Photo

Rear wheel bearings

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_celticbiker_*

Guest_celticbiker_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2008 - 11:19 am

This is the info from the KOYO website for 6028 2rs bearings, they seem to be saying that they are 33mm wide and 210mm o/s

[attachment=741:010_1.jpg]
Bearing No. 60282RS
Boundary dimensions(mm)
d 140
D 210
B 33

r(min) 2
Basic load ratings(kN) Cr 110
C0r 109
factor f0 15.9
Limiting speed(min-1) Grease lub. 1800
Mounting dimensions(mm) da(min) 149
da(max) 158.5
Da(max) 201
ra(max) 2
(Refer.)Mass(Open type)(kg) 3.55

Think I'm gonna bite the bullet and get one from the dealers and then get it matched
CB

#42 Guest_GuyGraham_*

Guest_GuyGraham_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2008 - 12:32 pm

QUOTE(celticbiker @ Thu 14th Feb 2008, 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is the info from the KOYO website for 6028 2rs bearings, they seem to be saying that they are 33mm wide and 210mm o/s

[attachment=741:010_1.jpg]
Bearing No. 60282RS
Boundary dimensions(mm)
d 140
D 210
B 33

r(min) 2
Basic load ratings(kN) Cr 110
C0r 109
factor f0 15.9
Limiting speed(min-1) Grease lub. 1800
Mounting dimensions(mm) da(min) 149
da(max) 158.5
Da(max) 201
ra(max) 2
(Refer.)Mass(Open type)(kg) 3.55

Think I'm gonna bite the bullet and get one from the dealers and then get it matched
CB

6028 is a different beast to to what I said it was which is a 60/28

QUOTE(Galilee @ Thu 14th Feb 2008, 10:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Measure the bearing and buy SKF.

I'm sure you'll find a local dealer on their webpage.

Not all bearings are available from the local bearing factor or manufacturer, which what this thread revolves around

the manufacturers use 'specials' to force you to but them from them at highly inflated prices

Edited by GuyGraham, 14 February 2008 - 12:54 pm.

#43 Guest_celticbiker_*

Guest_celticbiker_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2008 - 07:24 pm

Update,
Went and got one from the stealers the other day for a grand total of £17.
Went to the local bearing suppliers( Anti friction components( Wales)) today to get it matched.
Reply was "Yes sir, no problem, we always carry about 50 in stock because it's a common bearing and we sell loads of them".
Total cost was £9.30 inc VAT.
The only difference was that the inner ring that the wheel spindle goes through is slightly thicker than the OEM one( was gonna take a picture but forgot), I asked the counter guy about it but he said that because it is the same bearing in every other aspect(inc pat number) that it has the same load rating and specification as the original.
Anyway, all that said, I changed both bearings but only one of them actualy need doing, the other one is still like new.
So if anyone out there who does'nt do as many miles as me(30000 a year) finds they are in need of a rear wheel bearing, then I've got one you can have that should be good for at least 10000 miles.
Just let me know and I'll drop it in the post.
CB

Edited by celticbiker, 06 March 2008 - 07:27 pm.

#44 Guest_GuyGraham_*

Guest_GuyGraham_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2008 - 07:35 pm

QUOTE(celticbiker @ Thu 6th Mar 2008, 07:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Update,
Went and got one from the stealers the other day for a grand total of £17.
Went to the local bearing suppliers( Anti friction components( Wales)) today to get it matched.
Reply was "Yes sir, no problem, we always carry about 50 in stock because it's a common bearing and we sell loads of them".
Total cost was £9.30 inc VAT.
The only difference was that the inner ring that the wheel spindle goes through is slightly thicker than the OEM one( was gonna take a picture but forgot), I asked the counter guy about it but he said that because it is the same bearing in every other aspect(inc pat number) that it has the same load rating and specification as the original.
Anyway, all that said, I changed both bearings but only one of them actualy need doing, the other one is still like new.
So if anyone out there who does'nt do as many miles as me(30000 a year) finds they are in need of a rear wheel bearing, then I've got one you can have that should be good for at least 10000 miles.
Just let me know and I'll drop it in the post.
CB

whats the code on the Yam bearing?
What sizes does it measure?

