• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#161 Oldgit59

Oldgit59

sticking around

• 24 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 06 February 2020 - 08:52 pm

Thanks a lot for your response TKH. I'm near Toulouse in France so might struggle to reach you. Appreciate your help though. I'm still contemplating moving the inlet air temperature sensor out of the airbox following Frits44 experience, before committing to spend cash.

#162 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 06 February 2020 - 11:00 pm

Thanks a lot for your response TKH. I'm near Toulouse in France so might struggle to reach you. Appreciate your help though. I'm still contemplating moving the inlet air temperature sensor out of the airbox following Frits44 experience, before committing to spend cash.

thas the way i'd go and then try and fine tune it using the dash buttons.

As said mine is 2008 BUT it's a weird one. It appears to be part early and part later e.g.  the engine is grey, and the gauges are dark an not white. Also, the bike is registered as a 900A but I'm sure it isn't....

If it helps mine was actually for a Kawasaki and I had to switch round the injector wiring.

Where abouts are you? The setup on mine is a little more complex than the actual TDM version (that'll teach me to double check the ebay listing!!) but if  you're local to me you can come and have  look and see if it'll work on yours.

well if it's ABS it'll have an ABS 'idiot' warning lamp and the wheel hubs will have the tell tale signs also. Ya had it from new?

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#163 Oldgit59

Oldgit59

sticking around

• 24 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 05:19 pm

Just moved the air inlet temperature sensor out of the airbox and positioned it towards the back of the tank to the extent that the cable allowed. I put a 10mm bolt, nut and washers to seal the hole with a dab of Loctite on the threads. 30 km test ride and retuned using the CO buttons. By ear I reversed the mixture settings between cylinder 1 and 2 and lowered them to get stable revs at 2500 rpm. Seems much better but I'll wait a week / tank of fuel to see the effect. First impressions are positive, might just have saved $300+ by not buying the Dobeck (but let's see).

#164 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 11 February 2020 - 07:42 pm

thas the way i'd go and then try and fine tune it using the dash buttons.

well if it's ABS it'll have an ABS 'idiot' warning lamp and the wheel hubs will have the tell tale signs also. Ya had it from new?

No bought it used at 18 months old (the bike not me!). When I first got it, I used to get the grating sensation in the rear brake when pulling up sharp so assumed it was ABS kicking in. I'll have to look for the ABS lamp. It should also have the ABS unit under the seat apparently.

Bet it was pikeys who nicked my ABS.  :rolleyes:

#165 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 12 February 2020 - 08:11 am

ABS electronic control unit is on the right hand side attached to the headlamp support bracket.

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#166 velf2003

velf2003

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 51 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 17 February 2020 - 11:34 am

Just moved the air inlet temperature sensor out of the airbox and positioned it towards the back of the tank to the extent that the cable allowed. I put a 10mm bolt, nut and washers to seal the hole with a dab of Loctite on the threads. 30 km test ride and retuned using the CO buttons. By ear I reversed the mixture settings between cylinder 1 and 2 and lowered them to get stable revs at 2500 rpm. Seems much better but I'll wait a week / tank of fuel to see the effect. First impressions are positive, might just have saved $300+ by not buying the Dobeck (but let's see).

What where youre CO-settigs before, and what are they now?

#167 Oldgit59

Oldgit59

sticking around

• 24 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 06:51 pm

When I bought the bike last October C1 was 14 and C2 19. I experimented up and down these levels up to 90 and 95. Didn't change performance, sucked a bit more fuel. Since doing the above I now have C1 35 and C2 30. Plugs are lightly browned so overall mixture is OK. However light throttle at 3k revs any gear still hesitates and is bloody irritating. I found a loose grip on the throttle helps smooth things and de-clutching over speed bumps reduces hiccups on the exit. Fuel consumption is also up to 59 mpg at the last top-up. However it's still not good enough and I cracked and ordered a Dobeck from the company. It's in transit at the moment. I really want this bike to run well as it meets all my needs and is a pleasure once on the gas. The Dobeck cost about £250.

#168 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 21 February 2020 - 07:08 pm

When I bought the bike last October C1 was 14 and C2 19. I experimented up and down these levels up to 90 and 95. Didn't change performance, sucked a bit more fuel. Since doing the above I now have C1 35 and C2 30. Plugs are lightly browned so overall mixture is OK. However light throttle at 3k revs any gear still hesitates and is bloody irritating. I found a loose grip on the throttle helps smooth things and de-clutching over speed bumps reduces hiccups on the exit. Fuel consumption is also up to 59 mpg at the last top-up. However it's still not good enough and I cracked and ordered a Dobeck from the company. It's in transit at the moment. I really want this bike to run well as it meets all my needs and is a pleasure once on the gas. The Dobeck cost about £250.

