#1 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 03 October 2007 - 02:55 pm

Having admired Wicky's "Nitram special" LED indicators with the built in running lights, and having noticed just how cheaply you get packs of 100 high intensity LED's of e-bay, I'm tempted to build myself some, mainly for the running lights because they make the bike a lot more noticable.

In the absence of Nitram (last post about a year ago), I have a couple of questions for anyone who has them fitted, and any electronics experts out there.

1 - Presumably you had to fit a different flasher unit rather than having ballancing resistors built in to the indicator unit? Resistors would be the easier option but I'm a bit concerned about the amount of heat they'd have to dump.

2 - Did he use white LED's or where they yellow/amber? I'm thinking the brilliant white ones might be a little too pale for the indicator, though brilliant for the running lights

3 - How many LED's in the array? Dunno how bright indicators are supposed to be but brake lights are supposed to be 60-185 Candela so I reckon with the high intensity jobbies (12-15 Candela) I could get away with 9-12 (calcs suggest series of 3 is best configuration for 14.4 volt) plus a few more set at an angle. A lot of the automotive LED bulbs use 12-19 LEDs but I guess they're not as bright. If I buy in packs of 100 this isn't going to be a big problem though.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#2 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 03 October 2007 - 03:07 pm

or buy stock BMW indicators which accept 'lite buddies' which are supplied by Nippy Normans, u can get clear lens fer them too. actually u can get clear winker and tail lens fer MKI and MKII TDM's too.
ps i tink the beemer winkers woiuld fit easily as i looked into doin it.

Edited by wicklamulla, 03 October 2007 - 03:07 pm.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#3 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 03 October 2007 - 03:08 pm

my only comment about wickys is the running lights make it harder to notice when the indicator is on

but.....an LED rear light has got to be better than the standard mk1, in the rain and spray it was almost impossible to see your rear light, but Rays tiger LED rear lights where as bright as can be

i was looking at these http://cgi.ebay.co.u...em=250170302266

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#4 jht

jht

has been here 4ever

• 1,769 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 03 October 2007 - 03:12 pm

Had some LED rear bulbs fer the VFR from a famous local automotive emporium

reckon they were dimmer than the ordinary 21/5w jobbies when fitted dry.gif

(tested using my eyeballs at night !!)

still have them somewhere

found these too

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...em=110174207677

Edited by jht, 03 October 2007 - 03:17 pm.

Done: Homo sap navigation/ twisty thing on bars to make it go vroom/ grabby thing to make it stop (in front of twisty thing)/ 'leccy things front and rear to make it glow at night/ Sucky + drippy oiler thing to keep chains moist (!!) / Laser Pro Stock Race pipes / bleeding ear drums (see previous mod)
To do: Educate homo sap nav system to operate twisty + grabby things/ get ear plugs

All Trashed Now... Pants... its a Cat B Mwahahaha it lives again!!

Remember every driver is a deaf myoptic twat who is out to kill you, ALWAYS assume they are going to do THE most f*cking DUMBASS, STUPID manouver possible, at the worst possible moment; get past, and get past quick

#5 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 03:18 pm

Wicky:
Cheers, I'll take a look a the BMW ones

Tony:
I was only thinking of doing the front ones, Wicky's front indicators showed up pretty well, anmd I like the impression of width the running lights gave (thought it might have been due to the cooked breakfasts and mixed grills) I never got close enough behind him to see how well his rear ones work rolleyes.gif
Having followed you and Martin a few times recently I reckon the LED brake light strip on the givi rack is a good idea, and you've got a good point about upgrading the rear lights, though watch out which bulbs you get. I'm pretty certain the Mk1 uses dual filament jobbies with rear light and brake light in one bulb, not the type you posted. Plus a lot of bikes use spill from the rear light to illuminate the number plate, not sure if the Mk1 has a seperate bulb for that, but if not you need a different type of LED bulb.

jht:
That looks like the unit Wicky and someone else (must have been either Waspy or Avonne) had last weekend.

Edited by ChrisG, 03 October 2007 - 03:20 pm.

2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

#6 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 03 October 2007 - 03:39 pm

Bulbs R Us have various arrays including 19LED amber for indicators.

