#1 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:13 pm

......the acronym may be meaningless to some....but stands for Ultra Low Emission Zone
and refers to the creation of an area of central London (to be expanded next year)
& (maybe?) other cities (soon).....
Vehicles which dont comply with certain emission standards will have to pay a significant fee
to enter the zone. This seems to apply to all 850s & perhaps early 900s.....(not sure)

Battling through all the gov. info. it appears that some vehicles can be modified to make them compliant,
but I cant decipher more detail.....some sort of filter appears available, to be fitted by officialy registered
companies...but that may only be for diesels.

Anyone know more?.........Jiff

#2 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 05 December 2018 - 01:28 pm

I was reading recently that ALL pre-2007 scooters and mopeds will be paying ULEZ in London...or at least, that is the proposal. In which case it may be the thin end of the wedge and extended to motorcycles too. My 2004 registered TDM900 is chargeable. There is a site you can go to and check your bike via it's reg number....

> > >  Check Here > >  https://tfl.gov.uk/m...rm-checker-ulez

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#3 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 05 December 2018 - 04:39 pm

I was reading recently that ALL pre-2007 scooters and mopeds will be paying ULEZ in London...or at least, that is the proposal. In which case it may be the thin end of the wedge and extended to motorcycles too. My 2004 registered TDM900 is chargeable. There is a site you can go to and check your bike via it's reg number....

> > >  Check Here > >  https://tfl.gov.uk/m...rm-checker-ulez

.....yep!.....done that.....my 4TX is definitely liable to attract the charge
I live in what will be the expanded zone, and will, apparently, be granted a limited ‘stay of execution’
but then will have to cough along with everyone else......
Don’t want to part from my beloved 4TX......so hence trying to see if any mods. are available / possible
to make it compliant

#4 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 04:57 pm

.....yep!.....done that.....my 4TX is definitely liable to attract the charge
I live in what will be the expanded zone, and will, apparently, be granted a limited ‘stay of execution’
but then will have to cough along with everyone else......
Don’t want to part from my beloved 4TX......so hence trying to see if any mods. are available / possible
to make it compliant

I know where you're coming from, but any modification would mean that they would need to inspect it....and anyone else's, whoever chooses to do that. The very least i would imagine would be the requirement for a new SVA test (type approval)  and certificate of compliance...not cheap.

You just need a small electric motor and battery pack on the front wheel (or rear wheel) and you can call it a hybrid :)

Edited by fixitsan, 05 December 2018 - 06:02 pm.

#5 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Location:West of France, south of the Loire...the good bit !
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 05 December 2018 - 09:01 pm

I know where you're coming from, but any modification would mean that they would need to inspect it....and anyone else's, whoever chooses to do that. The very least i would imagine would be the requirement for a new SVA test (type approval)  and certificate of compliance...not cheap.

You just need a small electric motor and battery pack on the front wheel (or rear wheel) and you can call it a hybrid :)

Try convincing DVLA of that.....

#6 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 09:36 pm

Try convincing DVLA of that.....

Well funny you should mention that, as someone who has converted an FZ600 to electric power I thought it would be a nightmare. but all I need to do is just change fuel type to 'Electricity' and they issue a new appropriate reg document,

I don't have a clue about hybrid though....  I've just found this for someone's hybrid car, lists fuel type  'Hybrid Electric'

• Date of first registration: March 2017
  • Year of manufacture: 2017
  • Cylinder capacity (cc): 1395 cc
  • CO₂Emissions: 40 g/km
  • Export marker: No
  • Vehicle status: Tax not due
  • Vehicle colour: WHITE
  • Vehicle type approval: M1
  • Wheelplan: 2 AXLE RIGID BODY
  • Revenue weight: 2040kg

DVLA don't require an inspection

#7 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 11:38 pm

Well funny you should mention that, as someone who has converted an FZ600 to electric power I thought it would be a nightmare. but all I need to do is just change fuel type to 'Electricity' and they issue a new appropriate reg document,

I don't have a clue about hybrid though....  I've just found this for someone's hybrid car, lists fuel type  'Hybrid Electric'

• Date of first registration: March 2017
  • Year of manufacture: 2017
  • Cylinder capacity (cc): 1395 cc
  • CO₂Emissions: 40 g/km
  • Export marker: No
  • Vehicle status: Tax not due
  • Vehicle colour: WHITE
  • Vehicle type approval: M1
  • Wheelplan: 2 AXLE RIGID BODY
  • Revenue weight: 2040kg

DVLA don't require an inspection

Well, Well, Well …. ?

