#21 Doggy

Doggy

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 21 November 2010 - 07:16 am

Hi

I had my renewal through - gone up £65.99, Went on line (confused.com) my own insurance company was £100 cheaper than last year!

Rang them and they said "We can,t compete with on line deals!

I explained it was still me and the Insurance was still with them, to be told "Well cancel your postal policy and take out the on line one with us then if thats what you want to do!

I explained I would cos it will save me £160.00, to which se replied "We give our best deals to new customers"!

Why said I, did you not offer me your best price in the first place?

Dunno wa the reply.

Give me strength!!!!!!!

#22 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,438 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 21 November 2010 - 11:34 am

I've been with Aquote for the last few years. Just got my renewal through at £130 fully comp on the TDM and TPFT on the other 3 bikes so I'm happy again this year.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#23 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 31 March 2011 - 10:21 am

It's amazing how many of these stories there are when you start looking! I had a call yesterday from Mr Swinton, seemed like a nice chatty bloke, offering me amazing deals on renewal (not due for nearly a month), and coming up with £14.71 per month fully comp. Ok, says I, thanks for that, I'll get back to you. Of course when I won't commit he comes over all hard-sell (end of financial year, can't hold these prices for long etc etc) which turns me properly off!

Today, I get onto comparethemarket.com, stick in me details and lo and behold, 3rd in the list is Mr Swinton again, this time for a measly £7.96pm. Interesting...

Not 10 minutes later, the phone goes, and guess who - that's right, it's Mr Swinton asking if I was happy with the online quote I'd received and had I any questions... Naturally he was a bit stumped when I asked why the premium had halved in less than 24 hours.

I know it's an age-old story, and the free market means everyone's after as much business as they can, but this takes the piss. This is why, every year, I do the comparison thing and get the best deal.

Nothing'll ever change just 'cos I'm ranting about it, but I needed to get that off my chest!

<and relax>

1996 TDM850 in Yellow, Motad Nexxus, MK1 bashplate, Acerbis handguards, K&N, Xenons, Aux lamps, Bluespot calipers, Renthal 755 bars, DIY panniers, JBX-inspired gear indicator.  (Currently not on the road.)

Bikes wot I have had and dun't have any more: 1983 Honda CB125TDC, 1976 Kawasaki S1C (early KH250 stroker triple), 1986 Honda VF500F2, 1992 Kawasaki KLE500.

#24 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,211 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 31 March 2011 - 07:36 pm

I feel yer pain Daniel !

I recently got my insurance with Swinton. I also got a follow up call within 24hrs of getting the initial quote. I just told him to give me a chance to compare with other quotes and put the the phone down smile.gif 24hrs later and he's back on the phone. anyhoos, ended up going ferrit as the price was good for the cover.
24hrs later, yep, on the phone AGAIN ! I then plumbed for the breakdown cover at £4.99 a month which you only have to pay for on a month by month basis and the first 3 months are free ! If you wnt cover for Euro travel, give 'em a ring and for an extra quid they'll provide the cover.
He also offered me personal protection cover and personal protection whilst on a bike cover which I said I'd consider.
2 days later I'd got 4 DD's set up on my bank account and 3 letters from Swintons ranting.gif
Then I spent 30 mins on the phone cancelling the ferkin covers. Fookin' relentless aren't they ?

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#25 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• 1,775 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 31 March 2011 - 07:43 pm

Read the small print on the breakdown cover, Studders. Most will only cover up to the market value of the bike if out of the country and may only include local recovery and roadside assistance for that money. You'll almost always end up getting a better cover by dealing direct with the breakdown companies.

I hate insurance companies with a passion - bloody rip off merchants. That said, my TDM cost me under £90 full comp (full ncd)last year and the Guzzi £160 (with no ncd) full comp.

2004 Galaxy Blue. Owned since 486 miles.Renthal 755 bars, Bagster tank cover, Oxford heated grips, DL650 hand guards, Double Bubble screen, Scorpion Rad guard, Gel pad insert, HLD undertray, Angry Badger tailtidy,  Michelin Road 5s, Givi E21s, E46 topbox, Ohlins shock and YSS cartridge emulators   Currently not fitted - PC3, Remus Revolutions.