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#7 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 03 October 2007 - 03:50 pm

QUOTE(ChrisG @ Wed 3rd Oct 2007, 04:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wicky:
Cheers, I'll take a look a the BMW ones
look at the ones fitted to 1150 GS and Rocksters, if ya cud get a set (stalks, wiring etc) from a breaker you'd save a fortune plus they are 'factory produced' not like the home made shoite ones i had to endure as they failed alot.
jht:
That looks like the unit Wicky and someone else (must have been either Waspy or Avonne) had last weekend. yes we both have this set up and i'd be willing to sell the lamp holder/LED assembly minus the clear lens if yer interested, it's quality looking stuff and has the extra LED's pointing downwards fer the number plate illumination, i simply used the LED bulbs that Tony posted a pic of above and it passed the MOT 2 weeks back with this set up no problem.

i may decide to fit clear front winker lenses as that will then clearly show my running lights in white and me indicators in amber, so t'would be easier to distinguish atween the 2, as fer the rear Givi rack ones i have been trying to hunt down clear lenses fer these but nobody seems to sell em, but i have got a stock pair of TDM rear indicators that have been modded like the fronts (red stop/tail led's & amber winker led's) and i could try to fit these with clear lenses to the wingrack, but i'd need to fabricate a bracket of some description i suppose.

http://nippynormans....ts.asp?dept=201

http://nippynormans....e...m=3&mitem=4

http://nippynormans....ts.asp?dept=238

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

#8 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 04:12 pm

QUOTE(Pict @ Wed 3rd Oct 2007, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bulbs R Us have various arrays including 19LED amber for indicators.

WTF? I thought I'd replied to this but it seems to have dissapeared...

Trouble with replacing the indicator bulbs is mose of the LED ones are designed for cars where the bulb faces forewards/backwards. The TDM's bulbs face sideways so the standard car ones won't work.

That shop does sell a high power resistor with built in heatsink that would save changing the relay though.

Nobody seems to be breaking any BMW's on e-bay at the moment. I'll take a look at the indicators on the next GS I see. I have a look at the stock Mk1 indicator tonight to see if there's space to buildsomething like those Nippy Norman jobbies. If I can then get clear lenses (and another indicator 'cos I've only got the left one rolleyes.gif and my Motrax replacements are a bit too small) I could try LED running lights and amber incandescent bulb, It that doesn't fit I could have a go at building my own full LED setup.

#9 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 07:16 pm

Bugger me, I'd forgotten how huge the standard TDM indicators are. I reckon at a push I could fit a 6x12 array of 3mm LED's in there. That's be brighter than my headlights!

Any ideas where I'd get clear indicator lenses for a Mk1? I can see the BMW idea might be easier as there's a lot more accessories for them

Edited by ChrisG, 03 October 2007 - 07:29 pm.

#10 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• 4,205 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 03 October 2007 - 10:10 pm

If you are going to replace the stop tail lights with LEDs used red ones as the "white" ones are shite through the red lense.
TAM
2008 TDM 900 in BLACK, MRA Vario, DL handguards & more to come
1994 TDM 850 mkI Silver, with Blueflame end can, Gone to a new owner & I kinda miss her!

th_09062006104.jpg th_02012009095.jpg

Only a Biker knows why a Dog sticks it head out the car window

#11 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 10:21 pm

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...1QQcmdZViewItem

copy, pasted and checked link is working.

Edited by wicklamulla, 03 October 2007 - 10:21 pm.

#12 E-njoy

E-njoy

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 04 October 2007 - 12:15 am

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Wed 3rd Oct 2007, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It seems a lot cheaper (depending on shipping though) if you order from the source: http://www.run-n-lit...m/pricelist.asp

Do you know if the GS blinkers and stalks fit on the TDM900 as well? Seems interesting to replace the front with these amber LED runners and the rear with the red LED runners (both with clear lenses and amber bulbs then), although I do like the look of my black blinkers right now...

Emile
www.piloot.com
'80 Honda CB400T Hawk, '92 Yamaha XJ600S Diversion, '90 Honda PC800 Pacific Coast, '92 Honda ST1100ABSTCS Pan European, '00 BMW R1150GS ABS, '04 Yamaha XP500i T-max, '01 Triumph Sprint ST 955i, '06 Yamaha TDM900A GT, '02 Honda ST1300A Pan European

#13 Sparra

Sparra

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 04 October 2007 - 12:48 am

QUOTE(E-njoy @ Thu 4th Oct 2007, 10:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It seems a lot cheaper (depending on shipping though) if you order from the source: http://www.run-n-lit...m/pricelist.asp

Do you know if the GS blinkers and stalks fit on the TDM900 as well? Seems interesting to replace the front with these amber LED runners and the rear with the red LED runners (both with clear lenses and amber bulbs then), although I do like the look of my black blinkers right now...

I like the overall look of your bike e-njoy.

