19 replies to this topic

#1 richierex

richierex

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 166 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 24 November 2015 - 05:59 pm

What do members think is the best luggage fitment. I have toured with two 35litre Givi and a Bagster tank bag in the past. When I have used a top box as well, I almost always fill it and it becomes a lot of weight at the back, so whats the best for two people to tour with.

The bike is currently fitted with a Givi Monorack and top plate for a Monokey box, also the tubular pannier mounts for the Givi boxes, plus tank cover and bag.

I was lucky enough to buy a set of genuine Yamaha panniers from Fav on here, thanks Fav. I intend to fit these and possibly fit a Yamaha rack and a Givi Z113C top plate and fit a small 30l Yamaha top box.

Or should I leave the Monorack and change the top plate to a Givi MM plate but as i dont intend to fill the box with a lot of weight, would the Yamaha rack bolted to the grab rail be sufficient.

I also have a modified grab rail fitted with a MM3 plate that is not currently being used.

I could then free up the Givi bag mounts and Monorack.

So as you can see, I am confused as to the best way to go. So what have you got fitted and is it any good?

Edited by richierex, 24 November 2015 - 06:02 pm.

#2 Rewop

Rewop

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 127 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 24 November 2015 - 07:27 pm

I have Givi fittings, panniers, top box, and tank bag for my 9er and I was surprised at how heavy it is - approx 19 kilos, before I've put anything in it.  Having said that the system is strong, well made and seems built to last, and I doubt if any other hard pannier system of equal or better quality is much lighter. I wouldn't be happy with the top box being just bolted to the the grab rail, my top box weighs 4kilos empty! - If the overall weight is a real concern to you perhaps you should go for soft luggage as this is much lighter .

#3 and30ers

and30ers

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 286 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 24 November 2015 - 09:12 pm

My gut feel is that the 9er oem grab rail is more sturdy than any Givi top box rack. I have bolted my 47 L box via universal plate to the oem grab rail.

#4 richierex

richierex

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 11:21 pm

My gut feel is that the 9er oem grab rail is more sturdy than any Givi top box rack. I have bolted my 47 L box via universal plate to the oem grab rail.

I think you are right here, the genuine Yamaha system seems to bolt to the underside of  the grab rail

#5 and30ers

and30ers

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 08:42 am

Photo of the set up. Givi B47 top and E21 sides. Soft wp bag (w. tent, sleeping bag, pillow, mattress) strapped on top of pillion seat and pannier lids. No pillion. Bike drives and handle like without any luggage at all, a joy to ride on curvy mountain roads.

140720_1341_S1.jpg

#6 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:04 am

My topbox mount is a dealer fitted option when new and has a bracket mounted to the grab rail.  The mount's secure but I have a Givi MonoLock topbox which feels very flimsy compared with my previous MonoKey one. I always try to keep the weight in the topbox to a minimum, ideally when touring it's only half full so I've go space to buy food or stash my tank bag in there when I stop.  I'd always go for hard luggage when touring, as it means I'm happy to wander away from the bike without worrying about someone nicking my gear. 

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#7 richierex

richierex

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 04:36 pm

Photo of the set up. Givi B47 top and E21 sides. Soft wp bag (w. tent, sleeping bag, pillow, mattress) strapped on top of pillion seat and pannier lids. No pillion. Bike drives and handle like without any luggage at all, a joy to ride on curvy mountain roads.

140720_1341_S1.jpg

Did you fit the top box mounting plate direct to the grab rail? I have the Yamaha 30l box so weight should not be a problem.thanks

I have Givi fittings, panniers, top box, and tank bag for my 9er and I was surprised at how heavy it is - approx 19 kilos, before I've put anything in it.  Having said that the system is strong, well made and seems built to last, and I doubt if any other hard pannier system of equal or better quality is much lighter. I wouldn't be happy with the top box being just bolted to the the grab rail, my top box weighs 4kilos empty! - If the overall weight is a real concern to you perhaps you should go for soft luggage as this is much lighter .

No, soft luggage was never an option, I have had some very heavy top boxes in the past, Maxia rings a bell so want to go with a lighter and probably smaller option.

#8 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 25 November 2015 - 06:18 pm

Richie I made some mounts for a givi monokey plate which
1. Mounts along with std grab rail
2. Uses the yamaha pannier rear mounts to add support
3. Carried a givi 45litre topbox for 6000 miles without a problem along with the std yam panniers
4. I can have a look for them on Saturday when I get home cos I can't remember if I threw them out:(

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#9 richierex

richierex

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 06:28 pm

Richie I made some mounts for a givi monokey plate which
1. Mounts along with std grab rail
2. Uses the yamaha pannier rear mounts to add support
3. Carried a givi 45litre topbox for 6000 miles without a problem along with the std yam panniers
4. I can have a look for them on Saturday when I get home cos I can't remember if I threw them out:(

many thanks, i have a Monokey plate mounted to std grab rail, has 2 holes drilled, well 4 because prev. owner decided to move it back one inch.  On Ebay now with subframe brace. I have noticed that the Yamaha pannier mounts actually use the grab rail as a support.

