#1 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,913 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 06 July 2020 - 10:14 pm

During lockdown I've decorated the whole house, landscaped the gardens and given the TDM and the Crosstourer major services. It's amazing how much spare time I have when I can't go to the pub.Anyways, in search of my next project, I dragged the old XTZ750 out from the back of the garage yesterday.It's time to fix a sticking front caliper, finish the cosmetics, give her a once over and get an MoT on here. Luckily I checked the fuel lines after turning the taps on (there are two for the saddle tank) and before turning the ignition on. As soon as I touched one, it literally disintegrated in my hands, unleaded everywhere  :unsure2: These lines were all replaced about 3 years ago and have never given me any issues. The stuff I bought was neoprene wrapped in a black woven material. They were sold as "suitable for petrol and diesel". A bit of googling showed me they weren't at all suitable for modern fuels with Ethanol in the mix. Outside they looked fine. Inside they were rotten.

Usually, before laying up the XTZ after a bit of work, I use a stabiliser and run the engine with the taps off until the carbs drain. Thinking back, I last wheeled her out so I could use her to prove Dablik's ECU was working OK (MK1's and XTZs have a lot of common parts). Clearly I was so excited at Cliff's arrival that I forgot my usual drain down procedure. I just hope I haven't buggered anything else up. I hate working on carbs!!!

New, ethanol-safe fuel lines are on their way, hopefully that's all that needs replacing.

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,105 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 07 July 2020 - 04:30 am

Ewwww. Ethanol doesn't seem very friendly do it.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,754 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 07 July 2020 - 06:13 am

ethanol is horrible and all pumps seem to have E10 on all of them.
that's 10% 

I think its nitrile that's the ethanol proof. I've just replaced all carb seals for that reason

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#4 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 07 July 2020 - 09:11 am

Oh joy, i've just replaced my fuel lines with the same hose, i had previously bought some more reliable hose but found it to be quite a big outside diameter so awkard to fit and became very stiff after a year in-situ, not helpful when you need to turn the tank around for fettling, will be keeping an eye on them, have all Viton seals fitted on my carbs.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#5 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 07 July 2020 - 10:30 am

On the face of it this looks like just a PITA but could be quite serious if fuel lines blow while your riding. 

#6 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 07 July 2020 - 11:08 am

Neoprene and superglue deffo don't go together either, it makes the neoprene heat up and smoke, giving off toxic fumes. Good job you noticed it when you did really Chris. Just a pain having to replace them all.  I reckon the carbs and fuel pump should be ok.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#7 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 07 July 2020 - 01:05 pm

Good job you noticed it when you did really Chris. Just a pain having to replace them all.  I reckon the carbs and fuel pump should be ok.

Yes, I could have easily just started it and I'm pretty sure the vibration alone would have broken a hose  :blink:  

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#8 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 03 July 2021 - 06:25 pm

Oh dear, well it seems i used the same hose and mine has lasted a year  :huh:  i think i wont bother with neoprene now..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#9 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 03 July 2021 - 06:54 pm

Sorry to repeat myself but most of the stuff we're getting is from china. Lots from brit suppliers but made in,,,,,,,,

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#10 mh1848

mh1848

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 05 July 2021 - 02:52 pm

Sorry to repeat myself but most of the stuff we're getting is from china. Lots from brit suppliers but made in,,,,,,,,

you get the quality you pay for - the Chinese can make high quality stuff if western companies want to pay for it - check out their military and space tech

TDM 1991 - two into one micron mated with a A16 Road and Race Supplies Stainless short can - Conti Road Attacks - Kagazume Wavy Rear Disc - Bagster tank cover - homemade sheepskin seat cover on top of custom seat cover - NonFango topbox on homemade mount - custom fusebox - very loud airhorn and cyclone alarm

#11 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Location:West of France, south of the Loire...the good bit !

Posted 05 July 2021 - 09:09 pm

you get the quality you pay for - the Chinese can make high quality stuff if western companies want to pay for it - check out their military and space tech

Could you point me to a particular web-site, please.

I really fancy a tank or a satellite or even one of those super cool motorcycle sidecar combinations with the machine gun mount in the sidecar.  But I've been all over Ebay and AliExpress and I've come up with nothing ??

#12 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 06 July 2021 - 08:20 am

Curly, are you using E5 or E10 over there ?

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#13 mh1848

mh1848

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 10:15 am

I really fancy a tank or a satellite or even one of those super cool motorcycle sidecar combinations with the machine gun mount in the sidecar.  But I've been all over Ebay and AliExpress and I've come up with nothing ??

Tiangong: astronauts are working on China's new space station – here's what to expect (theconversation.com)

TDM 1991 - two into one micron mated with a A16 Road and Race Supplies Stainless short can - Conti Road Attacks - Kagazume Wavy Rear Disc - Bagster tank cover - homemade sheepskin seat cover on top of custom seat cover - NonFango topbox on homemade mount - custom fusebox - very loud airhorn and cyclone alarm

#14 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 13 July 2021 - 08:55 pm

With a nice big red star on it too.

Smells of noodles I heard.......

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users