#61 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 30 January 2016 - 09:24 am

One could argue that using yer front facing flashers would work too well, gaining other drivers attention to the point of distraction and potentially causing an accident.  For example, you're indicating whilst using yer flashing lights and drivers don't notice your indicators. Flashing lights might also be received as meaning your giving way to oncoming traffic/ a vehicle wanting to turn right.

The law's not really an ass imho, it'd be total havock on the roads if we didn't have any.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#62 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 30 January 2016 - 10:07 am

You seem to be assuming that my intention is to make something which could be used to intimidate, bully or confuse other road users, which isn't the case at all.

I didn't say there was no need for laws, we must have laws. The expression 'The law is an ass' is not a rebellious phrase as far as I understand

The law is an ass Meaning

Said of the application of the law that is contrary to common sense.

Origin

This proverbial expression is of English origin and the ass being referred to here is the English colloquial name for a donkey, not the American 'ass', which we will leave behind us at this point. Donkeys have a, somewhat unjustified, reputation for obstinance and stupidity that has given us the adjective 'asinine'. It is the stupidly rigid application of the law that this phrase calls into question.

in other words, saying the law is an ass, isn't saying it's no good, or that it would be better without it.......take for example flashing red brake lights. By law, they are illegal, yet to my knowledge the police haven't attempted to prosecute anybody when their car's rear brake lights flash under hard braking. If they did prosecute somebody then, then the law would definitely be an ass in that

situation

Would these high frequency attention grabbing lights be confused as 'on you go' signals ? I chose a particularly fast flashing sequence deliberately to avoid it being seen as such, (see the video in previous messages) and as the horn would be being sounded at the same time it would tend to get more attention. I suppose the question at the bottom of all this is if you sound your horn what are you trying to say ?

The fact that there are 9 million hearing impaired people in the UK, and that sufferers of complete deafness do not need to declare deafness as a disability to the DVLA (to drive a car or motorcycle) suggests that consideration is not given to the ability to hear someone sounding their horn. But i use my horn now and then, not to bully other drivers or vent my anger, but to notify other drivers that I'm coming - not far away from here there are farm entrances and openings around blind bends and I often give a toot because i know harvesters (if it's that time of year) or tractors can be pulling out......but I wonder if they ever hear my horn above the noise of their machinery.

Guidance considering the role of deafness in driving https://www.roaddriv...ing-impairment/

I know of deaf people who drive and it isn't a problem for them  (apart from not being able to hear) and I wouldn't deny deaf people the right to drive........

There does however seem to be a lot of blind people, and I'ld like to give them as much help as possible.

Edited by fixitsan, 30 January 2016 - 10:47 am.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#63 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 11:12 am

I'm not assuming anything.  Merely pointing out how other road users might percieve your flashing lights.  No mention of bullying or intimidation from my comments and nothing there to make you think I'm thinking that either. :dunno:

Thanks for clearing up what you meant when you said the law is an ass, I know where you're coming from now. :)

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#64 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 11:25 am

Hey no problem, your previous comment was still in my mind

"So are you gonna use this to flash peeps who are in your way ?  :unsure2:  Struggling here to think of any reason why you want front facing flashing lights other than to attract the attention of the fuzz or irritate peeps driving in front of you."

#65 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 11:44 am

Still only pointing out how others might see things.  My point being, it's all fine and dandy doing something like this but you can't just look at it from your perspective.  Yes, as a biker I can see the merits of being noticed more, but I also think you need to consider the actions/reactions of others.  Especially so when they'd be seeing something that's unusual, or that could be mistaken for meaning something else such as you flashing your headlights, which would give them a totally different message than the one intended.

#66 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 12:14 pm

I totally get your point, but then we need to consider in exactly the same way, the actions of others when you sound the horn. There is a known risk that some pedestrians freeze when crossing a road upon hearing a horn.

Maybe there are other ways ...

Edited by fixitsan, 28 February 2016 - 10:42 am.

#67 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:43 am

Rather than go for separate high brightness led's, I've integrated them into the handguards

#68 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 28 February 2016 - 01:08 pm

This worries me! ( the stuff on the front of the bike) It's too far from mainstream IMHO. I can see other road users being confused and their attention been given to "WTF? " instead of concentrating on conditions generally.
I must admit to my attention being grabbed by some pushbike lighting configurations I see...far too bright, 3 on the bike,2 on the hat, flashing, different sizes.....ahhhh! Makes distance perception nigh on impossible and holds attention for longer than is probably safe
If it's about being seen, my philosophy is, you can only allow other road users to see you, you can't make them if they're not looking!!
Pretty though....just saying....thanks for listening....
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#69 ProudViking

ProudViking

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 28 February 2016 - 01:52 pm

Its nice...and a bit...Close Encounters...Da da da da daaaa!

#70 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 02:22 pm

I agree it's too overkill. Could probably just be simplified to two white strips and no modulation except when indicating or sounding the horn.

I have plenty of experience of not being seen, even with headlight on, DRLs on and a Hi-viz jacket, so the argument that it can't make people see you is valid.

I guess it depends on the environment. .... if you're on a straight country road it isn't particularly a benefit....if in a city centre there are lots of other distracting lights....so many lights that some people concentrate so hard that they forget to look in their mirror.

Having ridden into Edinburgh 3 times this week i have to say that a Scorpion exhaust works wonders at getting attention.

#71 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 28 February 2016 - 08:36 pm

I have secondary led brakelight below the number plate with a smidsy flasher attached mot man says ok, so long as the main brake light is solid. My |Kedo led rear light is blindingly bright but you need all the help you can get.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#72 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 09:00 pm

I have flashing rears too.

