24 replies to this topic

#1 Bobos

Bobos

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:28 pm

I've noticed before when coming back from European jaunts that the state of driving in our wonderful country is leagues behind that on the continent. Now I've done it for the first time on two wheels the difference is even more accentuated. Having just spent a blindingly good weekend in France experiencing alert, courteous, patient driving; having people wave to you as you pass; seeing an old boy shake AliG's hand when we pulled up in Porcaro; drivers deliberately pulling over so that you can pass where you otherwise wouldn't be able to etc. etc. it feels so depressing to return to the chaos and naked aggression of our roads.

Today I've been cut up twice on my way in to work and to top the day off after thanking a driver for pulling in to let me overtake, said driver seems to take offence at my gesture of thanks, tailgates me for a few miles and then after I brake to slow down for a corner - resulting in avoidance manoeuvres from him - he UNDERTAKES me on a single carriageway A road forcing me into the other lane! At the next lights he's out of the car and shouting at me! All because I took the time to thank him! After the lights I got myself as many cars ahead of the fucktard as I could.

Didn't even get the registration I was that stressed out by the whole thing.

Something is seriously wrong, when trying to ride defensively feels like the most aggressive thing you can get involved in.

Fuck this countries drivers. Fuck 'em right up the arse! uhmyeah.gif
We're all going to die, so let's be nice.

#2 Onanist

Onanist

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:03 pm

Actually the best thing I have ever done in all my years of biking happened around a month ago.
I bought one of those Aldi jackets that were on offer around that time, the fluorescent one.

Cars actually slow down and pull over to let me pass. A guy on a pocket rocket hurtling along the road obviously checked his mirrors an panicked, as he just about emergency stopped to get back within the speed limit, allowing me to sail past.

I would just like to state that I am not intentionally impersonating a police officer laugh.gif

Just wish someone had mentioned it years ago for my daily commute to and from work, life is now so much more less stressful.
My life in bikes (with the random oddity) Made it to 48 with no car licence : Yamaha DT50M, Yamaha RD250E, Honda Melody (stupid law changes), Honda NS125F, Yamaha FZ600, Yamaha TDM850 MKI, CZ 125, GSXR1100WP, Aprilia RS250, Yamaha TDM850 MKII, Yamaha YZF750, Honda FT500, Reliant Rialto, Suzuki DR250, Suzuki DR650, Sukida 200, Yamaha Thunderace, Yamaha TDM900 2003, Yamaha TDM850 MKI, Triumph Tiger 1050, Triumph Tiger Explorer

#3 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,103 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:06 pm

QUOTE(Onanist @ Wed 13th Apr 2011, 04:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would just like to state that I am not intentionally impersonating a police officer laugh.gif

Unfortunately the police around here are still riding Harley-Davidson's and there are some things I just will not do.
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#4 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:07 pm

QUOTE(tdm850rider @ Wed 13th Apr 2011, 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unfortunately the police around here are still riding Harley-Davidson's and there are some things I just will not do.

how the feck do they expect to catch any crims on those? dunno.gif

laugh.gif

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#5 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:17 pm

QUOTE(Onanist @ Wed 13th Apr 2011, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually the best thing I have ever done in all my years of biking happened around a month ago.
I bought one of those Aldi jackets that were on offer around that time, the fluorescent one.

Cars actually slow down and pull over to let me pass. A guy on a pocket rocket hurtling along the road obviously checked his mirrors an panicked, as he just about emergency stopped to get back within the speed limit, allowing me to sail past.

Just wish someone had mentioned it years ago for my daily commute to and from work, life is now so much more less stressful.

Try it along with a white helmet and bike...... attention.gif I can cut a path down the M4 morning traffic with ease.

What struck me in France was (apart from one) the road quality. Smooth and effortless. Get back to Berkshire and the potholes, bumps shit re-surfacing hits home hard.
Thank you to our Goverment's who take our road tax and then ignore it. Bastards

#6 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:10 am

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Wed 13th Apr 2011, 04:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
how the feck do they expect to catch any crims on those? dunno.gif
laugh.gif

Mostly seem to use them for traffic control and getting through gridlock to the scene of accidents etc.

(Lots of tunnels around here and a patrol car can't get through if there is an accident in one.)
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#7 aircooled68

aircooled68

RTT11 Wales manager

• 1,581 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:31 am

QUOTE(Bobos @ Wed 13th Apr 2011, 08:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

wifgeni.gif

202323336-M.jpgpost-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#8 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• 1,444 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 14 April 2011 - 11:08 am

QUOTE(CatsBum @ Wed 13th Apr 2011, 09:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Try it along with a white helmet and bike...... attention.gif I can cut a path down the M4 morning traffic with ease.

What struck me in France was (apart from one) the road quality. Smooth and effortless. Get back to Berkshire and the potholes, bumps shit re-surfacing hits home hard.
Thank you to our Goverment's who take our road tax and then ignore it. Bastards

I agree. I commute with a yellow jacket and white helmet. It definitely helps.
Ali

2004 900 - Blue with lots of goodies

2012 900 - Still adding shiny bits. Was black, changed to white and now back to black again.