#45 Sparky

Sparky

just half a litre to go

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 06 March 2008 - 07:50 pm

QUOTE(celticbiker @ Thu 6th Mar 2008, 07:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So if anyone out there who does'nt do as many miles as me(30000 a year)

So how many miles have you racked up on your trusty 900, CB? Was thinking the figure could be quite impressive by now, depending on how long it's belonged to your itinerant self, of course! wink.gif
Ex-TDM owner. Now riding a Sprint ST 1050

#46 Guest_celticbiker_*

Guest_celticbiker_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2008 - 09:24 pm

QUOTE(Sparky @ Thu 6th Mar 2008, 07:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So how many miles have you racked up on your trusty 900, CB? Was thinking the figure could be quite impressive by now, depending on how long it's belonged to your itinerant self, of course! wink.gif

Only had it a year and a bit and it's up to 42200 at the moment.
whats the code on the Yam bearing?
What sizes does it measure?

Code -60/28 RK

Outside-51.98mm (52)
Inside -27.98mm (28)
Width -11.94mm (12)

Edited by celticbiker, 06 March 2008 - 09:31 pm.

#47 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 06 March 2008 - 10:04 pm

QUOTE(celticbiker @ Thu 6th Mar 2008, 02:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So if anyone out there who does'nt do as many miles as me(30000 a year)

30,000 miles a year! Good grief... (Even at 30,000 km a year that is impressive)
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#48 Guest_GuyGraham_*

Guest_GuyGraham_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2008 - 08:21 am

QUOTE(celticbiker @ Thu 6th Mar 2008, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Code -60/28 RK

Outside-51.98mm (52)
Inside -27.98mm (28)
Width -11.94mm (12)

so that would make it a std off the shelf 60/28 then

B&C Express have them at £8.48 here

#49 robsue20

robsue20

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 147 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 07 March 2008 - 05:39 pm

Seeing as bearings seem to be a lot cheaper from our local bearing dealers,as well as being more readily available("i can get that for you next week sir")would it not be a good idea to store all this infomation in the knowledge base.Then as peeps change bearings,they can add to the list and eventually we would have all the sizes in one place as a source of reference.

#50 Sparky

Sparky

just half a litre to go

• 809 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 07 March 2008 - 07:32 pm

QUOTE(tdm850rider @ Thu 6th Mar 2008, 09:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
30,000 miles a year! Good grief... (Even at 30,000 km a year that is impressive)

We can't all be fair weather riders, Thomas! tongue.gif laugh.gif
Ex-TDM owner. Now riding a Sprint ST 1050

#51 Guest_celticbiker_*

Guest_celticbiker_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2008 - 09:00 pm

QUOTE(robsue20 @ Fri 7th Mar 2008, 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seeing as bearings seem to be a lot cheaper from our local bearing dealers,as well as being more readily available("i can get that for you next week sir")would it not be a good idea to store all this infomation in the knowledge base.Then as peeps change bearings,they can add to the list and eventually we would have all the sizes in one place as a source of reference.

Now that sounds like a bloody sensible idea, are you sure you're a TDM owner tongue.gif
Admin

#52 Mitch

Mitch

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 08 March 2008 - 06:00 am

Anyone worked out the number for the front yet?

Honda SS50

Honda CG125

Honda 250 Super Drean

Honda 751F1

Honda CX500

Kawasaki Z750E

TDM 900

PRP exhaust, Scottoiler touring, Yamaha Heated grips, Givi top box & panniers, Garmin, MRA Vario screen, fenda extenda, BMW hand guards. Nippy Normans bar risers. 'Nitram Special' parking light. Starcom. Hagon progressive fork springs. Hagon Monoshock with Remote Adjuster. SW-Motech mirror extenders.GIVI Engine Protectors.

