#3841 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,792 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 29 January 2020 - 01:29 pm

Ordered an old 17" FZR600 front wheel for the MkI, quite cheap  :P ... soon to start prepping the old cow for first use in ~two years

Bjørge

#3842 Gdogg

Gdogg

has been here 4ever

• 1,163 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 29 January 2020 - 04:39 pm

Good job, it fit okay i guess but fook me the welder must have had parky's :lol:

Or it was an actual pidgin 'aving a s**t   :rotflmmfao:

<p> Now Sold 😔......850 MK2A 4TX6 in Silver, Stainless steel hand rolled slip on end can, stainless 2into1 headers, K&N air filter, Hagon progressive front springs, Gdogg modified rear shock, Else Made "Ridgeback" Gel Seat, Gdogg under seat fender extender, Powrspark leads, Carbon fiber effect vinyl wrap fairing decals & logos, Michelin Pilot Road2's, V-Strom hand guards, Givi monorack & box (colour matched side rails).

#3843 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,358 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 02 February 2020 - 10:38 am

Finally got round to taking the beast out for a run to try the 9er brakes, much better with the blue spots and much more feel to the lever than the rock hard standard setup, pads need to bed in as they are the ones that came with the system.

I did well as for £85 the whole system came still connected and bled with servicable pads in, I managed to pump out each piston and clean/red grease without any loss of fluid or air getting in and refitted still intact, the old system sits on my garage floor still bled, all I had to do was take the lever off to feed the MC through the fairing and remove a guide from under the top yoke so I could unwind it from the hose and wind back on the new one, I had to use a couple of P clips to secure to the forks as the 9er attaches differently.

I'll probably replace the hoses and pads now I know I like the difference but then again it'll probably stay as it is for ages cos I'm lazy.....

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#3844 KAL850

KAL850

arrived on last train

• 7 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 03 February 2020 - 07:19 pm

Booked in for fork seals. Bought fz master cylinder, led spots and hand guards. Now to spend another leg getting them done. Why do they never mark the wires??? Htf are you sposed to know which is what?
Oh the Joy's...

#3845 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 03 February 2020 - 10:58 pm

Booked in for fork seals. Bought fz master cylinder, led spots and hand guards. Now to spend another leg getting them done. Why do they never mark the wires??? Htf are you sposed to know which is what?
Oh the Joy's...

yule prolly need to replace the fork bushes too whilst yer in there as they can get lunched while separating the forks,  i would advise using genuine Yamaha fork seals. Is it worth trying a 'seal saver' before spending out on new seals?

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#3846 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,253 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 05 February 2020 - 07:02 pm

Took the Mk1 850 for it's MOT passed OK so now the winter weather will arrive. :( :rant:

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#3847 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,792 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 09:14 am

Received 17" FZR600 front wheel for the MkI, first operation is checking if it fits directly into the forks, with correct disk positions, etc. No tyre on it, so want to test it out with my wife's old 17" tyre when I get to renew that one....If it feels like an improvement, paint it and install a new tyre.

But first I need to get it running 100% (carbs/float adjustment)

Bjørge

#3848 madmopedracer

madmopedracer

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 11 February 2020 - 04:44 pm

is the fzr a mechanical speedo drive ?

#3849 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,792 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 07:33 am

is the fzr a mechanical speedo drive ?

Yup, seems so. May still use the old speedo drive (hopefully), but will prolly need to modify clock like this  :lol:

Bjørge

#3850 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,758 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 12 February 2020 - 08:55 pm

Yup, seems so. May still use the old speedo drive (hopefully), but will prolly need to modify clock like this  :lol:

I used. GPS clock from China. Works a Treat and only took a bit of fettling to make it fit

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#3851 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,792 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 05:16 am

Might be an idea 👍
Bjørge

#3852 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,744 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 18 February 2020 - 07:25 pm

Another no advisory MOT.
What was note worthy, was, there was a TDM 900 engine and gearbox strip down in progress, re a loud noise and drive failure apparently. Not a common fault as far as I know, and evenn the mech had the feeling he was chasing ghosts!! Anyone on here?? 2 wheeled workshop, Ellesmere Port.
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#3853 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,758 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 19 February 2020 - 09:29 am

Another no advisory MOT.
What was note worthy, was, there was a TDM 900 engine and gearbox strip down in progress, re a loud noise and drive failure apparently. Not a common fault as far as I know, and evenn the mech had the feeling he was chasing ghosts!! Anyone on here?? 2 wheeled workshop, Ellesmere Port.

mine just passed its mot too, no issues.

picking up the cyl head today from western rebores, had valves refaced and head skimmed £90 all in Simon also checked the valves and guides too

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#3854 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Location:West of France, south of the Loire...the good bit !
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 23 February 2020 - 11:31 pm

Bit of a frustrating weekend really.  Took panels and tank off my 1991 3VD to make a start on replacing the fuel lines with better quality items. I made a rather poor choice a couple of years ago when I replaced all the fuel lines and now I notice a bit of surface cracking. Not that bad yet, but I would really like to fit something that would last a bit longer than two years.

