#1 Nig

Nig

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 217 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 08 February 2019 - 12:12 am

Hello chaps / Chapesses

During Xmas holiday bike service noticed that the Rear Disc on me 2005 900er is severely uneven. Lots of ridges all around the contact surfaces.

Never noticed a lack in braking performance before I parked it up in December and there is loads of meat on the pads (which have the corresponding groves in them from the disc)

Use the back brake with normal ratio of application (dry conditions 75% front / 25% rear and in the wet 50% front / 50% rear)

The question is what replacement part would you recommend,

1. OEM from Fowlers or some such supplier at premium price (£180 odd)

2. Wemoto Premium EBC (£80 odd)

3. Wemoto Budget (£50 odd)

4 Flee bay -  £30 jobby.

Are the bolts a right chew to get out and would you recommend getting new ones with the disc.

I cant see me getting back on it till the weather turns so no great hurry to sort out.

Cheers in anticipation

Aluminium Welding with Parkinson,s

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 08 February 2019 - 04:46 am

OEM fur sure.

Not sure about 9er bolts but probably made of cheese. Correct fitting implement, heat and monkey pith should help.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 08 February 2019 - 08:32 am

I usually leave grooved discs if the minimum thickness is within spec and they pass the mot. You get slightly more braking force from a grooved discs due to an increase in surface area. If the pads fit perfectly and the caliper slides freely then there isn't going to be a problem.

Cosmetically some people might baulk at it though

Edited by fixitsan, 08 February 2019 - 01:27 pm.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#4 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 08 February 2019 - 09:06 am

If you do decide to change it, get some heat on the bolts before trying to move them. They're Loctited in at the factory, but a bit of heat melts the Loctite and they come out easily. I think I put a Brembo on mine when I replaced it, but I can't say I'm impressed by the quality of it though. I'd go OEM if I replaced it again.

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#5 hallrob1

hallrob1

has been here 4ever

• 1,098 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 08 February 2019 - 09:20 am

I've put an EBC on mine and it seems as good as OEM over this winter.

If you order from https://ebcbrakesdir...002-2014/38729#  and use the discount code of MC368998 for 20% off you can get one delivered for £70.

+1 on the heat treatment - a couple of minutes with the heat gun and a decent allen key and all the bolts came out easily.

1999 Gilera Runner 125SP, 2002 Piaggio X9 250, 2004 Bandit 600, 2005 TDM 900, 2007 Honda CB1300S, 2008 Tiger 1050, 1996 Triumph Sprint 900, 2006 Tiger 955i, 2018 Triumph Tiger Sport,  2023 Triumph Tiger 900, XJR1300, 2011 (2009) TDM 900, 

Farkles - Laser Duo Techs, MTC Stainless Exhausts, Laser Duo Techs, Power Commander and custom map, Tenere 1200 Handguards, Yamaha Heated Grips, MRA Vario screen, SW Motech Alurack,  Givi and Hepco and Becker top boxes, Givi Engine bars, Garmin Zumo XT

#6 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 08 February 2019 - 10:33 am

I'd definitely avoid ebay. Likely to be a cheap Chinese disk that will be more trouble than it's worth. Cheap Wemoto is probably similar. 

#7 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 08 February 2019 - 02:57 pm

As all above but don't be intimidated by applying heat. You only need a bit of warming , not glowing cherry red. I usually apply what I think is enough pressure on the bolt with the appropriate Allen key, then warm with a heat gun. You'll feel the loctite give up and won't have overheated anything.
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#8 divvxj

divvxj

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 08 February 2019 - 03:56 pm

Hello chaps / Chapesses

During Xmas holiday bike service noticed that the Rear Disc on me 2005 900er is severely uneven. Lots of ridges all around the contact surfaces.

Never noticed a lack in braking performance before I parked it up in December and there is loads of meat on the pads (which have the corresponding groves in them from the disc)

Use the back brake with normal ratio of application (dry conditions 75% front / 25% rear and in the wet 50% front / 50% rear)

The question is what replacement part would you recommend,

1. OEM from Fowlers or some such supplier at premium price (£180 odd)

2. Wemoto Premium EBC (£80 odd)

3. Wemoto Budget (£50 odd)

4 Flee bay -  £30 jobby.

Are the bolts a right chew to get out and would you recommend getting new ones with the disc.

I cant see me getting back on it till the weather turns so no great hurry to sort out.

Cheers in anticipation

had to buy another wheel with a disc attached :rant:

#9 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 04:53 pm

Might be worth cross referencing the part number...I know the 850 rear disc was the same as the old FZ600. It could save some money

#10 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 08 February 2019 - 05:09 pm

Pretty sure i have a 9r rear disc on my 850.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#11 Nig

Nig

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 05:17 pm

Wow - Thanks for comprehensive feedback.

Before jumping in I will check thickness with vernier and pay attention to braking performance when I get back on it in a few weeks time.

When refurbing rear wheel a few years ago, fitting new bearing and respraying it - I decided to leave the disc on as the first bolt I tried to undo was solid and I thought it was going to shear. Heat sounds like the way to go.

Thanks Gang much appreciated

#12 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 06:27 pm

Pretty sure i have a 9r rear disc on my 850.

When I got my mk1 the rear disk and caliper came from a 600 Genesis I had collecting dust......So it sounds like the same disc fits the 900 ?  Different calibob though

#13 MickC

MickC

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 09 February 2019 - 12:15 pm

When I was doing my MK1 850 I had to get the disc off to repair two threads (one missing bolt head and one part drilled out but given up on- not by me) I got new bolts and tried the old welding a nut to the bolt heads and spannering them off welder was a bit tired and only got one out and usead six nuts.So all I did was build up a weld line acrose the head of the bolt, the bolt was now cherry red and all I did was get the mole grips out gripped the weld ridge and they undone a piece of wee wee.Protect the disc If you need It.

#14 Andy25

Andy25

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 09 February 2019 - 08:00 pm

I've replaced a front Disc with one from Wemoto
No issues with quality etc stops the Bike etc

Being a Scotsman ( Tight Fisted ! ) it was probably the cheaper
of those on offer
So just because it's cheaper don't rule it out

#15 mh1848

mh1848

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 10 February 2019 - 06:20 pm

I'd definitely avoid ebay. Likely to be a cheap Chinese disk that will be more trouble than it's worth. Cheap Wemoto is probably similar. 

i have three wavy disks on my MK1 none are major brands and all work efficiently with even wear and no judders and i have had no problems  - and surprising that chinese space rocket made it ok - given all the crap they make

TDM 1991 - two into one micron mated with a A16 Road and Race Supplies Stainless short can - Conti Road Attacks - Kagazume Wavy Rear Disc - Bagster tank cover - homemade sheepskin seat cover on top of custom seat cover - NonFango topbox on homemade mount - custom fusebox - very loud airhorn and cyclone alarm

#16 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 07:10 pm

i have three wavy disks on my MK1 none are major brands and all work efficiently with even wear and no judders and i have had no problems  - and surprising that chinese space rocket made it ok - given all the crap they make

#17 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 07:15 pm

Do you mean that one that broke down? Seriously I have a lot of Chinese stuff but most of it is cheap tat. Although a lot of Premium phones now are made in China - Huawei, HTC, honor, etc.

Point is you get what you pay for - usually.

#18 Nig

Nig

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 17 August 2021 - 05:38 pm

Hi Chaps / ess,s

I know its a little down the road since this was started but i eventually got the rear disc changed in January this year. I opted for the Wemoto EBC option at £80 or so.

Had right job getting all of the bolts out with one being particular difficult (ahem ! Stud extractor required as bolt snapped off).

Any hoo - everything was Boo tick until about May when i noticed feedback coming through brake pedal when it was applied - now it is pretty bad with the pedal pushing my foot up and down when softly applied. 

Warped disc would you believe.

It did pass its MOT today regardless of this as braking performance appears unhindered.

WISH I HAD GOT OEM !! Bugger 

#19 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 17 August 2021 - 07:10 pm

Just make sure yer calipots ain't sticking nig.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#20 Nig

Nig

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 17 August 2021 - 10:13 pm

Ooh - Never gave that a thought Dappers - Will get a look at it this weekend - I had to put new rubber boots on to the caliper slider bolts when i done the disc - got them from Wemoto when i ordered the disc but one of them was split when i got it oot the bag - they sent me another which was OK - but it might be worth a look at them again - just to be sure. 

Cheers me dears. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users