15 replies to this topic

#1 Oil patch

Oil patch

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 240 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 16 March 2015 - 11:55 am

I'd make a mess in my pants if this happened however I feel the bike could have escaped on the inside line of the car but, would my reactions be quick enough to allow that?

#2 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,745 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 16 March 2015 - 12:01 pm

There's no right answer, it could have gone badly wrong whichever way you went, if something was coming the other way then the first guy would be in trouble and if the right hand side door happened to open the second guy would have been a lot worse off. Sometimes the luck is with you.

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#3 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,973 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 12:19 pm

Totally relying on reactions for that sort of occurance. He could've froze and hit the car just the same. That said, they had no right to complain going at those sort of speeds on a public road. The car driver could've run out of petrol or had any number of legitimate reasons for being stationary in the road. He could've also been stupid of course.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#4 Sidarta

Sidarta

just half a litre to go

• 845 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 16 March 2015 - 02:04 pm

Hi Oil patch!

Speed is very good. But  the big problem is that not always have the vision of what is to come, especially in curves. :hide: 
This guy has a lot of luck, he had very quick reaction. I think he must have soiled his pants. As you said;  however  the bike could have escaped on the inside line of the car but,.. the bike has very high noise accusing presence and  if the driver of the car had the same reaction to escaped by Inside line?
In short: speed not compatible with the field of view . Not compatible with the route. :punishment:

Cheers!

Att
Sidarta 

TDM850 ano 2001
 Honda XLX 250 1988 
Honda Tornado 2005 - Honda CB400 1982 
Honda CB350 1972 e 1973

#5 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 17 March 2015 - 03:05 pm

Wow that was really close !

Sometimes it's a better choice to drive a truck. :good:

The rider's speed is not easy to evaluate : the camera have a wide angle field of view and is located near the ground, this increases the apparent speed.

Btw there is no legitimate reason in France to stay still on the road, you have to clear the lane immediately when stopping or (in case of accident) to put a warning sign some distance ahead. The car driver is all wrong and could be fined.

Except in Corsica where you find cattle on the roads... :lol:

Edited by JBX, 17 March 2015 - 03:10 pm.

top_640.png

#6 steve27bha

steve27bha

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 17 March 2015 - 06:03 pm

The Golden Rule:

Ride at a speed so that you can stop within the distance you can see to be clear, on your own side of the road. On a single track road, halve the distance (and hope the opposition are obeying the rule too).

I know, I know. We don't, but that's the rule, and the video illustrates why it is what it is. This also encourages you to practise emergency braking so you can stop quicker and so go faster!!!

TDM900A 2008/09 in use, with     gallery_179098_391_770.jpg sml_gallery_179098_391_1145.jpg  gallery_179098_391_1206.jpg gallery_179098_391_253.jpg gallery_179098_391_82.jpg gallery_179098_391_725.gif gallery_179098_391_797.jpg gallery_179098_391_1396.jpg gallery_179098_391_501.jpg gallery_179098_391_316.jpg  gallery_179098_391_1768.jpg gallery_179098_391_106.jpggallery_179098_391_2170.jpg gallery_179098_391_1373.jpg

CBX750FE in reserve; Cagiva N90 125 now rebuilt & in use.

#7 Oafski

Oafski

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 141 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 06:46 pm

I was always told "Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly"

"No good deed goes unpunished"

"Lags Droopfinger" The Biking Viking

OCD- Old Coffin Dodger

#8 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,973 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:40 pm

I was always told "Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly"

:)

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#9 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

full o shoite

• 2,050 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 17 March 2015 - 09:09 pm

The Golden Rule:

Ride at a speed so that you can stop within the distance you can see to be clear, on your own side of the road. On a single track road, halve the distance (and hope the opposition are obeying the rule too).

I know, I know. We don't, but that's the rule, and the video illustrates why it is what it is. This also encourages you to practise emergency braking so you can stop quicker and so go faster!!!

Yup. My first thought was he's havin fun, my second was his lines are rubbish, apexing to early to see his exit then the brown trouser moment.

Excellent save, though. And lucky no oncoming traffic. I'm a bit pedantic about my road safety now that the missus is on the road. Setting a good example & all that.

