• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 srmoutinho

srmoutinho

discovering Carpe

• 16 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 21 October 2020 - 05:14 pm

Hi everyone, this is my first post so here is a small introduction.

First let me apologize for my English even tough i can understand ok, my writing isn´t the best.

After riding a Honda Hornet for 15 years i had a major crash and almost took a miracle for me to survive and be able to walk again. After 2 years of fisiotherapy I was finaly able to put my leg over a bike seat and in that very same week decided to buy another bike: my beloved 97 4tx2. At the time had about 36k km on the clock.

The bike is in fair state at best, i suspect i has been abandoned for quite some time. But as in Portugal rust is not a problem and the reputation for reliabilty for the TDM is high i decided to take the risk,

since January I covered over 7k km, and only haven´t covered more due to the lockdowns. My biggest journey was a 3 day touring event:  Portugal Lés a Lés where i clocked about 2000km and 2.5l of oil! I know the reputation for oil consumption, but is this too much? Other than oil consumption it has been trouble free.

As this bike needs a little bit of tlc whenever i have the time i try to tinker with it, even tough im not very mechanically inclined.

The next job will be fix the lightning in the instrument cluster, it has 1 or 2 lights not working making it dificult to read the km´s from the parcial counter for gas management, i don´t like using the reserve has the tank could do with a cleaning.

I saw in a couple of places contradicting information regarding the bulbs  t5, t10, 12V 1.7W, 12V 3.4W. Does anyone know which type of bulbs should i buy to replace the busted light(s) preferably LED´s .

I woundn´t want to disassemble part of the bike just to find out i don´t have the right bulbs and need to wait for a replacement.

Cheers

Edited by srmoutinho, 21 October 2020 - 05:17 pm.

#2 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 21 October 2020 - 07:18 pm

Greetings - help will arrive soon :good:

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#3 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 22 October 2020 - 05:44 am

Welcome. My book says "Meter light 12v 2w x 3."

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#4 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 22 October 2020 - 01:41 pm

Hi and welcome. 

Engine oil consumption is on the high side, from memory Yamaha suggest 1ltr per 1000 miles.

Hmmm, well, to add some confusion, according to the '96 service manual the meter lights are:-

12V 3.4w x 1

12V 3.0w x 1

12V 1.7w x 2

Neutral, turn and high beam lights are all 12V 3.4w.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#5 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 03:02 pm

None of those wattage will be too bright or cause overheating......just use 4 x 3w....hth

Bulb type is push and turn 9mm (BA9)

Edited by Apache, 22 October 2020 - 04:16 pm.

#6 srmoutinho

srmoutinho

discovering Carpe

• 16 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 04:28 pm

Thank you all for the reply.

I will order some BA9´s then and give feedback when i finished the job.

Cheers

#7 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 22 October 2020 - 05:25 pm

You can replace them with LED versions also..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#8 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 08:20 pm

Thank you all for the reply.

I will order some BA9´s then and give feedback when i finished the job.

Cheers

No idea why srmoutinho but a thought came to me today that the bulbs may be T5 capless.....it's a while since I changed any and I've just finished restoring an old Triumph that had BA9's so they were in my mind.. Check before buying........apologies if the message is too late and I misinformed...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users