#10 and30ers

and30ers

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 07:28 pm

My Givi universal plate (included free with the B47NT box) is fitted with included clamps in the central opening of the grab rail rack. No drilling or permanent damage to the oem rack. Fitted some layers of gaffer tape between rack and plate for protection and to increase friction, helps plate stay put and not vibrate/move around.

#11 richierex

richierex

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 08:06 pm

My Givi universal plate (included free with the B47NT box) is fitted with included clamps in the central opening of the grab rail rack. No drilling or permanent damage to the oem rack. Fitted some layers of gaffer tape between rack and plate for protection and to increase friction, helps plate stay put and not vibrate/move around.

Might go this way as it looks good and its only a small topbox. Together with the Yamaha panniers. It also means I can sell my brand new Monorack and M3 plate together with my Givi side mounts to pull some money back.

#12 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 25 November 2015 - 08:21 pm

No drilling no clamps no damage with my home brewed effort

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#13 Luke

Luke

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 271 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 26 November 2015 - 07:56 pm

Hi , I have been using a Givi Wingrack II, E52 Maxia, E41 panniers since I bought them in 2003. They have been around Europe a few times with pillion. I also use a medium sized Bagster, instead of the one shown, which is 40 lts. The top box normally starts empty from home, but is full by the time we get back. I have never had a problem with everything fully loaded. It still handles well. This is the road from Andorra into France.

Attached Files

Fuel Cans, PCIII USB, Oxford Heated Grips, K&N Air Filter, Air Box Mod, Michelin Pilot Road 3, MRA Vario Screen, Scotoiler HRC, Givi Wingrack, Givi E52 Maxia Top Box, Givi E41 Panniers, Hagon Progressive Forks, Centre Stand, Bagster Tank Cover + Bags

#14 Latestarter

Latestarter

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 10 December 2015 - 01:00 am

140720_1341_S1.jpg

and30ers, I'm looking to downsize from V35's to E21 or E22, what rack you using on your E21 as I thought I'd have to move the indicators if I use the PL347.... Love the look of your bike too

2003 TDM900 in Galaxy Blue with 32k on the clock

Scottolier, TDM Gel Saddle, Blue HEL Brake Line Upgrade Feeding Blue Spot Callipers. Air Intake Mod,

Oxford Heated Grips, Polisport Handguards, RM-G Crash bars & Centre Stand, Givi
Touring & Double Bubble Screens, Bar Risers, Renthal 755 Riser Bars,
Givi E22N Panniers & Top Box, Clear Indicator Lens Conversation, Clear LED Rear Light Conversion, Mirror Extenders, TDM Stainless Radiator Cover and Stainless Screen Screws, SP Performance Carbon Tri-Oval Cans,
HID Headlight Upgrade, DRL Spotlights and Still Spending But Dont Tell The Wife!!

#15 and30ers

and30ers

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 06:44 am

The PL rack is for all straight backside panniers. PLX is for curved back panniers.

You don't need to move indicators to mount the PL rack, I think the racks cross brace can be routed though the indicator holes or just as on my bike under the fender. No need to mod the cross brace, just rotate to different angle.

https://flic.kr/p/dpUxCA

https://flic.kr/p/dpUxxQ

Edited by and30ers, 10 December 2015 - 06:56 am.

#16 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 10 December 2015 - 08:15 am

Yep as Anders above, i added a cable tie each side through the undertray and around the brace just to be sure.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#17 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 09:04 am

I spent chuffing ages trying to work out how to remove the sodding indicators to fit my PL racks before I realised I didn't need to :lol:

2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

#18 Latestarter

Latestarter

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 05:27 pm

The PL rack is for all straight backside panniers. PLX is for curved back panniers.

You don't need to move indicators to mount the PL rack, I think the racks cross brace can be routed though the indicator holes or just as on my bike under the fender. No need to mod the cross brace, just rotate to different angle.

https://flic.kr/p/dpUxCA

https://flic.kr/p/dpUxxQ

Cheers Fella

Just got to try and move on the V35's dont want to be stuck with two sets of panniers & racks?

Thanks again.

Edited by Latestarter, 10 December 2015 - 05:28 pm.

Scottolier, TDM Gel Saddle, Blue HEL Brake Line Upgrade Feeding Blue Spot Callipers. Air Intake Mod,

Givi E22N Panniers & Top Box, Clear Indicator Lens Conversation, Clear LED Rear Light Conversion, Mirror Extenders, TDM Stainless Radiator Cover and Stainless Screen Screws, SP Performance Carbon Tri-Oval Cans,
HID Headlight Upgrade, DRL Spotlights and Still Spending But Dont Tell The Wife!!

#19 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 07:23 am

Buy yourself another bike to fit them to :D

#20 Latestarter

Latestarter

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 08:23 am

Buy yourself another bike to fit them to :D

:banana:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users