• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 oldman

oldman

seems to like Carpe

• 78 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 31 January 2020 - 02:30 pm

Hello all,I have a set of heated grips .I need to know how to wire them into a circuit controlled by the ignition.Can anyone tell me what to wire to?Would it be better to go to the battery using a relay?If so do you have any suggestions for the relay.

Many thanks.

#2 Norwegian

Norwegian

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 162 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 31 January 2020 - 03:06 pm

I used a simple relay with a 30A fuse fitted and routed the grip wires back to the battery. For switching via the ignition I found a three prong plug tucked away on the left side a few cm behind the battery. I belueve it was for a factory mounted alarm, which I don't have. Relay monted as close to the battery as possible, to avoid having any lenghts of unfused live wired hanging about.

2002 TDM 900 Red/Yellow Cocktail (it's yellow)., biggified some

#3 MickC

MickC

Carpe junky

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 04:25 pm

Depends on what make of grips you have,Oxford grips have a system that will detect if your battery is being charged if it is not it will turn the grips off,so if you forget and leave them on you will not get a flat battery because they will turn themselves off,they connect to the battery.

Other makes that will stay on if you forget to turn them off will give you a flat battery so they need to be wired to a source that is only live when the ignition is on,like the wire that comes from the ignition to power the bike up or your brake light live to the rear as that will be live with ignition on and off when ignition off i beleive.

#4 oldman

oldman

seems to like Carpe

• 78 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 04:58 pm

Thanks Gentlemen,I will go with norwegian suggestion of using a relay.

Many thanks,much appreciated.

#5 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 31 January 2020 - 05:04 pm

Word of warning on the Oxfords, the "intelligent" sensing device didn't work at all for me. First time parked up with them after a run, dead battery.

You can take the switch for a relay from your lights to switch a fused link to your battery. I use the rear lights for switching that and a couple of other things.

#6 Gdogg

Gdogg

has been here 4ever

• 1,160 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 31 January 2020 - 05:24 pm

I hard wired mine into the live feed for the rear brake light switch and the earth connection to the same frame bolt the battery earth goes on, that way ignition not switched on = no power to  the grips= no flat battery if left on, simples  :good:

<p> Now Sold 😔......850 MK2A 4TX6 in Silver, Stainless steel hand rolled slip on end can, stainless 2into1 headers, K&N air filter, Hagon progressive front springs, Gdogg modified rear shock, Else Made "Ridgeback" Gel Seat, Gdogg under seat fender extender, Powrspark leads, Carbon fiber effect vinyl wrap fairing decals & logos, Michelin Pilot Road2's, V-Strom hand guards, Givi monorack & box (colour matched side rails).

#7 Muppdog

Muppdog

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 292 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 31 January 2020 - 06:07 pm

I got Oxfords but run them over a relay. Just not prepared to take the risk.

#8 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 31 January 2020 - 06:50 pm

+1 for muppdog method..can't beat prunes on your allbran!!
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#9 Gdogg

Gdogg

has been here 4ever

• 1,160 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 12:42 pm

+1 for muppdog method..can't beat prunes on your allbran!!

Blueberries on porridge for me every time  :good:  

<p> Now Sold 😔......850 MK2A 4TX6 in Silver, Stainless steel hand rolled slip on end can, stainless 2into1 headers, K&N air filter, Hagon progressive front springs, Gdogg modified rear shock, Else Made "Ridgeback" Gel Seat, Gdogg under seat fender extender, Powrspark leads, Carbon fiber effect vinyl wrap fairing decals & logos, Michelin Pilot Road2's, V-Strom hand guards, Givi monorack & box (colour matched side rails).

#10 Murphy

Murphy

arrived on last train

• 6 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 05:15 pm

One of the wires to the horn is live, I do believe it is brown, or you can stick a test light on it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users