#1 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 27 February 2017 - 03:56 pm

I have noticed that along with the new led loights what seem popular are an awful lot of ve_hickles with non functioning or even worse incorrectly functioning led loights!

Hoorah for progress!

Are the lights what blind you even on dip the led ones too?
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#2 Quartermaster

Quartermaster

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 927 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 27 February 2017 - 04:04 pm

I've got LED lights on the Tracer and they are definitely better than the old TDM900 ones (not exactly difficult). I think the ones that scatter light everywhere, and which I thought was an automatic MOT fail, are HID units. Peugeot 106 drivers under the age of 6 seem to have a lot of them.

'73 Honda CB500 Four, Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Triumph Tiger Sport 660.

#3 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 27 February 2017 - 04:29 pm

I dunno, I don't go out when it's dark. :lol:

Sideys GS headlights are LED but they don't blind you, more like really bright sparkly stars than a full on supernova, if ya get me drift.  Methinks a lot of peeps fit the wrong bulbs and/or don't adjust them properly.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#4 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 27 February 2017 - 06:50 pm

I do find the LED "running lights" that a lot of new cars have these days are over bright.

These are the ones that dim when dipped beam comes on - normally the auto-on dipped light when it gets dark.

As for HIDs - too many scally's dont do the reading and fit HIDs designed for projector headlights in reflector headlights...normally use too higher K rating meaning that over blue light as well...

MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#5 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 27 February 2017 - 06:51 pm

If you blink fast enough you won't see them

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#6 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 07:44 pm

Lolzio.

I have seen quite a few rear loights that flicker on/off loike ticken tockens. that cant be too clever!

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#7 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 27 February 2017 - 08:06 pm

Got a camera on the motorhome which I use full time as a mirror - you see the DRLs behind completely extinguish when the camera frame rate and DRLs synch

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#8 dmmsta

dmmsta

• 3,627 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 09:46 am

Lolzio.

I have seen quite a few rear loights that flicker on/off loike ticken tockens. that cant be too clever!

That might be the new system that flashes the brake lights.

I think the new BMW GS's etc have this - is dependant on speed, and amount of deceleration.

-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#9 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:06 am

Got a camera on the motorhome which I use full time as a mirror - you see the DRLs behind completely extinguish when the camera frame rate and DRLs synch

You would think that by now this sort of thing would be on higher end bikes. It could be incorporated into a GPS screen and a rider could toggle between the satnav and rear view camera.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#10 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 12:18 pm

That might be the new system that flashes the brake lights.
I think the new BMW GS's etc have this - is dependant on speed, and amount of deceleration.

Mostly on lorries/flat beds. Leds seen to flicker/flash when faulty rather than just completely be out!

#11 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 28 February 2017 - 09:59 pm

I do find the LED "running lights" that a lot of new cars have these days are over bright.

These are the ones that dim when dipped beam comes on - normally the auto-on dipped light when it gets dark.

As for HIDs - too many scally's dont do the reading and fit HIDs designed for projector headlights in reflector headlights...normally use too higher K rating meaning that over blue light as well...

Do you mean fog lights which btw are illegal to use in more than 100m visibility. Someone should remind plod......

#12 dmmsta

dmmsta

• 3,627 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 03:42 pm

Do you mean fog lights which btw are illegal to use in more than 100m visibility. Someone should remind plod......

Nah - I mean those LED strip DRL's that the majority of new cars have - photo looks like US, but you get what I mean:
24344d1349372881-headlight-modification-

-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----

#13 danceswithmopeds

danceswithmopeds

full o shoite

• 2,425 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 01 March 2017 - 03:54 pm

Flickering, You'll see the same  on most  LED signs, e.g price list outside petrol station.

Could it be some kind of stroboscopic side effect between digital camera and frequency of light?

#14 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:07 am

Flickering of LED lights is caused by pulsing voltage/current - LEDS are extremely fast light sources - they could actually flash some million times a sec, I think. The regulators are flashing, so unless there is some kind of smoothening filter - they flicker.... 

Bjørge

#15 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 06 March 2017 - 12:28 pm

all lamps flicker, even incandescent lamps.

Its just that the frequency they mostly operate on, the human eye can't detect it normally.

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#16 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:08 am

all lamps flicker, even incandescent lamps.

Its just that the frequency they mostly operate on, the human eye can't detect it normally.

Incandescent bulbs are quite slow, so they don't flicker much even at 50Hz AC. Fluorescent tubes do too, unless thay have a "slow" coating that keeps glowing between pulses.

BTW, there should be no reason why LED lights would flicker on a car - or, at least, it would be quite easy to avoid. Flickering LEDs in houses is an increasing problem as drivers are to "pass on" dimmer input to the LED. 

Bjørge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users