I would like to think that I would have had a little more space and time to react, doubt I can react that fast nowadays.

Watching clips like this and the daily stupidity I see on the road has really tempered my riding. Their must be 100's of corners round here which I know I can take at warp speed but don't. It's not worth the risk of meeting a tourist on the wrong side of the road or any other hazard.

I politely decline invitations to ride with people who I know press on at a pace beyond my comfort zone even though their is always a coffee (luke warm) waiting for me when I catch up.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#10 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 10:18 am

the wrong side of the road or any other hazard.

P.S.: It's not the tourists that drive on the wrong side of the road.....

;)

Bjørge

#11 Nig

Nig

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 217 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 18 March 2015 - 07:12 pm

I am with JBX and Sidarta, with no apparent legitimate reason for stopping he should be pulled out of his vehicle and whipped senseless, but they are going far to fast when not knowing what is around the corner.

I certainly would,nt be travelling at those speeds around my area, tractors turning in to fields, groups of cyclists travelling 4 abreast and so on.

Aluminium Welding with Parkinson,s

#12 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

full o shoite

• 2,050 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 09:16 pm

I am with JBX and Sidarta, with no apparent legitimate reason for stopping he should be pulled out of his vehicle and whipped senseless, but they are going far to fast when not knowing what is around the corner.

I certainly would,nt be travelling at those speeds around my area, tractors turning in to fields, groups of cyclists travelling 4 abreast and so on.

It's all the rage over here, excuse the pun.

http://www.nzherald....jectid=11410612

Why I ride so cautiously.... Happened to me a few times but no contact.

http://www.stuff.co....ng-side-of-road

Is their still a good Indian restaurant in Tynemouth? Used to be a corker, best elephants lugs ever.

Oh, re wrong side of the road... When in Rome & all that. Or, do as many & drive the centre line.

In most developed places the good bike roads are also sight seeing destinations for the beige brigade so distracted driving is to be expected as are barely in control weekend racers. I had enough scares on the Hartside pass and in the Rothbury area to avoid them at weekends.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#13 Oil patch

Oil patch

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 10:56 pm

Interesting comments, thanks to all. Sure we've all had mad moments but the rider was relentless and as said he didn't position himself well for the corners missing the apex. Also, he looked to be almost out of control under heavy braking, putting his left foot out would add to instability. It's all about reaction under pressure and he could so easily been toast.

Ride safe. ;)  

#14 Nig

Nig

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 217 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 19 March 2015 - 06:59 pm

Indeed Krumpetmiester - that,ll be the Gate of India, first class lugs and Tikka masala in to the bargain.

I would love to take some ones keys from them for driving related incidents, however I fear I would have my bait well and truly put up by most of the knackas that are flying about.

Aluminium Welding with Parkinson,s

#15 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

full o shoite

• 2,050 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 11:17 am

Indeed Krumpetmiester - that,ll be the Gate of India, first class lugs and Tikka masala in to the bargain.

I would love to take some ones keys from them for driving related incidents, however I fear I would have my bait well and truly put up by most of the knackas that are flying about.

I still salivate at the thought of Bhuna prawn on puri. Never seen the like since.

I should put my previous post & links into context. Since a woman took the keys off a Chinese driver a couple of months ago the media has been milking tourist related accidents. Typically, some folk have felt empowered & imitated, even to the point of assault. We have a lot of tourists on the road and some are crap drivers and some make mistakes. Such is life. The irony in the tourist beat up is that, generally, Kiwis can't drive or ride for shit. Their is loads of hoo ha about "controlling" tourist drivers but no recognition of the poor level of driving that already exists.

The OP's vid is any road, any day. I often think despite the internet & media that in the developed world traveling is pretty safe. I've yet to see a discussion of accidents that did not happen. I guess this is one.

#16 stu

stu

full o shoite

• 2,060 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 20 March 2015 - 12:50 pm

Can't fault steve27 and his Golden Rule. Those two in the vid were both RLAC. :rolleyes:

Twat nbr 2 then stops and enquires if the driver of the car is intellectually challenged :rotflmmfao:

Stu

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users