So while I was in that deep I got a bit paranoid about the carbs. I'd cleaned and re-jetted them two years ago and replaced the fuel pump last winter, but after fitting the fuel pump I got a overflow leak from the LH carb. For some reason the fuel level in both carbs was too high ?  Excessively so in the LH carb.  Reset them and bike has run well since then turning in good performance and acceptable fuel consumption.  

4.8-5.0 litres per 100km  (or just over 60mpg in old money)

Recently, though I thought I detected a bit of rough running at low revs just under 2000rpm. Nothing major and I thought maybe a throttle balance would help.

Not really !   I can get a decent idle and balance on my vacuum gauges but as soon as I raise the revs to 2000rpm and hold it there, the balance goes well off. The best compromise I can get is by opening up the idle mixture screw on the RH carb to 4 turns out and the LH one to 2 turns out and fiddling with the balance screw to get a slightly lumpy idle at 1100-1200 rpm and a reasonably smooth 2000rpm.

Before I did this I double checked the float levels with the calibrated tubes.  One float was slightly low but the other one was distinctly too low.  I ended up mounting the carbs on the bench and using a Vernier gauge to set the float heights and double checking them with a remote fuel supply while they were on the bench. So far so good.

But when I mounted them onto the bike to set the balance and idle speed I re-checked the fuel levels and f*ck me if they weren't out again !  Actually they were giving me the same readings I got originally, one slightly low and the other one far too low....bastards !

But it fired up and ran fairly well without popping back through either carb, just a poor balance...??

The bikes now got 61,000 km on the clock now, what do you think, invest in an ultrasonic cleaner and give the carbs a real clean out ?  The valve clearances were done 20,000 km ago and I'm happy enough with the coil and leads. Resistances are well within spec and there's no sign of arcing.

Maybe I should just turn it into a Show Pony and stop riding it...…. absolutely no chance !!

#3855 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,792 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 08:32 am

The bikes now got 61,000 km on the clock now, what do you think, invest in an ultrasonic cleaner and give the carbs a real clean out ?  The valve clearances were done 20,000 km ago and I'm happy enough with the coil and leads. Resistances are well within spec and there's no sign of arcing.

Maybe I should just turn it into a Show Pony and stop riding it...…. absolutely no chance !!

Could it be cracked diaphragms ?

....just saw your next post was about sourcing diaphragms.... :rolleyes:

Bjørge

#3856 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 24 February 2020 - 08:55 am

Curly,  i have a read of a few cases where TRX and TDM carbs have had dirt ingress due to the rubber hoses that have the fat black plastic inline 'filters' that comprise of a sponge damper and a steel mesh gauze,  the sponge material breaks down over the years and gets drawn into the carbs.  I seen a pic of the problem on the TRX Facebook  forum de udder day.  I wonder if this is causing grief?  Are the carb and airbox rubbers in good condition as they can go tits up over time?

Anyone any idea as to how the float levels can change to be too high after he has manually set them up?

Edited by wicklamulla, 24 February 2020 - 08:56 am.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#3857 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 10:31 am

....just saw your next post was about sourcing diaphragms.... :rolleyes:

Diaphragms are excellent.....examined them under a microscope...figuratively speaking !

#3858 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 10:37 am

Curly,  i have a read of a few cases where TRX and TDM carbs have had dirt ingress due to the rubber hoses that have the fat black plastic inline 'filters' that comprise of a sponge damper and a steel mesh gauze,  the sponge material breaks down over the years and gets drawn into the carbs.  I seen a pic of the problem on the TRX Facebook  forum de udder day.  I wonder if this is causing grief?  Are the carb and airbox rubbers in good condition as they can go tits up over time?

Anyone any idea as to how the float levels can change to be too high after he has manually set them up?

I've had a close look at the connecters to the airbox. Mine are basically shaped trumpets with nothing inside them. They are not in the best of nick, admittedly, a poor design I think.  I've trimmed them a bit so that I can give the clips more area to grip on, but I would really like to fit some sort of alternative.  I'm sure I saw someone on here using silicone ducting, but I'm damned if I can find it again ?

#3859 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,754 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 24 February 2020 - 11:49 am

Here you go Curly, i recently read of someone replacing right through the airbox in one piece.. i actually put Sikaflex on mine, belt and braces job.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#3860 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 11:35 pm

Here you go Curly, i recently read of someone replacing right through the airbox in one piece.. i actually put Sikaflex on mine, belt and braces job.

Spot on !  Just what I was looking for.  I've just ordered up a 76mm length from Aliexpress for a couple of euros. Might take weeks to get here, but....

"Replacing right through the airbox in one piece …"  ?   How does that work ?

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users