Favs

Sir Cumference

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 20 January 2019 - 02:22 pm

Heidi high?

Over the last few years I've noticed more bikers/motorcyclists/riders relying on potted noodles and such for meals when camping. While these foods can be a boon to convenience, sometimes they just won't cut it.

Here's an evening menu I prepared earlier for longer than overnight trips. The recipes are intended as a basic outline and need to be modified to your needs/tastes. If you have some single pot meal ideas why not post them up?

7 simple one-person, one-pot, one burner meals that are better than boring noodles

Shopping list

1 small round can of corned beef

2 small cans of tomatoes chopped or whole

1 small can of baked beans

** 1 pack streaky bacon

** Sausages

**Steak or pork loin chop

**Bread buns/rolls/baps whatever you call them

*1 small can of pork

*1 small can of chicken

1 tube of tomato puree

70-80 grams of pasta

***1 flask cup of long grain rice

Small amount of oil to fry

Dried onion

Chilli powder

1 small packet of dried mixed vegetables about 50-60p (ASDA)

1 potato size medium

Gravy granules

3 eggs

1 beer or cider

***refer to cooking gear

** Buy fresh on the day

*Substitute fresh bought on the day

Cooking equipment

Stove, ½ pint / 0.3l flask, NS frying pan, pan & lid, cup, knife, fork, spoon, can opener, pan gripper, egg box, 6 inch / 150mm chopping mat, press & seal food bags

Corned beef hash

Ingredients

Smash/instant mash

Small can of corned beef, (the little round can that should be married to a Princess)

Dried onion

Water

Boil water and hard boil an egg in it for tomorrow night

while heating the water, open & dice corned beef into smallish pieces

remove boiled egg

make tea with some of the water

add boiling water to Smash or, if you calculated the water properly, the other way round

add spices if you like

fork in corned beef

Bacon, beans & egg

Buy some streaky bacon and a couple of bread buns while you’re out riding (EU bacon is perfect for this meal).

Ingredients

Bacon

Baked beans

Boiled egg

Tomato puree

Cook all the bacon and make a bacon sandwich ready for breakfast or lunch

Drain off any excess fat

Heat beans & bacon in pan adding a little tomato puree (especially needed with EU baked beans)

serve over egg

Chilli tomatoes with pasta & chicken

Ingredients

pasta

chilli powder

tomato paste

dried onion

chicken in a small tin or fresh 1x chicken breast

small can tomatoes

Boil water & use some for a cuppa

add chopped (fresh) chicken to the water & boil until cooked

add pasta n boil until cooked

drain the water, add tomatoes, some tomato paste, dried onion, chilli powder.

Heat through & eat

Steak & ale/ or pork in cider with vegetables & rice

Additional equipment 300ml thermos

Ingredients

Steak/pork/meat of your choice

dried veg

white LG rice

Instant gravy

beer/cider/port whatever

Boil water AT BREAKFAST with an egg in it for tomorrow lunch

add ½- ¾ cup rice to flask

add ¼ cup dried veg to flask

add boiling water to fill level of flask and seal securely

use the rest for tea/oats/washing your stinking bits

In the evening….

Fry meat until cooked with a little oil if wanted

remove meat when cooked

add beer/cider/whatever n boil it up

add gravy to pan n mix

pour over meat

open flask

spoon out veg & rice onto plate (all water should be absorbed if you did it right, otherwise - drain)

Sausages & Smash

Buy some bangers while you’re out & bread buns

Ingredients

Sausages

Smash

Cook all the sausages & make a sandwich for breakfast/lunch tomorrow

boil water

add smash

add bangers n eat

**Canned Pork with veg & rice

Additional equipment 300ml thermos

Ingredients

Small canned pork

dried veg

white LG rice

gravy granules

small can of tomatoes

wine mmm wine whatever

At breakfast

boil water

add ½- ¾ cup rice to flask

add ¼ cup dried veg to flask

add boiling water to fill level of flask and seal securely

use the rest for tea/oats/washing your face

Fry pork with a little oil if wanted

remove meat when cooked

add tomatoes & wine/whatever n boil it up

pour over meat

open flask & spoon out veg n rice onto plate (all water should be absorbed if you did it right)

Tortilla

Ingredients

1 medium/small potato

1 egg

dried onion

Boil a little water and soak some dried onion until soft

Meanwhile, peel the potato and dice to 1cm cubes

Drain the onion

Fry the onion and potato until the potato is golden brown, meanwhile whisk egg with fork

add egg to pan and cook both sides i.e. turn over when one side is cooked & finish cooking.

Additional

If you have a need for a dessert………..