2002 TDM900. BMW 1150gs handguards, Oxford heated grips, Staintune exhausts, airbox mod, re-moulded seat, bar risers, Powerlec adaptor, bluetooth, 2way comms, K & N filter, Nonfango hard luggage, center stand, polished alloy wheels, (I'm not gunna)crash knobs

#14 Guest_Mr Whattie_*

Guest_Mr Whattie_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2007 - 07:01 am

I have noticed a lot of interest on the subject of running lights. For a number of years I have been contemplating trying something similar. My idea was to make both indicators stay permanently on [running lights], and when indicating left or right the individual parklight concerned would flash making it more visable. The only mod needed would be to wire in an extra relay to each light to cut power to the individual running light[via the indicator unit] when the indicator was being deployed, to get that running light to flash. Hope this makes sense?
This will then negate the use of two bulbs or a double filament bulb or using "BMW" parts.

#15 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 08:20 am

You're saying you want to run the indicators in reverse? Have them on all the time and flash off when indicating? In that case you could probably do it with a couple of relays and a logic gate to invert the signal from the flasher relay, which you'd need to change as a bimetalic strip one wouldn't be able to do it. Dunno what your laws are like but I doubt that would be legal over here though.

#16 Guest_Favs_*

Guest_Favs_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2007 - 08:47 am

[quote name='jht' date='Wed 3rd Oct 2007, 03:57 PM' post='56385']
Had some LED rear bulbs fer the VFR from a famous local automotive emporium

reckon they were dimmer than the ordinary 21/5w jobbies when fitted dry.gif

(tested using my eyeballs at night !!)

still have them somewhere.

I'm with you when it comes to the perceived light from the LED units vs the standard set-up - I thought they were so crap I binned them rather than let someone I know be tailgated one night/dusk/evening/dawn or other mid/poor ambient light condition.

As for running-lights come indicators - a great idea, I tried it in the early 80's with my XS850.

#17 jht

jht

has been here 4ever

• 1,769 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 09:19 am

The only idea I've had for rear leds was to rig up a kinda secondary led fog/brake light ala givi topbox ones, but on std TDM for use in hi spray lo viz situtaion on the motorway.
Something that would fit under grabrail
don't think running lights will give same viz

Done: Homo sap navigation/ twisty thing on bars to make it go vroom/ grabby thing to make it stop (in front of twisty thing)/ 'leccy things front and rear to make it glow at night/ Sucky + drippy oiler thing to keep chains moist (!!) / Laser Pro Stock Race pipes / bleeding ear drums (see previous mod)
To do: Educate homo sap nav system to operate twisty + grabby things/ get ear plugs

All Trashed Now... Pants... its a Cat B Mwahahaha it lives again!!

Remember every driver is a deaf myoptic twat who is out to kill you, ALWAYS assume they are going to do THE most f*cking DUMBASS, STUPID manouver possible, at the worst possible moment; get past, and get past quick

#18 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 09:25 am

Martin and Tony have fitted LED strip brake lights under thier givi racks and they show up very well.

#19 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 07:34 pm

I'd just like to add that if you want any bulbage, I would thoroughly recommend using AceParts as noted in an earlier post. I've had LED bulbs for various cars & bikes, and service is second to none.

As an example, I ordered a set of Xenons for the Missussessess motor, I got the wrong fog light code. Alan at Ace sent me the new ones within 2 days of me asking, no extra charge & let me keep the wrong 'uns (which fit my car!)

I'm not affiliated in any way to them, just a really satisfied punter who finds a bit of good custy service very welcome indeed!

Dan

1996 TDM850 in Yellow, Motad Nexxus, MK1 bashplate, Acerbis handguards, K&N, Xenons, Aux lamps, Bluespot calipers, Renthal 755 bars, DIY panniers, JBX-inspired gear indicator.  (Currently not on the road.)

Bikes wot I have had and dun't have any more: 1983 Honda CB125TDC, 1976 Kawasaki S1C (early KH250 stroker triple), 1986 Honda VF500F2, 1992 Kawasaki KLE500.

#20 BN2TDM

BN2TDM

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 05 October 2007 - 08:13 pm

QUOTE(TDMTAM @ Wed 3rd Oct 2007, 10:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you are going to replace the stop tail lights with LEDs used red ones as the "white" ones are shite through the red lense.
TAM

I have some red LED bulbs fitted.

I wouldn't say they are a lot brighter, but from a distance it appears there are 2 brake lights; whereas with the ordinary bulbs its like a red 'blob'. I think it looks better with the LEDs fitted though..

Your number plate won't light up like it should do though. Well it will, but in red not white.

Edited by tdmbrightonuk, 05 October 2007 - 08:13 pm.

Who on earth made me get a ZX9R???? I'll get 'em....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users