#1 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,913 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:33 am

Well can't say I'm impressed. Bought these 2 years, 4 months ago, after 11 months the right boot started leaking. I returned them to the supplier, Ghostbikes in Preston, who were very helpful and after a month of waiting, Sidi replaced them free of charge, saying the waterproof membrane wasn't fitted properly during manufacture. So these boots are actually only 16 months old and the left boot started leaking on this morning's 40 minutes commute in torrential rain. I don't think there's much hope of any comeback with the manufacturers, but I shall try anyway.  :rant:

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#2 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:41 am

I used to have the standard Black Rains, and dound that as the leather of the toe protrudes out over the sole, it would scuff on the ground as I walked. The started leaking from the toes when about 2 years old so I'm convinced it was due to damage there.

My HG Ralyee boots have a much better sole and are still waterproof in their 4th year.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#3 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:46 am

I don't think there's much hope of any comeback with the manufacturers, but I shall try anyway. 

There should be, not a cheap disposable item.  Reasonable expected survival would be longer than 16months.

I gave oop with posh boike boots yonks ago and shaved the mold off me 20year old motocross boots, they is indestructable.

"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#4 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:34 pm

Used Sidi rains fur yrs an never leaked until they wur 8-9 yrs old (riding Durham to Farnborough), so complain about em.  When they did begin to leak, I still used with Gore-tex boot socks in summer - no use fur winter though as toes turn to ice. Using Dainese Gore-tex booties at the mo - yet to be put to a 500km downpour test.

Edited by Favs, 23 October 2013 - 01:35 pm.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#5 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:56 pm

I used to have the standard Black Rains, and dound that as the leather of the toe protrudes out over the sole, it would scuff on the ground as I walked.

Yeah, the sole seems to almost blend in with the toe and mine are scuffed badly there, but other than that they've been a good boot and not leaked since I've had them. I wouldn't buy another pair though.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#6 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:02 pm

well i would, but only if they were as cheap as the ones i have and had one lady owner

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#7 arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:09 pm

I have a pair and find them very good, only problem I have is they tend to be a little cold in the heart of winter, I decided sod it last year as my feet were froze so I got a pair of Daytona Travel star pros the cost a lot at 400 quid but sod it, they are truly the best boots money can buy IMO and they last years and years you can get soles changed and or have the boots refreshed with Daytona when ever you like designed to be worn all day every day, used by police etc etc. Love them, my rains only get used now and then since I got them.
2012 Grey 900, Dual HIDs, Fork gaiters, Yam centre stand, Givi crash bars, S320 DRLs custom mounts, PAIR removed, Modded airbox, K&N, Warrior cans, PC3 - Custom map 81bhp @ 65ft-lb, Lambda removed, HM Quickshifter (removed), Evans waterless coolant, Hel lines, Dome SS exhaust nuts, Clear winker lenses, Yamaha +145 Screen + MRA X-creen, Heated grips with relay cut out and custom carbon mount, DL Hand Guards and milled bar ends, SW barback risers, 5w SMD LED side light, LED stop/tail reflectors, 2 x Front mudguard extenders, Custom rear under hugger, Hugger extender, Wrapped HT leads, Aux power sockets, Givi V47NN Top box with LED stop, SW motech mount, Givi PL347 mount and E21s, SW Motech Evo Tank bag, Stainless rad guard, Top Sellerie gel seat, RAM mounts for sat nav and phone, Handy tube and more.     Follow me on twitter @arthurbikemad

#8 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:16 pm

Wellies work fine for me  :)

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#9 arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:50 pm

