#1 tone

tone

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 179 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 20 May 2015 - 10:13 am

Morning All

Ive been looking at a solution to get voice commands from my iPhone GPS to my lugs while out on the bike but just looking for some general feedback / experience.

I always wear the Moldex type foam earplugs when i'm out biking on anything longer than a 30min journey. 

Does anyone run the in helmet type pad speakers in the ear recesses and earplugs. Even writing that down sounds daft but as ive no experience with comms on the bike ( other than lessons / test 19 years ago ) can you hear commands etc through normal ear-plugs?

I probably wont use it for phone calls or even music as I dont trust myself not to get distracted but there are several cheaper alternatives on e-bay that do all this + allow GPS for a complete solution for little cost - and they get good reviews. 

E.G http://www.ebay.co.u...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Or am I better off with a pair of simple Bluetooth Earplug type headphones only with/without ? Noise Cancelling etc ?

Im at a loss and really dont like riding without earplugs so need some advice.

Cheers already

Tone

#2 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,627 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 10:19 am

I have a similar intercom setup as the one you linked above, and use E.A.R FX Pro plugs (best SNR rating I've found so far), and I'm able to still hear the speakers.

Once you're at motorway speeds then it becomes a lot less audible, but certainly around town you'd be able to hear the voice instructions from the GPS.

Other on here have had this type of intercom, and upgraded the speakers.

The only thing I would suggest is that you make up some templates for the speakers (if you can get dimensions) to test fit for comfort.  It took me a long time to get the speakers positioned so that it was comfortable (this was in HJC IS16 & IS-MAX helmets.)

MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#3 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 20 May 2015 - 10:48 am

I use an Autocom and wear earplugs, no problem hearing it all. 

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#4 Muppdog

Muppdog

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:32 am

I got std sized Sena speakers and wear 'alpine' ear plugs. Plugs seam to reduce wind and road noise and don't effect spoken 'noise'. Works very well indeed. There are other plugs of similar designs in the shops now.

Rob

#5 JetC

JetC

seems to like Carpe

• 40 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 20 May 2015 - 03:17 pm

+1 on Alpine plugs, same experience.

#6 tone

tone

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 179 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 04:00 pm

Great Advice, thanks very much.

T

#7 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,747 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 20 May 2015 - 06:52 pm

Same hear Tone, using a Sena smh10 BT and foam earplugs, have tinnitus also, but hear GPS satnav just fine.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#8 jono49

jono49

has been here 4ever

• 1,183 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 21 May 2015 - 06:50 am

+1 Cliff :good: Sena smh10 is the dogs danglies and I use EAR yelow plugs to good effect..........And as for the speakers? their fantastic as I found out last week when I was having a phone conversation with a fellow member of CARPE (You know you are ya Twat) whilst I filled up my bike at a filling station one night, I had left the volume on full and went to pay at the kiosk, and I informed the fellow carpe member that I was entering the building to pay up!.... i.e. I would be maintaining radio silence :)  but the Bastid thought this was an opertunity for him to work his ticket, soooo as I got close to the counter I heard him utter "I bet it's a woman" followed by a pause then....................

" HAS SHE GOT BIG TIT'S"  Well if looks could kill :hide:  she eventually said "I think you should turn the volume down" I said "yes good idea" I nearly run out of the place before I pissed meself laughing :rotflmmfao:  when I got outside I told him what a Bastid he was, and gave him top marks for that one, and revenge will be sweet :good:  :P

Don't get confused between my personality
and my attitude. My personality is who I am,
my attitude depends on who YOU are!

Skinny people are easy to kidnap.....Stay safe and eat cake!!!!!

#9 tone

tone

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 179 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 07:07 am

Brilliant !

........ well did she ?

:P

Tone

#10 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,747 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 21 May 2015 - 07:35 am

:D any pics...........see ya should of bought the 10c jono  ;)

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users