BMW K1200LT (2000)

Nothing to add, has it all. :)

Kawasaki Z750E (1981)

In bits. :huh:

#53 Guest_GuyGraham_*

Guest_GuyGraham_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2008 - 07:03 pm

QUOTE(avonne @ Sat 8th Mar 2008, 05:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyone worked out the number for the front yet?

fronts are 6004's

#54 TenaciousTdM

TenaciousTdM

Carpe fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 162 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 24 May 2009 - 11:51 pm

QUOTE(fluteplayer @ Thu 28th Dec 2006, 08:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My largeness was measured in a steamy kitchen wink.gif

Fluteplayer

oooooooooooooowwwwwwww errrrrrrrrr brother!.just done mine& opened an account with pyramid parts for all carpe to use.just trying to find the dustseals now.seriously iam puttin more time into betty ''tdm''mk1! than all the chops trikes streetfighters&procreation i have ever done!! muhahaha' av done allot up to now as were restoring& repair is the topic & grimndings to halts soon ,still cant find a rear shock in my price range& finding the build is seazing to halt ihope not, being finished up is taking effect ,i knew shoulda stayed in green & battered the life outa them armstrongs!

TON UP POST today on the day of st andrew

fied et opera

dont fix it its not broke.35th year of the p[ist#n br;#k3 club

#55 TimH

TimH

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 182 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 04:04 am

After finding the rear wheel bearing codes here on Carpe, then having success replacing them after purchasing a heat gun, I decided I'll grab some fronts and replace them so they're all done at the same time. Didn't really need new ones but I haven't owned it since new, so now I'll know the history. Check here on Carpe, this thread says the front bearing is a 6004, drop in to my local bearing place on the way home from work yesterday, pick up two 6004's (AU$8.50 each! Too easy.).

Only just got around to putting them in, so remove wheel, heat hub, tap bearings out (so easy with some heat), clean up hub, go get bearings from freezer, double check they are the same size....... blink.gif

The front wheel bearings in my 2002 TDM are 60/22s, not 6004. The 6004 is miles too small both OD and ID.

So now I'm stuck here on a weekend, both bearing shop and bike shops are closed until Monday, bike sitting outside with no front wheel bearings sad.gif

The only consolation is that the weather is really crappy - if it have been a fine sunny day it would have been much worse.

Was the original thread wrong, or could my bike have had the hubs machined out and larger bearings installed for some reason? Would like to clarify for future readers of the thread...

edit: The axle wouldn't fit through the 6004 in any case and that would seem to be standard.

edit again: can't find a part number on the wheel but it does have 5PS cast on it. Not sure why anyone would have changed an 18 for another 18 from a different bike, but it was worth checking.

Also checked my parts catalogue - it lists the front wheel bearing as 93306-00428 Bearing (B6004) which suggests it should be a 6004, however the same catalogue also says my bike should have a 13 tooth front sprocket on it......

Last edit, I promise... Here is a link to the NSK ball bearing range, with dimensions, part numbers etc

Edited by TimH, 04 September 2010 - 07:24 am.

#56 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 04 September 2010 - 07:36 am

Assuming you have the 2002 TDM900 then from what I can see the same bearing is used throughout the years.

Have a look here

http://www.yamahasco...mp;modelID=9782

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#57 SteveK

SteveK

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 04 September 2010 - 07:50 am

QUOTE(TimH @ Sat 4th Sep 2010, 05:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
After finding the rear wheel bearing codes here on Carpe, then having success replacing them after purchasing a heat gun, I decided I'll grab some fronts and replace them so they're all done at the same time. Didn't really need new ones but I haven't owned it since new, so now I'll know the history. Check here on Carpe, this thread says the front bearing is a 6004, drop in to my local bearing place on the way home from work yesterday, pick up two 6004's (AU$8.50 each! Too easy.).