Used to ware them for years, three pairs of socks, two plastic bags, job done....lol
2012 Grey 900, Dual HIDs, Fork gaiters, Yam centre stand, Givi crash bars, S320 DRLs custom mounts, PAIR removed, Modded airbox, K&N, Warrior cans, PC3 - Custom map 81bhp @ 65ft-lb, Lambda removed, HM Quickshifter (removed), Evans waterless coolant, Hel lines, Dome SS exhaust nuts, Clear winker lenses, Yamaha +145 Screen + MRA X-creen, Heated grips with relay cut out and custom carbon mount, DL Hand Guards and milled bar ends, SW barback risers, 5w SMD LED side light, LED stop/tail reflectors, 2 x Front mudguard extenders, Custom rear under hugger, Hugger extender, Wrapped HT leads, Aux power sockets, Givi V47NN Top box with LED stop, SW motech mount, Givi PL347 mount and E21s, SW Motech Evo Tank bag, Stainless rad guard, Top Sellerie gel seat, RAM mounts for sat nav and phone, Handy tube and more.     Follow me on twitter @arthurbikemad

#10 Muppdog

Muppdog

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 292 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:30 pm

Hi All,

I got my first pair 7 years ago and they never leaked and were very comfy too. After a little mishap they ended up with holes in them. ( A new puppy!) So I got a new pair 2 years ago. But these are just not the same. The shape is different, narrower, and in heavy rain the right boot would leak slightly. Never bothered me too much until it got colder. The older ones were much better.

Now use a pair of Daytonas. Fabulous!!

Rob

#11 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:31 pm

Used to ware them for years, three pairs of socks, two plastic bags, job done....lol

:lol: Did you really Arthur !! i was just goofin to be honest, also have a pair of Daytonas so i'm dry.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#12 arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:37 pm

I did mate I shed you not....lol

I was 17 at the time and used to ride my GS125 from Farnham to Portsmouth and back each day for thee years, it was the first time I had tears freeze on my face! had an old Centurion crash helmet, builders gloves as many jackets and jumpers as I could find, yellow road repair style waterproof bottoms my wellys and plastic bags to keep my feet dry, surprising how warm the bags made them, even use to stuff a new paper down the front of my coat ready for 6am off in the winter, used to crash the old thing on ice two or three times a year...lol Funny the things you do for a bird...lol

Edited by arthurbikemad, 23 October 2013 - 08:38 pm.

#13 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:02 am

I did mate I shed you not....lol

I was 17 at the time and used to ride my GS125 from Farnham to Portsmouth and back each day for thee years, it was the first time I had tears freeze on my face! had an old Centurion crash helmet, builders gloves as many jackets and jumpers as I could find, yellow road repair style waterproof bottoms my wellys and plastic bags to keep my feet dry, surprising how warm the bags made them, even use to stuff a new paper down the front of my coat ready for 6am off in the winter, used to crash the old thing on ice two or three times a year...lol Funny the things you do for a bird...lol

Ah, the good old days!

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#14 Limbo

Limbo

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:31 pm

For 5 years I've Daytona boots and never wet or cold feet.
The boots are waterproof absulut. After only 5 years, a sole was pestered.
For the price range of cheap motorcycle boots made ​​me the producer new soles on the shoes. Now the shoes are like new again.
I do not run much with the Daytonas. use it only on the bike. The sole broke in the place of the passenger footrests.
Other boots with which I lead the dog through the woods a lot, I have 30 years and the soles are still good.

Limbo
without stockings and shoes I can count up to twenty wonderful

#15 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:16 pm

I agree - my Daytonas are bloody brilliant - 5 years now & absolutely waterproof - but they aren't cheap

For  under £200 though - you can get Dainese Goretex tour boots that are very good - had a pair fer 2 years now & no water ingress - very comfy as well, especially if you have short fat legs like me 

http://www.fc-moto.d...e-Tex-Boot-0008

Edited by sidestand, 07 November 2013 - 11:17 pm.

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#16 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:15 am

I,ve had the black rains for about 3 years now. Must be one of the unlucky ones coz they've let in at the toes from the first real good soaking. Should have taken them back but got them from Demon Tweeks (on impulse) and just CBA'd. They're a really narrow fit as well, so feet get and stay cold in winter. I wear the rains in summer, but have got some SPIDI (I think) Gortex with enough room for big socks in winter. Upshot is....check the fit, recent boots seem better than older models....good luck.
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users