14 replies to this topic

#1 doboy

doboy

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 259 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:29 pm

got back from a trip to france and opened my insurance renewal from bennets ...last year it was £ 260 multi bike policy ..my renewal was a staggering £898 and they also stated they were going to renew it automatically using my credit card ....i went ape ? got on the phone calling them all the sneaky underhanded swines ..they were hoping i wouldnt take much notice and just renew it ....i not only told them i was not renewing it but they were on no  account to take any money out on my credit card without my say so ...and that i would never deal with them again .....so watch your renewals they will try and scam you ?..

Edited by doboy, 10 September 2013 - 07:38 am.

#2 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:40 pm

Standard Bennetts procedure if you've submitted your card details.

Everyone should be on their guard at insurance renewal time.

I treat motor insurance more as a "permit to drive" rather than a safety net and go third party all the way. £45 and keep the change you dirty...........

#3 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 2,973 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:43 pm

Yeah, I have trouble with companies before playing fast and loose with my debit card details. What I'd say is keep checking your account, they may still try and take the money.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#4 Pantboy

Pantboy

850 going for 900

• 890 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:57 pm

i'd hardly call it a scam, they have been using continuous authority for years, if you bothered to read every word of the T's & C's it is in there somewhere so you agreed to it, if it concerns you so much it only takes a phone call to customer services to have it removed, but I assure you that the new policy you take out will also probably have it too.

#5 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• 1,627 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:25 pm

i'd hardly call it a scam, they have been using continuous authority for years, if you bothered to read every word of the T's & C's it is in there somewhere so you agreed to it, if it concerns you so much it only takes a phone call to customer services to have it removed, but I assure you that the new policy you take out will also probably have it too.

Agree.

That's what the comparethemarket merry-go-round is for though, isn't it?

#6 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:31 pm

........see my previous (may '13)

http://www.carpe-tdm...848&qpid=273632

Jiff.

#7 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:42 pm

I've personally (to date!!) not had problems. I get a letter 4 weeks in advance with the option to stay or tell them otherwise. My mum however wasn't so lucky. Swinton took the money out of her bank account and then a week or so later sent a letter thanking her for renewing and that it would cost her to cancel note no letter giving her the option. That scum bag company name again - SWINTON - ba5tards!!!!!

#8 doboy

doboy

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:47 am

to follow up on this story ....yesteday i got my multi bike insurance from carol nash fully comp for 3 bikes [ one new ] with everything in for £324 ...a far cry from "£898"

#9 drumwrecker

drumwrecker

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:01 pm

You can opt out of automatic renewal if you wish.
Their argument is it covers if you forget and become uninsured so it keeps you on risk.
Of course it also ensured you are committed for another year with their price hike included and you have missed the opportunity to barter with them.
I also think there may be a up to a week to back out of the deal but I'm not really sure about that.
1953 BSA Bantam, 1960 Ariel Arrow, 1948 Vincent Rapide, 1959 Matchless G11, AJS 250CSR, 1986 BMW K75s, Suzuki 1999 GS500E, 2002 Suzuki SV650, 1991 VFR750 FL, 2007 TDM900

#10 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,973 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:53 pm

I just took a policy out with Swinton for £54 with cashback, which was a damn sight better than ebike could quote, and didn't see any reference to continuous authority. Mind you I paid online, don't know if that makes a difference.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

#11 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• 3,830 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:06 pm

I just took a policy out with Swinton for £54 with cashback, which was a damn sight better than ebike could quote, and didn't see any reference to continuous authority. Mind you I paid online, don't know if that makes a difference.

I got my cashback taken off before payment, after all whats the difference?  :)

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
Who dies with the most toys wins!

2010 'stealth' grey 900. '14 plate. engine bars, Centre stand, datatool alarm, datatag, E22s, Cree DRLs, Barkbuster handguards, Carpe sticker. Led running lights

#12 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,973 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:07 pm

I got my cashback taken off before payment, after all whats the difference?  :)

I've got to wait 90 days for mine and the offer can be revoked at any time. Seems like a right hand giveth and the left taketh away ruse, we'll see. Still even if i have to pay £84, it's nearly £40 better than eBike wanted for renewal.

#13 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:55 pm

I find Carole Nash pretty good, but they can take the piss a bit as well - I always ring them to haggle at renewal time, threatening to take my custom elswhere

Last month my renewal came in at £473 ....fully comp for errrrr 10 bikes ......I questioned that, as I'd sold one to Waspy earlier this year, so we went through them all & still got 10 !   :unsure2:  .......Dunno how that happened !

Anyway , we ended up at £435 in the end, much the same as last year, so £43.50 per bike fully comp isn't too bad IMO  :good:

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#14 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• 3,830 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:18 pm

I've got to wait 90 days for mine and the offer can be revoked at any time. Seems like a right hand giveth and the left taketh away ruse, we'll see. Still even if i have to pay £84, it's nearly £40 better than eBike wanted for renewal.

They said that to me, so I had a larf and said why not just take it off the price, or I'll walk, they agreed.

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
Who dies with the most toys wins!

2010 'stealth' grey 900. '14 plate. engine bars, Centre stand, datatool alarm, datatag, E22s, Cree DRLs, Barkbuster handguards, Carpe sticker. Led running lights

#15 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,973 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:12 am

They said that to me, so I had a larf and said why not just take it off the price, or I'll walk, they agreed.

Just got of the phone to one of their customer service girls.
Me: I want to know where I need to send proof of NCB
Her: Oh, eBike they can be very bad at giving us the evidence
Me: I've got the evidence. I have renewal notices, NCB years are on them.
Her: OK, erm, you might need to cancel your policy with eBike or they may refuse to give us evidence of your NCB
Me: Why would I want to cancel my policy? That would leave me uninsured until my policy with Swinton starts. As I've said, I already have the evidence, so where do I send it?
Her: Erm, Ok, that's fine. Obviously we'll contact eBike and try and get the information.
Me: Listen, I don't want to find out that you didn't get proof of NCB within the 7 days and then charge me when I'm telling you I can send the proof.
yada, yada, yada.

It's like talking to a different species. I've got a horrible feeling I'm going to regret using Swinton.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users