LCErj.jpg

Putting up with the "niner" jokes since 2005
Check out http://www.hotcoldground.co.uk we're really rather good!
Like food? I feed people -  SmokinGrillGuy <p>

#26 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,211 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:16 pm

Yeah , I'm aware o that cheers Trev smile.gif I'm hoping me mk2a is worth a bit more than me mk1 wan wan was rolleyes.gif

I've curranty got homestart and breakdown inc. replacement vehicle if oi need wan.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#27 crispy

crispy

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 212 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 01 April 2011 - 06:32 pm

I just renewed with Adelaide this week.......you guys better stop complaining......€435 fully comp and then another €33 to protect my 9 years NCB.....

I'm 41 and the bike is garaged....

The worst I ever paid was in 1995.......£2600 for a 1985 BMWK100RS as a courier.....We've always been stung in Southern Ireland.

And the most expensive quote i got thsi year was with AON, just under €700.

Have a good weekend while i go and work my second job to keep wheels under me.....
I don't like YZ250's anymore.........check out my avatar, one literally kicked me in the ass

#28 Kang

Kang

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 08:54 pm

QUOTE(crispy @ Fri 1st Apr 2011, 07:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just renewed with Adelaide this week.......you guys better stop complaining......€435 fully comp and then another €33 to protect my 9 years NCB.....

I'm 41 and the bike is garaged....

The worst I ever paid was in 1995.......£2600 for a 1985 BMWK100RS as a courier.....We've always been stung in Southern Ireland.

And the most expensive quote i got thsi year was with AON, just under €700.

Have a good weekend while i go and work my second job to keep wheels under me.....

Right on Crispy. Paying €400 myself on 8 years NCB 36years. Was €400 last year too, I asked why no drop and they said gov levey and i was lucky to get that price.
It takes Two to Lie Marge, One to Lie and One to Listen

#29 danceswithmopeds

danceswithmopeds

full o shoite

• 2,425 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 02 April 2011 - 10:58 pm

€240, fully comp from Adelaide. No breakdown as mine is 10+ years old.

#30 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,511 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:07 pm

I have the complication of a claim for pothole damage to the car. That claim has sent the bike premium awry: seems I shall lose two years NCB. Still trying to get MCE to do their bit for me while doing the rounds elsewhere. I'd love to believe that the County Council will pay up and I can cancel my claim; I am not hopeful though.
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#31 jht

jht

has been here 4ever

• 1,769 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:21 pm

Looking at insurance costs as getting in saddle again after 2 yr, had mentally factored around £400
So quick online quotes
GoCompare only 2 quotes fully comp, no cover for clothing, legal expense, breakdown or personal accident huh.gif
£122 or £134
No one else would quote due to bike mods... that'll be top box, shock & exhaust dry.gif

Aunty Carole £191 including legal, breakdown, personal accident & clothing

No brainer then, Aunty Carole wins... again! rolleyes.gif
Done: Homo sap navigation/ twisty thing on bars to make it go vroom/ grabby thing to make it stop (in front of twisty thing)/ 'leccy things front and rear to make it glow at night/ Sucky + drippy oiler thing to keep chains moist (!!) / Laser Pro Stock Race pipes / bleeding ear drums (see previous mod)
To do: Educate homo sap nav system to operate twisty + grabby things/ get ear plugs

All Trashed Now... Pants... its a Cat B Mwahahaha it lives again!!

Remember every driver is a deaf myoptic twat who is out to kill you, ALWAYS assume they are going to do THE most f*cking DUMBASS, STUPID manouver possible, at the worst possible moment; get past, and get past quick

#32 MattG

MattG

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 108 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:59 pm

QUOTE(Epirb @ Sun 22nd Nov 2009, 09:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ebike do me a decent deal. But then I can't stand shopping around for weeks.

Anyone else find them good?

'pirb.

Yep, three bikes, one kept at a different address, with commuting...... £185 fully comp with legal and breakdown! Getting old does have a few compensations!