Pancakes

Using some ready-made dry pancake mix, 1 egg, squirty bottle of honey (also used to sweeten tea/coffee/oats etc.), and some fizzy water (much better batter boom).

Mix egg and pancake mix and fizzy water to a smooth batter and fry your pancake instead

If you don’t use or want honey, buy a bar of chocolate and scrape some onto the pancakes mmm

Edited by Favs, 21 January 2019 - 02:38 pm.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#2 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 03:31 pm

Looks a lot harder than putting water in a pot and waiting a few minutes.  :P

#3 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 20 January 2019 - 03:39 pm

Frying pan, and make a Tiroler grostl, onion and a few spuds along with cut up bacon and an egg on top, a bit of cumin/chilli if ya fancy, BUT if a pub happens to be near :D

Not a bad idea Al, especially if your back to the campsite handy.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#4 chrisbee

chrisbee

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 20 January 2019 - 05:22 pm

Corned Beef Hash;

tin of corned beef

tin of beens

tin of potatoes

1 fresh onion

mix together

serve with French loaf

serves 2/3

very, very easy, also very inexpensive.

Day 2- PUB

I/We tend to travel in a group, and all carry cooking kit,  so breakfast can be a full English, with each individual cooking 1 thing, and all comes together with teamwork.

one lad doesn't tour without his Wok.

I always take a mokka pot for perfect coffee.

#5 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 07:32 pm

Thanks for your additions lads.

I normally travel alone so - one pot, one stove, one person approach :good:

I'm all for the pub :drinks: / cafe :cake eating: / restaurant too.

Edited by Favs, 20 January 2019 - 07:34 pm.

#6 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 20 January 2019 - 08:40 pm

Some handy menus there Al. 

Nothing worse than tucking into yer pot noodle at the same time some smartyarse is cooking a full english right next to yer tent. :lol:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#7 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 21 January 2019 - 10:45 am

I'm not a big fan of sausages when camping, fine if you have a BBQ but just take way too long to fry on a camping stove.

An essential for me is Chorizo.  Chop a bit up and fry it for a minute or two and it give up a fair bit of oil, great for frying anything else and means I don't need to carry oil or margarine.

Standard camping breakfast for me:  Fry some chorizo to get the oil out, crack your egg straight on top, bung the whole lot in a fresh bread roll.  Alternatively once you have the oil out of the chorizo, whip the chorizo out to stop it burning and fry some mushrooms in the oil, then do the egg as before. 

I also tend to carry packets of couscous, they pack easily and keep forever.  Fry some mushrooms and peppers in the chorizo oil, and then bung in the couscous and boiling water.

I have a small chopping board and sheathed kitchen knife that live with my camping gear.  Also a stovetop espresso pot and ground coffee.  A fortnight on instant coffee is not my idea of a holiday, and decent coffee is nice black so no need to carry milk.

My other tip would be never pack with your top box more than half full.  You should always have space for a baguette and a bottle of wine.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#8 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• 1,444 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 21 January 2019 - 12:11 pm

My other tip would be never pack with your top box more than half full.  You should always have space for a baguette and a bottle of wine.

Now that's a tip to be considered, Chris.

2004 900 - Blue with lots of goodies

2012 900 - Still adding shiny bits. Was black, changed to white and now back to black again.

#9 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 03:33 pm

Hi ChrisG 

Yep sausages take a long time, but they are so yummy hot or cold.

Agree chorizo is a good ingredient for many recipes & it keeps a while without refrigeration :good:

+1 for proper coffee just black - nowadays I use a fine nylon tea strainer for a filter, rather than use a coffee percolator.

I leave the topbox MT enough to take my helmet = room for consumables when shopping at the last stop before pitching.

Hi Cliff

Tiroler grostl  :good: 

Hi Chrisbee

Are you heating your hash? er um I just re-read that. I mean are you heating the potatoes/onion etc.?

Thanks for the contributions & keep them coming please. :) 

#10 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 04:14 pm

Another idea, when your cooking at home, ie pasta sauce or the like cook enough extra to pack into small/medium zip lock type bag and freeze it/them, when camping you can then reheat them in a pan of boiling water, saves a lot of goofing about, much the same vein as reheating food from a can i spose.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#11 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 21 January 2019 - 04:28 pm

Mmm fud!

Noice ideas there favs. Loike a bit o pasta when I used to take the boike.

Later treader adventures would take me pan and burner but normally just put some cold nibbles in me pan earson passing a shop and then fall fast a snoo with it hanging oot me face 5 mins after stopping.

