• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Johnotdm900

Johnotdm900

sticking around

• 25 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 04 February 2019 - 09:34 pm

Hi all.. my 03 tdm 900 wont start.. it turns over but doesnt fire.. the spark plugs have little spark so im replacing them tomorrow.. does anyone have any similar problems and remedies? Thanks

#2 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 04 February 2019 - 11:48 pm

battery good and fully charged,  fresh fuel, side stand is in the up position, have you looked at the error codes? HT leads arcing out to the frame? 

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#3 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 04 February 2019 - 11:53 pm

Very few chances it's caused by the plugs but who knows ?

Clean and check plugs gap beforehand, plugs on an injected engine last longer than on a carbed engine.

Tell more about your bike and its maintenance history.

I had a similar issue, it was an injection failure due to bad fuel which clogged the injectors. 

battery good and fully charged,  fresh fuel, side stand is in the up position, have you looked at the error codes? HT leads arcing out to the frame? 

Side-stand down gives the same result as the engine kill switch off.

Weak HT leads ?

top_640.png

#4 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 04 February 2019 - 11:55 pm

Very few chances it's caused by the plugs but who knows ?

Clean and check plugs gap beforehand, plugs on an injected engine last longer than on a carbed engine.

Tell more about your bike and its maintenance history.

I had a similar issue, it was an injection failure due to bad fuel which clogged the injectors. 

Side-stand down gives the same result as the engine kill switch off.

Weak HT leads ?

yes quite likely they are  weak and leaking.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#5 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 12:35 am

yes quite likely they are  weak and leaking.

I know how that feels.................................................................................  :pimp:

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#6 Johnotdm900

Johnotdm900

sticking around

• 25 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 07:39 am

Thanks for the replies.. its a TDM 900 5ps which has had the basic maint done every year however i have never changed the plugs in 3 years.. i sit on the motorway in all wheather for about 140 mile per week.. i hope its the plugs as this is a relativley easy fix.. other than that i have no clue..

#7 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 08:03 am

Can you hear the fuel pump whirr when you turn the ignition on ?

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#8 CrashTestDuffy

CrashTestDuffy

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 124 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 05 February 2019 - 10:23 am

Mine was in with the same issue last month, the connections under the tank had corroded from exposure (not totally protected from elements and road crap under there) so it was turning over but never priming.

#9 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,395 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 05 February 2019 - 10:48 am

I know how that feels.................................................................................  :pimp:

Lol

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#10 Johnotdm900

Johnotdm900

sticking around

• 25 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 11:02 am

Mine was in with the same issue last month, the connections under the tank had corroded from exposure (not totally protected from elements and road crap under there) so it was turning over but never priming.

What connections

#11 CrashTestDuffy

CrashTestDuffy

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 124 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 05 February 2019 - 11:16 am

Iirc there's a male-female connector block under the tank on the left (clutch) side. Could not tell you specifically what it connects, just that the mechanic had to clean the spades in it and change a couple outright to get it going again.

#12 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 12:03 pm

Connector maintenance is worth doing, annually. Just open and close all connectors and you make a good difference,. Apply a contact lube with corrosion inhibitors and you'll have very few electrical problems. The connectors under the tank are all worth splitting open, and all relay plugs too.

Edited by fixitsan, 05 February 2019 - 12:07 pm.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#13 Johnotdm900

Johnotdm900

sticking around

• 25 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 03:26 pm

Cheers.. its defo worth a shot before i put the side pannels and radiator back together..

#14 divvxj

divvxj

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 05 February 2019 - 05:10 pm

Can you hear the fuel pump whirr when you turn the ignition on ?

wire corroded on the fuel pump , took the mechanic ages to figure it out

#15 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 07 February 2019 - 09:56 pm

Yes, check for wires & connectors corrosion !

I always forget to mention that problem but it's very common in countries with a damp weather.

top_640.png

#16 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 07 February 2019 - 10:21 pm

Yes, check for wires & connectors corrosion !

I always forget to mention that problem but it's very common in countries with a damp weather.

Don't rub it in! :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users