If you were to have lost power to the TFI, or lost one connection to an injector the TFI will do nothing... it will revert to your base tuning, as a kind of "limp home mode". Also check to see where the red LED turns on, the tacho' needle should be very high.

2 - It would be unlikely that a potentiometer (pot) has moved, even if you mounted the unit somewhere with very high vibration, but it is possible that a pot has a weak internal connection; these can usually be sorted by turning the pot left and right a few times before returning to the original setting (it's a mechanical wiper, so actioning it can clean it). Those little trim-pots are used widely, in all sorts of gear, and aren't often a source of grief but the TFI is relatively simple so the likely weak spots are the few mechanical connections it has (so the 4 wires and the pot's).

3 - If all your connections and pots are good and the LED's are still not flashing as they should, then there might be a broken wire or cold solder joint on the TFI printed circuit board (PCB). This is where you'll need someone of modest electronic and soldering skills. Alternately contact support at Dobeck; they might take a few days to get back to you but they do support the product. Here's the link:

http://www.techlusio...becksupport.asp

#152 td or sv? That is the question.

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:11 pm

Azza,

Thank you for such a considered response. I had a quick look at the Dobeck yesterday and it appeared that one of the spade connectors may have worked a little loose, so I pushed it fully home and took the bike for a quick spin around the block (weather was evil here yesterday) and I think the smoothness on and off the throttle has returned, so I am hoping it was as simple as that. I now have my car back so the bike might not get a good run for a while.....

Thanks also JetC for replying.

#153 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• 4,205 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:25 pm

Funnily enough I noticed my TDM misbehaving just yesterday feeling worse than it ever had with regards to the surging. Popped the side panel off and had a wee poke around and found the main power connection was green with corrosion, gave it a clean and some AFC50 grease and jobs a carrot.

TAM

#154 Bender

Bender

discovering Carpe

• 11 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 11:26 am

Gents,

I hope can ask some newbie questions:

Will this work mod on a 2008 TDM and is there any preference over either the EJK or TFI device. Sorry I'm new and still learning about my TDM and the mods that are out there. I no mechanic but I'm happy to tinker and learn :)

Cheers

Glenn

#155 supamanaint

supamanaint

arrived on last train

• 8 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 10:28 am

Gents,

I hope can ask some newbie questions:

Will this work mod on a 2008 TDM and is there any preference over either the EJK or TFI device. Sorry I'm new and still learning about my TDM and the mods that are out there. I no mechanic but I'm happy to tinker and learn :)

Cheers

Glenn

Hi Glenn,

Mate I have a TFI on my 09 TDM900 and it just turned it into a much better bike. It is an easy mod to do by just following the direction AzzA has posted.

Cheers.

Shane

Oh and yes it will work on your 08

Edited by supamanaint, 15 February 2015 - 10:32 am.

#156 AndyMc

AndyMc

arrived on last train

• 6 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 10:56 am

Advice needed please. Bought my 2010 (I think) tdm 900 a few weeks ago. Rode it home 260 miles on standard exhausts. It performed quite well though a little snatch you at low revs. Changed the exhausts to after market ones with baffles in and it is now a pig to ride when trying to maintain a steady speed in town and I guess between 2000 - 3500 revs it makes for a very involved ride surging and hesitating. I have read about the co adjustment on the dash mine are c1-14 and c2-16 did try adjusting up and down but as I don't fully understand what the optimum should be have left it at that. I have tried to find a Tfi-1025 or EJK but can,t the only ones advertised on eBay are for up to 2007. Would one of those fit mine as there seems to be some difference between the later models unless I have misread that as the airbox mod doesn't,t apparently work on the last of the line. Any advice is welcome. Thanks
R1 race/track bike and TDM 900. Previously more bikes than you can shake a stick at 😊

#157 Oldgit59

Oldgit59

sticking around

• 24 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 06:46 am

Hi Carpers, I have the same bike 2010 and same question. Dobeck Sales believe the 2007 version should be compatible with the 2010 due to"standardisation by Yamaha (their words). I am ready to invest 250$ but want to be sure that it will work. Any experiences please?

#158 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 01:10 pm

$250 US seams a lot, mine was £110. I've got one working fine on my 2008.

Try ebay

#159 Oldgit59

Oldgit59

sticking around

• 24 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 06:26 am

Thanks TKH, I have looked in eBay and cannot find the right model. Other models are a similar price. My biggest concern is that the fuel mapping changed after 2007 and I wonder if the Dobeck will still be effective. Also if the injector electrical connectors are the same for the 2008+ bikes so that the Dobeck will fit.

#160 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 03:02 pm

As said mine is 2008 BUT it's a weird one. It appears to be part early and part later e.g.  the engine is grey, and the gauges are dark an not white. Also, the bike is registered as a 900A but I'm sure it isn't....

If it helps mine was actually for a Kawasaki and I had to switch round the injector wiring.

Where abouts are you? The setup on mine is a little more complex than the actual TDM version (that'll teach me to double check the ebay listing!!) but if  you're local to me you can come and have  look and see if it'll work on yours.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jerk, stutter, chug, slow, buck, throttle, EFI, fix, tune, tuning

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users