405 replies to this topic

#21 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 09 October 2018 - 07:19 am

yeah I seen the advert on ebay. lucky man.

If you decide you dont want it anymore I will take it off your hands :lol:

Edited by Coxylaad, 09 October 2018 - 07:20 am.

#22 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 09:34 pm

Ok so I had an hour today so started the strip down of the bike.

fairings come off fairly easily 
45455270441_36782f88df.jpg

headlight removed
30514834267_769eb41411.jpg

I wasn't sure what I am going to do for a headlight so just for the crack I fitted up the custom headlight I made for my trx when it was a road bike. Didnt look to bad. 
31580052398_9e628b0259.jpg

I might stack them one above the other if I have the space.  The current plan is I am going to build myself a new fairing. 

Also I was looking at fitting the larger throttle bodies.  Up from 38mm to 42mm.
31580045508_f8da5e7fc9.jpg

Like fitting a set of FCR's to the bike but with fuel injection.  based on what FCR's do to a TRX I am fairly certain this will increase the performance of the engine right through the rev range, but I am starting to think maybe I should just do this later. Get everything setup with the ignijet ecu and it can be next years project. 
It may well release more power, and that would be nice but to be honest I don't really need any more power out of it. I've never found the bike lacking at all.  I may change my mind but I think for now I am going to concentrate of building a new front end for the bike, and give the engine a good going over so its in tip top condition - compression test, valve clearances etc. 

#23 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 21 October 2018 - 08:34 am

Ok so I had an hour today so started the strip down of the bike.

fairings come off fairly easily 
45455270441_36782f88df.jpg

headlight removed
30514834267_769eb41411.jpg

I wasn't sure what I am going to do for a headlight so just for the crack I fitted up the custom headlight I made for my trx when it was a road bike. Didnt look to bad. 
31580052398_9e628b0259.jpg

I might stack them one above the other if I have the space.  The current plan is I am going to build myself a new fairing. 

Also I was looking at fitting the larger throttle bodies.  Up from 38mm to 42mm.
31580045508_f8da5e7fc9.jpg

Like fitting a set of FCR's to the bike but with fuel injection.  based on what FCR's do to a TRX I am fairly certain this will increase the performance of the engine right through the rev range, but I am starting to think maybe I should just do this later. Get everything setup with the ignijet ecu and it can be next years project. 
It may well release more power, and that would be nice but to be honest I don't really need any more power out of it. I've never found the bike lacking at all.  I may change my mind but I think for now I am going to concentrate of building a new front end for the bike, and give the engine a good going over so its in tip top condition - compression test, valve clearances etc. 

I'm no expert, but induction systems can only flow at a peak rate which is governed by the smallest orifice. Is the main restriction the throttle body or is it further down the intake tract, in which case some time spent  with a dremel opening out the ports could be more beneficial.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#24 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 11:13 am

Yes you are correct, the head is already ported, but will need matching to the Tbs to get the best benefit. I think it's going to be a job for next year. This year is ignijet install

#25 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:11 am

Yes you are correct, the head is already ported, but will need matching to the Tbs to get the best benefit. I think it's going to be a job for next year. This year is ignijet install

I bet that will be rewarding once you're done

#26 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 01:32 pm

Ignijet is a no brainer really. I liked your flashed ecu but thats 300 quid, and i have to buy a suitable ecu to get it done, and then he said I would still need a power commander to adapt the map to my modified engine.

#27 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 22 October 2018 - 03:17 pm

yeah I seen the advert on ebay. lucky man.

If you decide you dont want it anymore I will take it off your hands :lol:

sorry, was a great price as I made an offer and he took it.

very little info out there, is there a forum for these ecu's or just connect up and take it from there?

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#28 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:32 pm

Ignijet is a no brainer really. I liked your flashed ecu but thats 300 quid, and i have to buy a suitable ecu to get it done, and then he said I would still need a power commander to adapt the map to my modified engine.

After running the KTM620, it's pretty clear the TDM900 has much more to give. The KTM pulls hard in all gears but tops out at 95mph. I suppose the TDM gearing could be changed via sprockets and bring the top speed down in order to gain acceleration, although the cam profiles are probably different.

The only way to do it right is with a programmable ECU, I'm tempted to play with the Microsquirt as you can get them for under £375 and there's fantastic support, but then I'm pretty happy with what I have, and don't want the expense of a cam change

#29 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 07:49 am

I looked at microsquirt, but its a lot less plug and play than the ignijet, despite there not being a huge community out there for it. 

#30 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 10:56 am

do you have any decent links for the microsquirt? at 360 quid its half the price of the ignijet, and has loads of features. 

The advantage of the ignijet is that it comes with a plug and play loom, and a drop down box where you select tdm900 and it loads all the correct settings and and a base map to start with. 

