11 replies to this topic

#1 marrk_us

marrk_us

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 150 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:46 pm

Went to go to work last night, fired up the bike and no headlights. No time to troubleshoot so I grabbed my manual from the garage and drove to work. Had a chance to read up a little, came home in the morning and did some quick checks before going to sleep.

Checked fuses - all ok  Flipped between high & low beam several times - nothing. Scratched head - nothing. Turn signals/markers worked fine. Another head scratch, grabbed handlebar switch (L/S) twisted it on bar - headlights came on, horn works. I had just put on new bars a couple weeks ago. So I guess tomorrow i'll take the switch off and check it out, seem to remember  someone on the site said that you can take it apart and get to the contacts to clean them and chase with dielectric grease once clean. Not chancing riding it tonight.

#2 Sidarta

Sidarta

just half a litre to go

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:45 pm

Hi marrk_us!

As you recently dismantled, some believe that wire should have walked away and the switch is not making contact with the other wire. Nothing a good cleaning and check of contacts resolved well. If not solve disassemble the switch and check the welds wires.

Recently I let the bike fall in the garage and I had to disassemble the headlight and front fairing, proceed to repair the fairings and front arrow on the right side.
Having put everything in place, the low beam not work. I lost a lot of time checking the whole system and then discovered that the lamp was burning. Maybe it was in the fall, or even handling the wiring. Although I have done everything with the key off. I installed a new super white bulb and now everything is ok.

Cheers!

Att
Sidarta 

TDM850 ano 2001
 Honda XLX 250 1988 
Honda Tornado 2005 - Honda CB400 1982 
Honda CB350 1972 e 1973

#3 marrk_us

marrk_us

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 12:31 am

Well, this is what I found when I pulled the switch apart. Nasty. I bought the bike as a flood victim but never thought about cleaning the inside of the switches.

switch_zpse33621a4.jpg

My new battery is supposed to be here Friday. Since i'll have the tank off replacing the battery I figure i'll spend some of my day off cleaning the switches and wiring harness connectors and giving them the dielectric grease treatment to hopefully ward off any future problems. Maybe even pull the headlight housings off and see if I can give the insides a good cleaning. I already upgraded the bulbs but a little cleaning can't hurt.

#4 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 10,754 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 02 October 2014 - 08:54 am

Hi mark, i know dialectic grease is up to the job, i use ACF50 bi-annually on mine, i dismantle every switch and spray away, also cover the whole bike with it during winter, long lasting and a can will last for 2 and a bit whole applications, it will keep rust at bay and prevent furring around the bike. Maybe you know of it, if not worth a read up.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#5 marrk_us

marrk_us

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 10:44 am

Thanks Dabs, JUst ordered 2 cans from work on my phone at 4 am. Gotta love the internet! Do you just use the spray or the spray and dielectric grease?

Edited by marrk_us, 02 October 2014 - 07:58 pm.

#6 dablik

dablik

• 10,754 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 10:07 pm

Thanks Dabs, JUst ordered 2 cans from work on my phone at 4 am. Gotta love the internet! Do you just use the spray or the spray and dielectric grease?

Just the spray is all fella,been using it for about 4 years now, seems to keep the bike sweet and in running order, all the metal gets covered for winter, the bike will look like shit during the winter but, once it's all washed off you can see how effective it is, use a rag for the wheels, calipers etc or a small brush, also best to warm the can up for 10-15 mins in warm water then a shake, this will get you a nice froth to spray, so will spread further.... used by an awful lot of bikers this side of the pond and highly recommended.....

Edit......even the ECU gets pulled apart and squirted  :)  maybe a bit OTT but does it for me.

Edited by dablik, 02 October 2014 - 10:11 pm.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#7 marrk_us

marrk_us

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 10:11 pm

Just the spray is all fella,been using it for about 4 years now, seems to keep the bike sweet and in running order, all the metal gets covered for winter, the bike will look like shit during the winter but, once it's all washed off you can see how effective it is, use a rag for the wheels, calipers etc or a small brush, also best to warm the can up for 10-15 mins in warm water then a shake, this will get you a nice froth to spray, so will spread further.... used by an awful lot of bikers this side of the pond and highly recommended.....

Thanks again. Never heard of it before, but ends up a company just north of me in Colorado carries it and sending some down. All the reviews i've seen are positive. It'll be next week so now i have time to pull the headlight housings for a good cleaning.

#8 dablik

dablik

• 10,754 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 10:16 pm

:badgerrock:

#9 marrk_us

marrk_us

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 03:58 pm

Got the ACF-50 in the mail today. Been working my way from one end of the bike to the other with contact cleaner, compressed air, & ACF-50, cleaning all elec connectors. The headlight/horn/ signal switch cleaned up great. Now when I switch us the t/s the switch pops right back to the center position slick as can be.  :good: Never knew yammy switches could work almost as good as my hondas!!

#10 Sidarta

Sidarta

just half a litre to go

• 845 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 05 October 2014 - 12:35 am

Hi  Marrk_us!

Good to know you solved the problem.
Now just run and joy.

You now become a surgeon specializing in surgery of cataract, headlights for TDM.

Cheers!

Att
Sidarta 

TDM850 ano 2001
 Honda XLX 250 1988 
Honda Tornado 2005 - Honda CB400 1982 
Honda CB350 1972 e 1973

#11 marrk_us

marrk_us

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 03:14 am

Hi  Marrk_us!

Good to know you solved the problem.
Now just run and joy.

You now become a surgeon specializing in surgery of cataract, headlights for TDM.

Cheers!

Well.....not so fast, but the end is in sight. Seems one thingy always leads to another recently. Started out make the bike a little more comfy with some footpegs http://www.carpe-tdm...showtopic=30696

Which led me to start riding to work at nite to sort them out before a ride at the end of this week. No lights 1 nite lead to this thread. Lights seemed a little dim (Tdm is probably thinking the same about its rider) so I checked the charging which lead to my regulator thread http://www.carpe-tdm...showtopic=30696

So of course when cleaning the headlight lenses today (what can go wrong right?) they don't want to come off and 2 or 3 mounting studs pull out.

20141004_202758_zpsb0a1bffa.jpg

No biggie i'll pick up some glue and reinstall them in the morning. They still fit tight in the housing so it'll all work out. At least the lens are like new inside and out!

20141004_202634_zpsc204b791.jpg

Hopefully i'm a little less dim also. So glue in the morning, finish up the regulator, sort the F@#&**N pegs and i'll be good. So long as there's a nice Fall ride in the mountains next weekend and a few drinks it'll be worth it :drinks:

#12 marrk_us

marrk_us

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 12:13 am

All back together, every connector and switch cleaned and sprayed, charging fine, new regulator doing it's job. Headlights are the best they've ever been with good cleaning & a pair of sylvania silverstars.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users