has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,769 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 31 October 2007 - 11:42 pm

anyone had any experience / problems?

Read from some old posts they kinda halfway between Hagon and Ohlins

Verdicts please!
Done: Homo sap navigation/ twisty thing on bars to make it go vroom/ grabby thing to make it stop (in front of twisty thing)/ 'leccy things front and rear to make it glow at night/ Sucky + drippy oiler thing to keep chains moist (!!) / Laser Pro Stock Race pipes / bleeding ear drums (see previous mod)
To do: Educate homo sap nav system to operate twisty + grabby things/ get ear plugs

All Trashed Now... Pants... its a Cat B Mwahahaha it lives again!!

Remember every driver is a deaf myoptic twat who is out to kill you, ALWAYS assume they are going to do THE most f*cking DUMBASS, STUPID manouver possible, at the worst possible moment; get past, and get past quick

#2 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 31 October 2007 - 11:55 pm

EMC were good around 10/15 years ago but they sold out and the quality dropped.

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#3 jht

jht

has been here 4ever

• 1,769 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 12:37 pm

Hmm, am weighing up rebuilding bike (with new frame i sourced) and making few mods at the same time.

Shock options were Nitron / EMC / Hagon all at under £300

Interestingly WP, Penske and Maxton were all MORE expensive than an Ohlins unit (£371.07 compared to £405- £530 for the others, all + VAT!!)

Well thats EMC out I guess, so leaves Nitron and Hagon....

or little extra fer an Ohlins (no no no must resist)

Planned to fit Racetech Springs and Emulators (or Gold valves if I fit MkI Cartridge forks) at the pointy end

Done: Homo sap navigation/ twisty thing on bars to make it go vroom/ grabby thing to make it stop (in front of twisty thing)/ 'leccy things front and rear to make it glow at night/ Sucky + drippy oiler thing to keep chains moist (!!) / Laser Pro Stock Race pipes / bleeding ear drums (see previous mod)
To do: Educate homo sap nav system to operate twisty + grabby things/ get ear plugs

Remember every driver is a deaf myoptic twat who is out to kill you, ALWAYS assume they are going to do THE most f*cking DUMBASS, STUPID manouver possible, at the worst possible moment; get past, and get past quick

#4 Stink-Foot

Stink-Foot

Carpe fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 152 posts
  • TDM model: 1995

Posted 01 November 2007 - 03:11 pm

QUOTE(jht @ Thu 1st Nov 2007, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Shock options were Nitron / EMC / Hagon all at under £300

Don't forget Wilbers shocks. Basic models are under £300 I believe, and I can warmly recommend one. They're built according to rider weight and riding style. Available from KEDO or directly from Wilbers.
Beat Your dick like it owes You money.

#5 jht

jht

has been here 4ever

• 1,769 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 04:16 pm

Ahh, they be interesting!!
Ta fer that

#6 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 10:33 pm

One thing you should be aware of with a Hagon shock fer an 850

They come 10mm longer than the OE shock, in order to improve the ride Hagon have told me
(as there is no linkage a la 900)

This DOES affect the seat height AND the angle of lean on the sidestand !
It's only really a problem if :

1. You are vertically challenged (like me)

2. The bike is a bit top heavy, as in fully laden, with tankbag, panniers, topbox, etc. & you put it on the sidestand at the roadside, as it can get precarious.

Hagon will make it shorter if it is a problem to you, & to be fair, they offered to do mine FOC when I pointed it out to them, but do state that performance will be compromised the shorter they make the stroke

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#7 jht

jht

has been here 4ever

• 1,769 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 11:09 pm

Oh yeah remember that being mentioned now somewhere

Well that Hagon out, just cause as far as I'm aware not one other shock manufacturer has had to 'add' 10mm to length to 'improve' the ride, so that a little suspect in my book and I'd queries Hagon on that one

Edited by jht, 01 November 2007 - 11:10 pm.

#8 Guest_Emmett_*

Guest_Emmett_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2007 - 02:04 am

I had a hagon on my last 850 and I never noticed the extra 10mm till I sold it to JohnnyW and he pointed it out, but I thought it was an excellent shock, and certainly, bang for buck, better value than the Ohlins I have now.

#9 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 02 November 2007 - 11:50 am

10mm is a LOT when you equate that to wheel travel huh.gif The TDM has the lower shock mounted closer to the swingarm pivot than most bikes I know. Poor ol' Johnny W had to look out a set of his 70s platform boots to ride his bike safely cool.gif

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#10 Guest_GuyGraham_*

Guest_GuyGraham_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2007 - 12:37 pm

QUOTE(dandywarhol @ Fri 2nd Nov 2007, 11:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
10mm is a LOT when you equate that to wheel travel huh.gif The TDM has the lower shock mounted closer to the swingarm pivot than most bikes I know. Poor ol' Johnny W had to look out a set of his 70s platform boots to ride his bike safely cool.gif

The TDM has quite servere ratio of 3:1 due to its linkless desgin
a 10mm longer shock equates to 30mm extra ride height

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users