If I could find a step by step guide to work through I would seriously consider the microsquirt option. 

#31 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 01:24 pm

doing some brief research (and effectively talking to myself  :lol: ) get a look at this:

ew3_hires.gif

All seems pretty straight forward for the microsquirt setup, but I cant see any crank position or cam position sensors in there?

#32 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 05:46 pm

doing some brief research (and effectively talking to myself  :lol: ) get a look at this:

ew3_hires.gif

All seems pretty straight forward for the microsquirt setup, but I cant see any crank position or cam position sensors in there?

I spoke to them about it, they have premade maps, and you can program it for twin cylinder with 270 degree firing delay, using the single cam position sensor and the crank pulses (12, I think, on the 900) 

If you drop them a line they'll be able to help.

Here's their support forum http://www.msextra.c...=94&t=61822&e=0

I spoke to them about it, they have premade maps, and you can program it for twin cylinder with 270 degree firing delay, using the single cam position sensor and the crank pulses (12, I think, on the 900) 

If you drop them a line they'll be able to help.

Here's their support forum http://www.msextra.c...=94&t=61822&e=0

Woops, I may be wrong, I just searched my emails abd found this reply from a Megasquirt seller. i seem to remember i had found someone else who was able to tune it for a v-twin (270 degree), but this ebay seller replied thus....

"

New message from: megasquirt_performance (160iconTealStar_25x25.gif)

Thank you, very good explanation. The problem is the ecu does not have a seting for that and it will fire every 360 degrees."

But i think it applied to their early Megasquirt .> https://www.ebay.co....CU/253936699725

Best bet would be to try the forums, because i think that's where I got confirmation for the use of a Microsquirt with recent firmware to run 270 degrees firing

Here's a new one on me, the 'Speeduino', Arduino based unit, for £145... must be a lot of support on Arduino forums as usual... https://www.ebay.co....5.c100009.m1982

Edited by fixitsan, 23 October 2018 - 05:54 pm.

#33 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 10:19 pm

I feel this is going to be a very good thread - it might beat the 38 pages of your MT09 TRX did on the TRX forum  :badgerrock:

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#34 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 08:20 am

speeduino looks interesting, I will do a bit digging, but I am not wholly sure I want to go down such a diy route. I can imagine it being a potential complete nightmare. 

#35 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 10:41 am

speeduino looks interesting, I will do a bit digging, but I am not wholly sure I want to go down such a diy route. I can imagine it being a potential complete nightmare. 

I think you will have to do a bit more, like tell the arduino which type of sensor is connected to which input, and what values represent the normal operating range (this is where the ignijet does it for you by having those definitions to hand already in drop down menus).

As far as coding skill it isn't a difficult environment if you do need to get involved in depth, but these sorts of projects are often created to give the widest appeal, to all skill levels, so it is likely there will be some batch scripts available to do the low level stuff already.

I haven't looked at it at all, so can only talk of past experience :)

#36 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 11:09 am

My concern about the microsquirt/speeduino route is I have yet to see a write up of a bike where the job is complete and it is running fine. 

With the ignijet, even though its presence is tiny compared to megasquirt, I can find examples of various different bikes running it and reporting great results. 

Its a fortune compared to the other options, but maybe its worth it?

another option is this:

https://www.ebay.co....bffffd190|iid:1

see if I can get a powercommander 5 to work with the tdm900 

Edited by Coxylaad, 24 October 2018 - 11:10 am.

#37 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 04:29 pm

My concern about the microsquirt/speeduino route is I have yet to see a write up of a bike where the job is complete and it is running fine. 

With the ignijet, even though its presence is tiny compared to megasquirt, I can find examples of various different bikes running it and reporting great results. 

Its a fortune compared to the other options, but maybe its worth it?

another option is this:

https://www.ebay.co....bffffd190|iid:1

see if I can get a powercommander 5 to work with the tdm900 

I know what you mean, lots of internet dredging. i've just seen a 'Fuelino' for small single cylinder bikes. I'll remember that whgen i need it !

There's a Speeduino working on a v-twin (vt250) here, but you would need to talk with the owner I guess.

#38 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 06:24 pm

Currently £28....  https://www.ebay.co....cu/332845654415

#39 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 07:24 am

hmmm. I have to say I think that is just going to be an enormous headache! 

In other news here's my first draft of the new fairing:

45540949521_e4330e79b6.jpg

#40 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 07:28 am

hmmm. I have to say I think that is just going to be an enormous headache! 

In other news here's my first draft of the new fairing:

45540949521_e4330e79b6.jpg

Looks a bit plain ?

Yes the ecu stuff is definitely a labour of love at that low level. It's asier to follow someone else who has done it first for your make and model thats fer sure !

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users