#33 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,113 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:05 pm

QUOTE(jht @ Mon 11th Apr 2011, 07:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No brainer

I wouldn't declare that.....yer quote might go up....I accidentally mentioned it to mine and they wanted an extra £18.50.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#34 jht

jht

has been here 4ever

• 1,769 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:29 pm

Hmm aint tried ebike, may have give them a go too

Wont mention the grey brain matter slowly oozimg out me ear tho! laugh.gif
Done: Homo sap navigation/ twisty thing on bars to make it go vroom/ grabby thing to make it stop (in front of twisty thing)/ 'leccy things front and rear to make it glow at night/ Sucky + drippy oiler thing to keep chains moist (!!) / Laser Pro Stock Race pipes / bleeding ear drums (see previous mod)
To do: Educate homo sap nav system to operate twisty + grabby things/ get ear plugs

Remember every driver is a deaf myoptic twat who is out to kill you, ALWAYS assume they are going to do THE most f*cking DUMBASS, STUPID manouver possible, at the worst possible moment; get past, and get past quick

#35 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,211 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 11:43 am

I'm surprised if you didn't lose any no claims discount/bonus, after not having insurance for 2 years jht.
I lost 7yrs NCB on my car licence for that very reason dry.gif Some are losing their NCB after only 1 year !

#36 jht

jht

has been here 4ever

• 1,769 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 02:38 pm

QUOTE(Studley Ramrod @ Tue 12th Apr 2011, 12:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm surprised if you didn't lose any no claims discount/bonus, after not having insurance for 2 years jht.
I lost 7yrs NCB on my car licence for that very reason dry.gif Some are losing their NCB after only 1 year !

Yeah made that mistake after 4yrs off years ago, lost 12 yrs no claims dry.gif
Was with Carole b4, ins ran out mid 2009, so could be ok (fingers crossed)
Old boss at 1st bike shop I worked at years ago bought an old C90 off punter, as he didnt always ride he kept C90 insured all time so didnt loose NCB

#37 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:19 pm

WTF has happened to insurance quotes this yearm renewal is up from £520 to £684 as EquityRedStar dont do business mileage cover anymore
so i rings around & cheapest other quote i got with same extras as Auntie CarolNash gives as standard is over £900!!!
Bennetts wouldnt even give me a quote, went thru all the details and was then told "ohh, you have over 3mods on the bike, we cant insure that"
more like over30 and you could have told me about that change off policy before i went through my life history with you....knut!
looks like i gotta phone Auntie Carol back in the morning and just suck up the extra £160...bugger sad.gif

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#38 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• 1,775 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:26 pm

That's part of the reason I've got separate policies for each bike. The Guzzi is much more modified than the niner and it's much easier to get online quotes for the niner. Just renewed mine and paid £86 thanks to good old go compare, but I don't do commuting or business with it.

2004 Galaxy Blue. Owned since 486 miles.Renthal 755 bars, Bagster tank cover, Oxford heated grips, DL650 hand guards, Double Bubble screen, Scorpion Rad guard, Gel pad insert, HLD undertray, Angry Badger tailtidy,  Michelin Road 5s, Givi E21s, E46 topbox, Ohlins shock and YSS cartridge emulators   Currently not fitted - PC3, Remus Revolutions.

LCErj.jpg

Putting up with the "niner" jokes since 2005
Check out http://www.hotcoldground.co.uk we're really rather good!
Like food? I feed people -  SmokinGrillGuy <p>

#39 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,211 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 03:48 pm

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Fri 15th Jul 2011, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
WTF has happened to insurance quotes this yearm renewal is up from £520 to £684 as EquityRedStar dont do business mileage cover anymore
so i rings around & cheapest other quote i got with same extras as Auntie CarolNash gives as standard is over £900!!!
Bennetts wouldnt even give me a quote, went thru all the details and was then told "ohh, you have over 3mods on the bike, we cant insure that"
more like over30 and you could have told me about that change off policy before i went through my life history with you....knut!
looks like i gotta phone Auntie Carol back in the morning and just suck up the extra £160...bugger sad.gif

Sidey uses his old Suzuki as his main bike with classic insurance and adds the other bikes to the policy, or summat like that. Reckons it keeps his costs down.
Just wondering if you could do similar with yer mk1 as it might be classic status now dunno.gif

A 30+% increase in premiums is a blatant rip-off, whichever way you look at it.

#40 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,113 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 16 July 2011 - 04:21 pm

At least part of the problem is the lovely blame culture we live in. No one has an accident anymore...someone has to be blamed and made to pay...that would be us then. That and a dollop of greedyness (which is somewhat the same thing).

"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users