£250 is not a lot of money in the grand scale of tings so hopefully it'll give u the desired results.   Did u consider having the ECU re-flashed?

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

#169 Oldgit59

Oldgit59

sticking around

• 24 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 09:24 pm

Dobeck arrived today, 79 to pay for customs and vat on top of the purchase price. Install tomorrow. I didn't look at an ECU reflash as I want to keep a bit of control over the fine tuning. More info once it's done.

Edited by Oldgit59, 21 February 2020 - 09:25 pm.

#170 Oldgit59

Oldgit59

sticking around

• 24 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 03:21 pm

Dobeck 3.5 fitted and left at the stock settings. Excellent improvement, smooth at low revs low speed in town and pulls well on open roads. I did just over 106km from a full tank then refilled. It took 4.6 litres to top up, so about 60mpg. Very pleased so far, but as my previous post let's see after 1000kms and a few tanks of petrol.

#171 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 11:27 pm

Dobeck 3.5 fitted and left at the stock settings. Excellent improvement, smooth at low revs low speed in town and pulls well on open roads. I did just over 106km from a full tank then refilled. It took 4.6 litres to top up, so about 60mpg. Very pleased so far, but as my previous post let's see after 1000kms and a few tanks of petrol.

good work there Old chap, it must have been a fairly straight forward plug n' play affair?   Be interesting to see how ya get on with it long term.  It's a shame so many people seemed to suffer with poor low speed running on some TDM 900's and sold them on after failing to iron out the issues,  i reckon there is quite a bit of info on these 900's that most if not all problematic ones can be improved greatly.

#172 Oldgit59

Oldgit59

sticking around

• 24 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 03:50 pm

Thanks Wickla, it was plug and play but the instructions are generic. The single connector is on the left side just inside the frame and is the only connector that looks like the one on the Dobeck loom. Easy access, just needed to split the protective tubing over the wires to get a bit more length for the earth wire to reach the battery negative. Taped up the split with black insulation tape and looks fine. The control unit is mounted under the seat just in front of where the toolkit lives, secured with the supplied velcro pads. It's a neat installation. If I knew how to upload photos I have a couple I could share to help others. Any ideas?

#173 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 23 February 2020 - 09:51 pm

Re photos, you can either reduce the file size of the phot and then try posting it up.   Or, upload photos to somewhere like Flickr then post up the links.  Or, subscribe to Carpe (£5) and you will then have a 50MB photo/mage allowance to post up bigger photos.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#174 Oldgit59

Oldgit59

sticking around

• 24 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 09:03 am

Thanks Studley, but I cannot see any button nor menu option to upload a pic. Is there a noddy guide for newbies?
Might have sussed it by going to Full Version on the phone. I will try it.

#175 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 24 February 2020 - 09:10 am

That's it OG. Full version, small pic.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#176 Oldgit59

Oldgit59

sticking around

• 24 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 09:13 am

Showing the white plug just inside the left frame to disconnect and plug in the Dobeck harness, the earth lead to go to the battery negative terminal and the unit location under the seat.

#177 Oldgit59

Oldgit59

sticking around

• 24 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 12:25 pm

This time with photos

Attached Files

#178 Oldgit59

Oldgit59

sticking around

• 24 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 01:13 pm

After a bit over 1k kms since installation here's a quick update. Bike runs like a charm. Smooth at low revs and low speed in traffic. Smooth acceleration up to the red line ish. No more kangaroo hops. I moved the inlet air temperature sensor back to its original position in the air box. Averaging about 57 mpg. With this mod the TDM has become the bike I hoped it would be. At 10 years old and 24k Kms on the clock it's like a new bike. Delighted with the Dobeck investment and I have no connection nor interest in the company. Just a very happy customer. I recommend to anyone with the hiccups and jerks, money well spent IMO.

#179 fcb

fcb

arrived on last train

• 4 posts

Posted 07 September 2021 - 05:04 pm

Does anyone have an up to date link for Dobeck website - can't seem to find anything. Are they still in business? Cheers.

#180 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 10 September 2021 - 05:35 pm

Does anyone have an up to date link for Dobeck website - can't seem to find anything. