14 replies to this topic

#1 Stiggy

Stiggy

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 125 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 05 October 2007 - 10:33 am

Hi all, I'm a relatively new poster here, but have been a fan of TDMs for about 10 years, having owned an 850 back in '97 for a few years.

It's a long post, but I hope one that you'll find interesting/enlightening.

Anyway, after a long while 'away' owning other bikes, I've (literally) just bought a TDM 900; via Carpe TDM too - so thanks for that wink.gif

The reason for posting is that also have a new Triumph Tiger 1050 and I thought that some might find it interesting to hear my experiences of the two by way of comparison.

I bought the Tiger new, back in April earlier this year. Since then, I've covered 4500 miles, using it as my commuter bike to get from home to the West End of London every day. It's about a 100 mile round trip and covers A/B roads, motorways and a LOT of traffic.

So, first the Tiger.

The Tiger 1050 is quite different from earlier iterations of the model, as Triumph finally (wisely IMHO) realised that no-one, well - perhaps save for a few die-hards, uses the Tiger off-road. So they made a bike with trailie styling, but with the road manners of a sports bike - well, tourer at least.

Handling wise, the Tiger is VERY flickable. I had an R1 before it and I swear that the 1050 turns quicker. It carries its weight quite high (this isn't always good - read on) and has a fair degree of rake - so it's very direct in the twisties.

The engine is a peach. The 1050 have a shed load of torque meaning you can pretty much leave it in 5th/6th and just wind on and off the throttle - very good. That said, the EFI can be snatchy at low revs, meaning low speed riding / filtering etc. can be less smooth than you'd like, especially as when the power comes in, it's pretty meaty. The triple sounds fantastic too. I stuck with the stock pipe/can, but even then it has a lovely off-beat burble (that is a signature of the triple) and even pops a bit on the overrun smile.gif Good for waking up car drivers as they're on the phone ranting.gif

The high C of G also means that it's not always as stable as you'd like - especially in those v.tight filtering spots. But on the whole, it's a decent bike for pretty much all manner of riding.

Cruising / motorway use is pretty good. The biggest issue most owners have had (including me) is the inordinate amount of wind buffetting you get. I swapped my screen for a lower one (I tried the Triumph touring screen on the dealer demo bike and that was even worse than the stock jobbie) which means you take the wind on the chest, but it was infinitely better than the original.

Tank range is about 200 (probably about 210) miles depending on how you ride. That was with a mixture of allsorts, as per my commute. I know recent press has reported excessive oil use, but in my time with the bike it's not used a drop!

The seat is comfy, but the angle of the seat / tail (as evident by any pic you see of it) tends to slide you forward to the tank. This makes it feel more sporty, but can (literally) be a bit of a pain in the knackers) 'Bum' time - for me at least - is about an hour and a half before it goes numb and becomes really uncomfortable.

The instruments are close to the headstock, easy to read and well lit. The angle (for me) is a pain as it tended to reflect the sun straight into my face, but that depends more on the rider height than anything. The LCD display can show a number of different screens of info including average mpg, Vmax, tank range etc.etc. Only gripe is that you have to cycle between them (so you can't have clock and tank range at the same time etc.)

Build quality is very good. Only gripe was that a belly pan fastener worked itself loose and fell off.

So all in all, a great bike. More sports than touring I'd say - but it really is a great all rounder.

So, for the TDM.

I won't bother with looks/build quality etc. as you all know about those.

Comparing the ride though and the TDM is really quite a different proposition.

The first thing that struck me is how long the bike seems? This is actually an illusion caused by the instrument cluster/screen being set so far forward of the headstock. That said, the TDM steers alot slower than the Tiger. I imagine (though I may be wrong) that the headstock angle is a bit more sedate. It definitely steers slower - but that actually makes it far more comfortable as a tourer as you don't feel that you're correcting it all the time.

The other benefit of the 'long nose' is the reduction in wind noise / buffetting and therefore the protection afforded by the fairing and screen. I imagine that the bods at Yamaha have spent more time in the wind tunnel than the boys from Hinckley - and it shows. My bike has the touring screen and, whilst I haven't tried the stocker, it works very well. Normal riding is very comfortable and dipping your head into the 'bubble' behind the screen gives an almost silent ride - even at errr... higher motorway speeds. Spooky!

The bike seems narrower too - a benefit of the parallel twin. The Triumph Triple splays the frame a fair bit and you do end up feeling like you're in birthing stirrups riding it (don't ask me how I know this wink.gif ). The bars also seem narrower, making filtering in town an easier prospect than on the Tiger.

The parallel twin was a trip down memory lane for me smile.gif but a good one. The EFI in the TDM is far smoother than the Tiger. Some may say sedate by comparison. I'm not sure offhand what the power figures are, but the TDM feels far less potent by comnparison. However, this is deceptive, as a check of the speedo shows that you're actually doing a respectable speed.

The power delivery makes it easier to ride in town and having done a while variety of roads already (about 250 miles since i picked it up smile.gif ) it's a great all rounder. It's definitely more comfortable for longer journeys than the Triumph. I did 190 miles after collecting it in one run - no stops. My bum even still felt as if it was attached to me afterwards yahoo.gif The twin 'vibes' gave me a bit of a tingle in the feet (but very little), but my hands were fine - that's very impressive as I remember my TDM850 giving me hand tingle after about 50 miles!

The exhausts are amazing..... amazingly QUIET that is! I can't believe how well silenced they are. I had a pair of Laser race cans on my old TDM850 and they were like a pair of Howitzers! Whilst I'm a bit older and wiser and perhaps a bit more considerate of my neighbours, the bike does seem to be crying out for some louder cans. For me, it's a safety issue. I pass about - I dunno, say 500 cars on the way to work and most of them (as you all know) are almost oblivious to bikes until you're right by them. Loud cans might not literally save lives, but they do wake dozy muppets up! It's money I don't want to spend though at the mo. so I'll stick with the stockers for now. They do make the bike very wide at the rear though, so maybe a single pipe conversion is in order? We'll see wink.gif

Anyway, onto economy. Tank range is similarly impressive. I filled up and then did 190 miles and still had two bars showing when I got home! This morning, this had dropped to one bar (predictably), so I filled up again to check how it fares in my 'normal' usage. A very encouraging start though as I can't stand stopping for fuel! biggrin.gif

So in summary, I'd say that the Tiger was a better sports/weekend bike, or for those that have shorter journeys or enjoy a good hoon. I'd say that the TDM would struggle against it on track (but let's face it - we don't really buy them as track bikes!) but not by much. Ground clearance would work against it, whereas lower CofG would work in its favour.

The TDM is a more tourer than sports - and a great bike for it. It can hold its own in the twisties and for a long trip I'd be taking the TDM keys every time.

It's a moot point anyway as the Tiger is up for sale!

Very pleased to be back in the TDM posse yahoo.gif

#2 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 05 October 2007 - 11:00 am

wow i really like the look of those Tigers, but i too read about the oil consumption woes in the m/cycling press. I think a Bike magazine journo seized the enjun on his long term test bike as it ran low on oil and as an TDM 850 owner i know all about it !!! apparently Triumph are sorting out the oil consumption issues on the 675 too at the moment. so the 900 is a brilliant bike like i always thought. cheers Stiggy.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#3 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 05 October 2007 - 11:00 am

You ever taken a pillion on your Tiger? Had a good look round bikemadray 1050 on the CMC run the other week and it's a lovely looking bike, but as you say the back end is very high, and the reviews seem to suggest it's not that great for a pillion.

Fancy a go on a 1050 Sprint ST as everyone reckons that 1050 engine is lovely.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#4 Stuart-900

Stuart-900

Carpe fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 190 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 11:05 am

Hi Stiggy,

Interesting stuff, thanks for taking the time to post it. For someone who's trying hard to stay well clear of Triumph dealers so as not to get too tempted, I'm now even more inclined to get a test ride!

Along the same lines: where have you advertised your Tiger? cool.gif
In the world of I.T. anything is possible (but only according to those that don't understand the problem)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2007 900 with Scottoiler, Starcom communications system, Givi engine bars, Stebel Magnum horn, ATC-2k digital video camera, Fender Extender, Vario winglet, seat, wheels, noisy engine type thing...
VFR 800 VTEC with Starcom communications system, ATC-2k digital video camera, seat, wheels, slightly different noisy engine type thing...

http://www.theultimatehigh.co.uk/

#5 Stiggy

Stiggy

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 11:11 am

QUOTE(Stuart-900 @ Fri 5th Oct 2007, 11:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Stiggy,

Interesting stuff, thanks for taking the time to post it. For someone who's trying hard to stay well clear of Triumph dealers so as not to get too tempted, I'm now even more inclined to get a test ride!