#9 crispy

crispy

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 212 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:00 pm

QUOTE(tdm850rider @ Wed 13th Apr 2011, 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Looks like we have just got Harley Ambulances in Ireland.....

http://www.irishbike...es/page__st__60

Suppose with the rider training they will be able to filter in a hurry but wouldn't fancy having to stop one or do a tight turning circle in a hurry.....
I don't like YZ250's anymore.........check out my avatar, one literally kicked me in the ass

#10 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:01 pm

[quote name='Bobos' date='Wed 13th Apr 2011, 08:28 PM' post='202742']
I've noticed before when coming back from European jaunts that the state of driving in our wonderful country is leagues behind that on the continent. Now I've done it for the first time on two wheels the difference is even more accentuated.

Yeah continental driving types are generally more switched on to bikes, although Romania & Bulgaria need a few pointers. The big difference is lane etiquette - the continentals have us beat hands down on this BUT lane hogging is defo on the increase in Europe.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#11 Bobos

Bobos

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:03 pm

I used to wear hi-viz all the time... until I got hit in a typical SMIDSY. I came to the conclusion that hi-viz is just another colour block to break up your outline.

Proof that bright contrasting colours confuse your outline and make you harder to spot..? Ever heard of dazzle paint that the Navy used during WW1 & 2?

http://en.wikipedia....zzle_camouflage

Watch out for them, 'cos they won't be watching for or even see you.

We're all going to die, so let's be nice.

#12 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:25 pm

QUOTE(Bobos @ Thu 14th Apr 2011, 08:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I used to wear hi-viz all the time... until I got hit in a typical SMIDSY. I came to the conclusion that hi-viz is just another colour block to break up your outline.

Proof that bright contrasting colours confuse your outline and make you harder to spot..? Ever heard of dazzle paint that the Navy used during WW1 & 2?

http://en.wikipedia....zzle_camouflage

Watch out for them, 'cos they won't be watching for or even see you.

I agree even though my experiences seem (non-scientific) to bear out the opposite. When I rode to work on a white BMW boxer with white fairing and wearing my white Bell helmet (OK, ok) but no hi-vis (there was no such thing and TV went off in the afternoon), the number of folk pulling out (flashers maybe?) appeared to decrease and those moving aside seemed to increase. However since my teens/twenties less folk have threatened my life and this maybe down to me anticipating what drivers will do and trying to see things from their point of view cars, trucks, buses. All in favour of folk wearing hi vis if they think it helps, I'm a believer in showing reflective bits (no not mine).

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#13 aircooled68

aircooled68

RTT11 Wales manager

• 1,581 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 06:44 pm

Seen someone selling these at egg run last week.... http://www.horseboxa...10658498418.htm

202323336-M.jpgpost-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#14 jim850wav

jim850wav

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 23 April 2011 - 07:24 pm

QUOTE(aircooled68 @ Sat 23rd Apr 2011, 07:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seen someone selling these at egg run last week.... http://www.horseboxa...10658498418.htm

Have to admit I would wear one of these on a Sunday morning just for the piss if it clapping.gif
Slightly beat up Mk1 but still going

#15 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 08:49 pm

QUOTE(aircooled68 @ Sat 23rd Apr 2011, 07:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If i needed to wear one then this would be the one,,,,definatley designed to be misread

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#16 darkhorse

darkhorse

discovering Carpe

• 11 posts
  • TDM model: 1995

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:20 pm

QUOTE(dablik @ Sat 23rd Apr 2011, 09:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If i needed to wear one then this would be the one,,,,definatley designed to be misread

I will never wear a hi-viz. Takes the responsibility off of the moron in the car/van. If too many of us take to wearing the damn things, the pratts at the top will make it compulsory.

#17 danceswithmopeds

danceswithmopeds

full o shoite

• 2,425 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:46 pm

Last collision I was in, I was wearing short sleeve orange over long sleeve yellow Hi-viz jackets. Both brand new, clean.
2x55W driving lights and 1x HID.
Clown in little (left hand drive)FIAT decided to move into my lane without bothering to look.
I knew he was there from the thump,thump, thump of his music blasting out.(I'm wearing ear plugs)

By the way I don't usually dress like that, I was dropping them off.

#18 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• 1,627 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:02 am

QUOTE(Bobos @ Wed 13th Apr 2011, 08:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ride a 900 do we?

#19 3vd

3vd

PM Sent

• 2,665 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:55 am

Out riding with a mate, him in High Vis, me in black. I notice a BMW about to pull out from the left, I think, bet the twat doesn't look, he doesn't and pulls out straight in front of Dave wearing the High Vis. So as much as it may be more noticable, if they don't look they aint going to see you!

I prefer not to wear high vis clothing as I hate the whole nanny state fucking shite.

#20 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:49 pm

Try riding in Italy assuming no-one wanders off with yer bike when it's parked up... Pause to look for traffic coming at a T junction and you get horn honking a a barrage of some Italian verbage. In the cities it's much worse. dry.gif - maybe they just don't like Jap bikes?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users