#1 Johnners

Johnners

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 120 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 11 August 2022 - 12:06 pm

Hi all,

I've had a good nosey nose at past topics but couldn't find what I was looking for. Sadly my 75k miles 900 has developed an oil leak. I don't think it's from the filter housing - I cleaned surfaces and replaced o rings. There still a leak that comes from somewhere in that area but just can't pin it down. Does anyone have any ideas of other likely spots that a leak may develop? I'm almost at the stage of putting UV dye in the oil.

Many thanks for any suggestions.

#2 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 11 August 2022 - 12:09 pm

difficult one. have you changed the oil recently? the wind has a habit of whipping the oil round and getting places wet where its not actually leaking.  Ive had that before when I spilled a bit when I was changing the oil 

#3 Johnners

Johnners

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 11 August 2022 - 12:28 pm

Yes I had, but the leak was happening before I did that. It's weeping enough to leave a few drops of oil on the ground after each ride.

#4 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 11 August 2022 - 12:36 pm

You could try cleaning everything and then run until source of oil can be located. Once everything is clean it may be easier to tell.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#5 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 11 August 2022 - 12:56 pm

Once clean chalkdust can make a leak stand out nicely before it splats elsewhere and hides itself, at work we use a developer spray for crack testing that leaves a fine dust that does a good job.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#6 Johnners

Johnners

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 11 August 2022 - 01:00 pm

Worth a try - chalk is defo more cost effective than oil additives (and won't require replacing oil again after finding said leak). I'll put me marigolds on and give it a scrub then 😉

Edited by Johnners, 11 August 2022 - 01:01 pm.

#7 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 11 August 2022 - 02:14 pm

Since it's a 9er ewe can also ewes perfumed talc if you ain't got chalk.

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#8 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 11 August 2022 - 02:17 pm

:rotflmmfao: :rotflmmfao:

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#9 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 11 August 2022 - 03:16 pm

Glad I didn't mention baby powder now !

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#10 LeoD850

LeoD850

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 54 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 11 August 2022 - 04:55 pm

I had the same issue with my Mk2 850. It turned out to be a hairline fracture on the clutch cover, around the bolt holes that secure it to the engine. It was two of the holes near the the top of the oil filter casing.Might be worth a look.

#11 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 11 August 2022 - 05:31 pm

I had what i thought was a sump cover oil leak, turned out to be the rocker cover dribbling down, talc powder user  :)

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#12 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 11 August 2022 - 06:15 pm

I trust the little spacer with the smaller O ring on the oil filter cover is present?

A few have been caught out with it dropping in the waste oil bucket.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#13 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 12 August 2022 - 10:22 pm

Have you looked at the sump gasket? I had a weepy one around the oil filter housing, and after several undo, new O ring, undo, new O ring rinse, repeat, it turned out to be the sump gasket.

Edited by Pedro, 12 August 2022 - 10:22 pm.

#14 Johnners

Johnners

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 07:47 am

Thanks for the advice, had checked and replaced both O rings for the filter, will look more closely at the sump and covers. Off to Boots for me baby powder then 😆

#15 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 13 August 2022 - 03:50 pm

iirc, Ivan had a leak from the oil pipe banjo, that said it was more of a damp patch than a leak.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#16 Johnners

Johnners

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 18 October 2022 - 02:17 pm

So, it seems after much scratching of bonce and getting oil everywhere, it appears to be leaking from the oil pump cover. Dribbles from the top left side of the cover getting everything below it a bit mucky. Sooo, question is, where can I get a gasket? Fowlers is out of stock. If I can't find one relatively quickly, anyone know what gasket material is required? I could always make one from a sheet of gasket paper or summat. Thanks muchly.

Edited by Johnners, 18 October 2022 - 02:17 pm.

#17 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 18 October 2022 - 03:27 pm

Yeah make yer own for that if ewe can't buy Juan. Is the shape any diff from 850 cover...hmmm dunno.

Anyways. If it's the outer cover then it's easy to access so straight forward enough to have a go.

If it's the gaskets on the actual pumps thazzabitmoretricky.

#18 Johnners

Johnners

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 20 October 2022 - 01:57 pm

I think the covers are different. Pretty sure it's the cover gasket.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users