Along the same lines: where have you advertised your Tiger? cool.gif

It's a stonking bike, but as I said, I was too worried about it getting damaged in London sad.gif

Here's the ad: http://www.pistonhea...ales/245732.htm

Re. Pillion on the Tiger - not tried it, but the high rear end can't make it great. That said, I've seen reviews and they rated the pillion ride pretty well?

#6 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 11:38 am

Er... having just noticed your name and location on the pistonheads advert, you're not a former S2000 owning jitsu instructor are you?

2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

#7 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 05 October 2007 - 11:49 am

excellent! another Reading rider
we are having a breaky run up to Foxes diner on saturday, fancy joining us?

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#8 E-njoy

E-njoy

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 05 October 2007 - 11:52 am

Thanx for that comparison, Stiggy. The new Tiger was the only bike on the possible follow up list, even though I love the twin a lot better than I did the triple in the mountains (had a Sprint 955i, which BTW had amazing fuel consumption like the TDM900).

The pillionseat on the new Tiger was better rated by my girfriend than the TDM's seat. Even the Sprint was better. But this had nothing to do with height, more with the fact that the footrests on the Yammie are placed too much forward for the pillion, making her slouch, creating backpain. It's okay in combination with the Givi topbox though, so she can rest her back. The FJR has the same problem I believe. On the Tiger the pegs are located more below the seat, creating an ergonomically better seating position.

I did make a very short ride on a Tiger 1050 once, when a friend was testriding it (he went for an R1200GS Adventure in the end). It did feel flickable indeed, I can imagine that's not too relaxing on long runs. The TDM takes slightly more countersteer force to get into a turn, but is stable enough once in there.

Do try to pick your tires carefully when they need changing next time. The Continental Road Attacks and new Michel Pilot Road2 2CT tires are both tires that make a bike more flickable, which works great on the TDM (and a lot less great on a Tiger I guess). And welcome back cool.gif ,
Emile
www.piloot.com
'80 Honda CB400T Hawk, '92 Yamaha XJ600S Diversion, '90 Honda PC800 Pacific Coast, '92 Honda ST1100ABSTCS Pan European, '00 BMW R1150GS ABS, '04 Yamaha XP500i T-max, '01 Triumph Sprint ST 955i, '06 Yamaha TDM900A GT, '02 Honda ST1300A Pan European

#9 Stiggy

Stiggy

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 11:55 am

QUOTE(ChrisG @ Fri 5th Oct 2007, 12:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Er... having just noticed your name and location on the pistonheads advert, you're not a former S2000 owning jitsu instructor are you?

lol - no, but I don't take any sh*t if that's what you;re thinking rotflmmfao.gif

wink.gif

#10 jht

jht

has been here 4ever

• 1,769 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 05 October 2007 - 11:57 am

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Fri 5th Oct 2007, 12:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
excellent! another Reading rider
we are having a breaky run up to Foxes diner on saturday, fancy joining us? Would love to...... unsure.gif

Done: Homo sap navigation/ twisty thing on bars to make it go vroom/ grabby thing to make it stop (in front of twisty thing)/ 'leccy things front and rear to make it glow at night/ Sucky + drippy oiler thing to keep chains moist (!!) / Laser Pro Stock Race pipes / bleeding ear drums (see previous mod)
To do: Educate homo sap nav system to operate twisty + grabby things/ get ear plugs

All Trashed Now... Pants... its a Cat B Mwahahaha it lives again!!

Remember every driver is a deaf myoptic twat who is out to kill you, ALWAYS assume they are going to do THE most f*cking DUMBASS, STUPID manouver possible, at the worst possible moment; get past, and get past quick

#11 Stiggy

Stiggy

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 12:03 pm

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Fri 5th Oct 2007, 12:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
excellent! another Reading riderwe are having a breaky run up to Foxes diner on saturday, fancy joining us?
No can do I'm afraid fella. Some other time though!