Is this a loophole ?    Use it as much as you can.  Well done !

Doubt  you'd get away with it in France.  But who knows...?

#8 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:04 am

Well, Well, Well …. ?

Is this a loophole ?    Use it as much as you can.  Well done !

Doubt  you'd get away with it in France.  But who knows...?

I started looking into it years ago when I thought about building an electric car. On one of the forums was a guy, ex engineer and a serving cop, who had figured out that the smart thing to do  was to convert a car which had a current MOT, send off the logbook to DVLA with the adjustment to the fuel type, who then simply returned an updated V5. At the next MOT the car is tested against the fuel class.on the V5

The only people who are shirty , (and perhaps rightly so) are the insurance companies. Some insist on an engineer report at minimum, others have asked for a full SVA 'type approval' test, and the rest won't touch you with a bargepole.

#9 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 10:55 am

Insurance companies..... a bunch of accuntants  led by bookies.

#10 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 12:32 pm

Insurance companies..... a bunch of accuntants  led by bookies.

My dad taught me at a young age :).  Banks are only money lenders with a smiley tv advert !

#11 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 02:36 pm

I just came across this on a Facebook group....

Euro 3 Compliance Info

One of our members has found out how to see if your older bike is actually Euro 3 compliant, see below:

Good news, i've copied and pasted the result of the riders outcoem - " ULEZ has accepted the documentation and my bike is now ULEZ exempt! The NOx figure is what TFL care about and the 1200GS has a figure of 0.038 whereas the maximum allowed is 0.15 (EURO3 standard) so it is way under.

Process for 1200GS
You will need the homologation paper for your bike, it is based on the VIN number I am afraid. I got mine from BMW homologation department (email eccoc@bmw.co.uk) after sending through a copy of my V5, filling in a form and paying £120.00. If you email them will will send you the form you need to complete.

Once you have the homologation certificate you send that along with a copy of the V5 to TFL (there is a link on ther website for applying for exemption) and you should receive notification in a few days.

If you have a friendly BMW dealer try ask them for the homologation papers, it may save you £120.00!

Other < 2006 bikes
What I did is contact eccoc@bmw.co.uk for the emission figures for the bike in question. You should get a table with the emission figures, the important one is the NOx. If the NOx is under 0.15 then you need to decide if you want to pay the £120.00 for the homologation papers. TFL require the homologation papers to grant you exemption." This may also work with other manufacturers.

#12 SausageSide

SausageSide

arrived on last train

• 1 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 16 January 2021 - 07:38 pm

2021 UPDATE

Hello folks, sorry my first post is tagged on the end of an old thread, but I've just bought a TDM900 and have had it confirmed from a couple of members on Facebook TDM groups that ANY TDM900 is in fact ULEZ compliant.

A user on the Facebook group associated with Carpe detailed the steps he took to get his 2003 TDM exempted in 2020:

He emailed customer services at Yamaha UK, who confirmed that the NOx emissions for an early TDM900 are 0.06g/kg, less than half the qualifying 0.15g/kg threshold for ULEZ compliance.

Yamaha sent him a certificate of conformity for a fee of £75 (or possibly £60, I may have misunderstood the message there) which he presented to TFL, who accepted it and granted his bike a ULEZ exemption.

I'm new to these bikes but it strikes me as an ideal machine for those who want a bike for touring/scratching but also need to get about in London. The TFL ULEZ checker claims the pre 07 bikes are not compliant, and it would be a shame for anyone to part with a bike they enjoy based on bad information from the TFL database.

I am about to go through the process myself in readiness for the ULEZ extension later this year, and since this thread seems to conclude that pre 07 TDMs are not compliant it might be prudent to open a new thread, starting with a step-by-step guide on how to get your bike through the process.

As I say I'm new to Carpe-TDM so I'd be interested to hear your collective thoughts!

Safe riding

#13 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 16 January 2021 - 08:43 pm

I checked mine here https://tfl.gov.uk/m...w-emission-zone

Sez it's ok on an 08 plate - so no surprise there. Be interesting to see how you go with your quest  :good:

Checked the German oil burner - is OK also

Edited by Favs, 16 January 2021 - 08:45 pm.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#14 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 17 January 2021 - 07:20 pm

Hello and welcome sausage.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#15 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 23 January 2021 - 12:25 am

Gaz (owns the Commuters Motorcycle Club website) got his 2005 thru the ULEZ test too last year.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users