Need to step up me culinary levels to ewe boyses!
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#12 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 08:35 pm

What an excellent post/thread Favs! Timely for me as I'm planning a solo trip from Sarth of Spain to Cambridgeshire in the summer. To re-live my camping days I was planning on camping instead of paying 30euros for a comfy bed with brekkie thrown in.  I hope you don't mind me keeping a printed copy of your recipes and also the others on here.

Could we include recommendations/examples of cooking hardware for  such a trip in this thread?  I'm sure they've improved a lot since the last time I went camping!  Cheers!

Pedro

#13 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 21 January 2019 - 08:42 pm

Fine nylon tea strainer, good thinking Favs. :)

EDIT:  Seen wanna them turbo stoves in action, bloody fast they are.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#14 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 09:18 pm

Hi Pedro - meant for sharing :good: I'll dig out my cooking kit and post a photo.

Hi Ian - Rocket stoves are very hot!!!! 

I have a propane/butane stove where the gas supply pipe goes through the flame and it is V fast, I use my meths burner(s) on longer trips, cos a half litre of meths will do a lot of cooking and it is easy to get in most countries.

#15 richarda

richarda

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 213 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 21 January 2019 - 09:28 pm

3 easy meals to have in your luggage to fall back on if you cannot get fresh ingredients along the way:

Chile Con Carne:

1 tin of CCC mix

1 sachet of rice (1 person portion)

Tip both in cook pot, add a tablespoon or so of water and heat through. Ready in less than 5 mins.

Curry:

As above ,using any tinned curry mix (avoid anything labelled as just 'curry' - go for something like Korma, Madras, Jalfreizi etc) plus pilau rice

Sweet & Sour Chicken:

As above, using S&S tin plus sachet of egg fried rice or similar.

Just be aware that trying to replicate these using similar ingredients purchased abroad just doesn't work.  The French, Belgiums, Italians and maybe the Germans do have similar concoctions in tins but god knows what they put in them because they sure as hell do not taste anything like what we would expect.  Devils food. 

Edited by richarda, 21 January 2019 - 09:29 pm.

#16 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 09:53 pm

Cooking kit packed away and unpacked.

Attached File  P1020245.JPG   102.85KB   0 downloads

Attached File  P1020243.JPG   111.98KB   0 downloads

Attached File  P1020241.JPG   97.29KB   0 downloads

Note the NEW, 12cm diameter, non-stick frying pan (original handle removed & scrapped).

What else you can see - trangia meths burner, pan stand & cap.

Boot polish tin filled with lamp wick meths burner - the pan stand for this, (a bent 2.5mm welding rod), is being used for keeping my tea warm over a tea light.

Coleman Peak 1 person pan set in stainless steel.

KFS, can opener & small teaspoon (knife has been sharpened).

Salt & pepper in old earplug containers.

Pan grip.

Shallow stainless stove base (next to trangis screw cap)

Stainless pint pot with lid.

Lockable plastic container with wire wool soap pad.

Wind shield (made from a drinks can).

I have omitted the 300ml flask & 500ml meths bottle, but I guess you know what they look like.

HTH someone,

Favs

#17 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 10:04 pm

Neat setup.

I have a propane/butane stove where the gas supply pipe goes through the flame and it is V fast, I use my meths burner(s) on longer trips, cos a half litre of meths will do a lot of cooking and it is easy to get in most countries.

I use a petrol stove (msr whisperlite). Bulkier than a trangia type meths burner and a bit more hassle than a popane/butane burner but very fast and I keep a length windscreen washer pipe under the seat to siphon fuel from the bike so never need to worry about running out.

I've also used the syphon and fuel bottle to top up a mates bike when he ran out of fuel miles from a petrol station :D

Slightly off topic camping tip, if you use a satnav download Archies POIs to it. No need to book campsites, just ride until you fancy stopping and then find the next site in the right direction
http://www.archiescampings.eu

Edited by ChrisG, 21 January 2019 - 10:10 pm.

2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

#18 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 10:31 pm

Good reminder on Archies Chris.

Everyone to their own for stoves. I used a trangia petrol stove most of the late 70s and all of the 80s. Gas sstove for a weekend away. If I swap the trangia meths burner for a 250 gas can, it will fit in the same space with stove top too.

I like the no moving parts for meths stoves, but the speed of petrol and simplicity of gas are great too.

I have an invention to share.......more tomorrow.

#19 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 08:53 am

I just use Aircooled's Jet boil, anyway Favs seeing as your carrying that little lot no one need bring anything else matey :D

#20 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 12:48 pm

I just use Aircooled's Jet boil

I bought my Mrs one of those a few years back (a jetboil not a Dave to polish her bike :D), phenomenally fast and if you only want it for hot water light too.  Dunno how good they are with the additional pans though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users