QUOTE(E-njoy @ Fri 5th Oct 2007, 12:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanx for that comparison, Stiggy. The new Tiger was the only bike on the possible follow up list, even though I love the twin a lot better than I did the triple in the mountains (had a Sprint 955i, which BTW had amazing fuel consumption like the TDM900). The pillionseat on the new Tiger was better rated by my girfriend than the TDM's seat. Even the Sprint was better. But this had nothing to do with height, more with the fact that the footrests on the Yammie are placed too much forward for the pillion, making her slouch, creating backpain. It's okay in combination with the Givi topbox though, so she can rest her back. The FJR has the same problem I believe. On the Tiger the pegs are located more below the seat, creating an ergonomically better seating position.I did make a very short ride on a Tiger 1050 once, when a friend was testriding it (he went for an R1200GS Adventure in the end). It did feel flickable indeed, I can imagine that's not too relaxing on long runs. The TDM takes slightly more countersteer force to get into a turn, but is stable enough once in there.Do try to pick your tires carefully when they need changing next time. The Continental Road Attacks and new Michel Pilot Road2 2CT tires are both tires that make a bike more flickable, which works great on the TDM (and a lot less great on a Tiger I guess). And welcome back cool.gif ,
Thanks chap - especially re. tyres. I've got Metzelers on the bike at the mo (IIRC). Too cold to really get a feel for them smile.gif Always used Bridgestones before that (regarless of bikes) - but always open to advice / suggestions!Given the miles I cover, I'd probably favour durability over outright grip - not that I want bakelites on it of course!!!

Edited by Stiggy, 05 October 2007 - 12:04 pm.

#12 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 12:14 pm

Rooad pilot 2's are bloody fantastic, especially in the wet. Not had them on long enough to know how well they wear though but they're supposed to be fairly long lived.

I used to train with a bloke of the same name living in the same area. Weird.

Edited by ChrisG, 05 October 2007 - 12:15 pm.

#13 ynot tony

ynot tony

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 145 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 05 October 2007 - 12:40 pm

QUOTE(ChrisG @ Fri 5th Oct 2007, 12:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Rooad pilot 2's are bloody fantastic, especially in the wet. Not had them on long enough to know how well they wear though but they're supposed to be fairly long lived.
I used to train with a bloke of the same name living in the same area. Weird.
got over 5000 on my last set of pilot 2s do the job very well good.gif

#14 Stuart-900

Stuart-900

Carpe fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 190 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 12:49 pm

QUOTE(Stiggy @ Fri 5th Oct 2007, 12:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
lol - no, but I don't take any sh*t if that's what you;re thinking rotflmmfao.gif

wink.gif

rotflmmfao.gif
Someone's going to fit in just fine around here! good.gif
In the world of I.T. anything is possible (but only according to those that don't understand the problem)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2007 900 with Scottoiler, Starcom communications system, Givi engine bars, Stebel Magnum horn, ATC-2k digital video camera, Fender Extender, Vario winglet, seat, wheels, noisy engine type thing...
VFR 800 VTEC with Starcom communications system, ATC-2k digital video camera, seat, wheels, slightly different noisy engine type thing...

http://www.theultimatehigh.co.uk/

#15 Baron

Baron

has been here 4ever

• 1,076 posts
  • Location:Drum Castle (well, next door), Kincardineshire.....well, I am a Baron!
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 05 October 2007 - 05:45 pm

QUOTE(ynot tony @ Fri 5th Oct 2007, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
got over 5000 on my last set of pilot 2s do the job very well good.gif

Pilot Road 2's are ace. Buy some, you won't regret it banana.gif
Gone but not forgotten: 2007 TDM900ABS Competition White, datatagged, fenda extenda, tomtom rider 1, Yamaha main stand, Yamaha heated grips, HID headlights, Yamaha top box & city side cases, MRA Vario screen, CLS200 automatic chain oiler, Yamaha belly pan, DL650 handguards, Gi-Pro X gear indicator, SW-Motech Mirror Extensions, LED side light, Stebel Nautilus AIR HORN!!!!!

(1974....KTM Comet Cross, RD250B, XS750, Wife & kids, DT175, Suzuki GT500, XT500, XT500 (modified), ZX-10 (the 1st one!), Yamaha TT600R, Suzuki GT750B, GT750K, '04 TDM900, GSX1100F, '07 TDM900A, '06 FJR1300A

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users