Only just got around to putting them in, so remove wheel, heat hub, tap bearings out (so easy with some heat), clean up hub, go get bearings from freezer, double check they are the same size....... blink.gif

The front wheel bearings in my 2002 TDM are 60/22s, not 6004. The 6004 is miles too small both OD and ID.

So now I'm stuck here on a weekend, both bearing shop and bike shops are closed until Monday, bike sitting outside with no front wheel bearings sad.gif

The only consolation is that the weather is really crappy - if it have been a fine sunny day it would have been much worse.

Was the original thread wrong, or could my bike have had the hubs machined out and larger bearings installed for some reason? Would like to clarify for future readers of the thread...

edit: The axle wouldn't fit through the 6004 in any case and that would seem to be standard.

edit again: can't find a part number on the wheel but it does have 5PS cast on it. Not sure why anyone would have changed an 18 for another 18 from a different bike, but it was worth checking.

Also checked my parts catalogue - it lists the front wheel bearing as 93306-00428 Bearing (B6004) which suggests it should be a 6004, however the same catalogue also says my bike should have a 13 tooth front sprocket on it......

Last edit, I promise... Here is a link to the NSK ball bearing range, with dimensions, part numbers etc

Looking at the size charts for a 6004 the bore is 20mm and the outside diameter is 42mm however if you select a 6204 the bore remains 20mm and the O/D 47mm. is it just a case of measuring the bore and O/D and selecting the appropriate series bearing.
Charts here http://www.nationalp...gs/6000-series/

Steve
Full Givi luggage, MRA flip screen with German import top blade, Garmin sat nav, LED running lights, heated grips, Fender extender.
Follow my 2013 Pyrenees tour on http://pyreneestdm.tumblr.com

#58 TimH

TimH

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 182 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 10:29 am

QUOTE(SteveK @ Sat 4th Sep 2010, 05:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looking at the size charts for a 6004 the bore is 20mm and the outside diameter is 42mm however if you select a 6204 the bore remains 20mm and the O/D 47mm. is it just a case of measuring the bore and O/D and selecting the appropriate series bearing.
Charts here http://www.nationalp...gs/6000-series/

Steve

Thanks guys, but I know what bearing I need - it's a 60/22, which is 22mm inner, 44mm outer. The code is written on the bearings I took out, and the size charts match with my vernier caliper measurements. I have absolutely no doubt what I need to buy on Monday.

My concern is this thread originally specified that the 2002 900 took a 6004 front bearing. The generic 6004 bearing is 20mm inner/42mm outer (from size charts and my vernier) and it certainly does not fit my bike. What I want to know is what bearing do others have in their bikes? Is mine standard (I expect it is)?

I suspect the Yamaha part code is 6004 (as shown in the link Studley put up, and in my parts catalogue), and by an awkward coincidence this is also the generic code for the bearing I got from my bearings supplier.

I just want to confirm what is the right generic bearing code (I think it will be 60/22) so that others looking for this info will be able to get the right bearing....

#59 TimH

TimH

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 182 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 07:44 am

Ok, fitted the 60/22 front wheel bearings, they were supposed to be $13.50 each, but he couldn't be bothered with the paperwork so did a straight swap for the 6004's I bought last week (at $8.50 each). Been for a ride and no wheels fell off so all good...

I'm going to summarise the info here for anyone else who wants to change them without paying for Yamaha OEM parts.

Generic wheel bearing codes for 2002 TDM900 (and later models AFAIK)

Rear wheel bearing 60/28
Sprocket carrier bearing 6206
Front wheel bearing 60/22

Cheers

#60 merlot

merlot

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 119 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 07 September 2010 - 08:13 am

so how many of each tim? my other bike has 3 bearings in the rear ohmy.gif and do you have seal info? cheers russ
he who dies with the most toys wins

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users