The accident stats for rear end shunts are interesting in that respect, bikers have more rear end shunts during the day (we shunt others), than at night....and we're rear ended more at night than during the day.

I find when i dab the brakes the car behind backs off more often than they did before, since fitting flashing rears. I've got them at eye level, mounted to the edge of the Givi top plate...any lower and I figure they're only visible to the car immediately behind.

Edited by fixitsan, 28 February 2016 - 09:01 pm.

#73 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 04:24 pm

I've been working on something, mentioned in another thread, based on automatic brake lights which are triggered by engine braking.

Given that the brakelight is the sign we should give when we decelerate, it seems odd to think that we can use strong engine braking and not light the rear brakelight - to the point that some safety organisations suggest dabbing the rear brake when you're slowing in that way.

I've made an accelerometer based brakelight switch which integrates with the bike in the following ways...

1) it retains the existing hand and foot brake switch functionality

2) it adds engine braking brakelight activation

3) it adds a foglamp option, where the brakelight is held on at about 30% brightness to greatly improve visibility while allowing a braking signal to still be clear

4) if the brakelight hasn't been illuminated for at least ten seconds then the next activation by the hand or foot brake causes the brakelight to emit 2 quick flashes before staying on steadily. *not used with engine braking, as the engine braking activations will be relatively frequent

5) very heavy braking causes the brakelight to modulate at full brightness until the braking level recedes again

I'm going to be doing a long term trial on my bike now, and wondered if there were a couple of other people who might be interested in testing it for me. Ideally you would be a frequent use biker. Installation is simple, a red and black wire goes to a switched 12V and 0V respectively, and then a cut in the brakelamp wire itself is made, and the two new ends attach to two other wires from the box. The foglamp activation is done by switching a fifth wire to ground.

The unit is probably best located under the seat, just in front of the brakelight unit, with some double sided tape. There will be an arrow on the top of the case dictating which side should point forwards. The calibration routine is simple and should only need to be carried out once, after installation.

So, if you're able to install it and don't mind being a guinea pig, in return for getting a free unit, please let me know and I'll try to get building soon.

EDIT - I think I can make a 9er version which is completely plug and play (with the exception of the foglamp function, you still need to add a switch to set that wire to ground level.)

Edited by fixitsan, 29 April 2016 - 04:48 pm.

#74 arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 10:06 am

I've got two of these:-

http://www.ebay.co.u...kYAAOSwbwlXBK-T

One in place of old reflector and one in place of the reflector in the rear mudguard extender.

Also have a LED light bar on the bottom of my number plate, oh and the GIVI LED's in my top box, think that's plenty haha

I have fitted loads of modulators and indicator beepers over the years, not sure why I'm not a fan of modulators, perhaps its the fear of as said before confusion to others, oh and.. "oy mate yer bulb's flashin"

2012 Grey 900, Dual HIDs, Fork gaiters, Yam centre stand, Givi crash bars, S320 DRLs custom mounts, PAIR removed, Modded airbox, K&N, Warrior cans, PC3 - Custom map 81bhp @ 65ft-lb, Lambda removed, HM Quickshifter (removed), Evans waterless coolant, Hel lines, Dome SS exhaust nuts, Clear winker lenses, Yamaha +145 Screen + MRA X-creen, Heated grips with relay cut out and custom carbon mount, DL Hand Guards and milled bar ends, SW barback risers, 5w SMD LED side light, LED stop/tail reflectors, 2 x Front mudguard extenders, Custom rear under hugger, Hugger extender, Wrapped HT leads, Aux power sockets, Givi V47NN Top box with LED stop, SW motech mount, Givi PL347 mount and E21s, SW Motech Evo Tank bag, Stainless rad guard, Top Sellerie gel seat, RAM mounts for sat nav and phone, Handy tube and more.     Follow me on twitter @arthurbikemad

#75 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 01:26 pm

Nice, you'll be seen for sure once they're lit....what about when you slow down quickly under engine braking - they don't light then do they ?

If you want to try the automatic switch let me know, it can certainly drive all your red lights !

#76 arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 03:41 pm

I've had had them on for a few years, I did seal them up as for the money you can't expect them to last, but they are doing well, no harm in an extra stop and tail light, the LED light bar on my plate is BRIGHT, main reason I added it was the old topbox I had over hangs the rear and drivers in HGV etc would be hard pushed to see the rear light from an elevated position in traffic, so I thought I'd add it. Added a resistor and it functions as a stop and tail, not as flash as your system by far!

2012 Grey 900, Dual HIDs, Fork gaiters, Yam centre stand, Givi crash bars, S320 DRLs custom mounts, PAIR removed, Modded airbox, K&N, Warrior cans, PC3 - Custom map 81bhp @ 65ft-lb, Lambda removed, HM Quickshifter (removed), Evans waterless coolant, Hel lines, Dome SS exhaust nuts, Clear winker lenses, Yamaha +145 Screen + MRA X-creen, Heated grips with relay cut out and custom carbon mount, DL Hand Guards and milled bar ends, SW barback risers, 5w SMD LED side light, LED stop/tail reflectors, 2 x Front mudguard extenders, Custom rear under hugger, Hugger extender, Wrapped HT leads, Aux power sockets, Givi V47NN Top box with LED stop, SW motech mount, Givi PL347 mount and E21s, SW Motech Evo Tank bag, Stainless rad guard, Top Sellerie gel seat, RAM mounts for sat nav and phone, Handy tube and more.     Follow me on twitter @arthurbikemad

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users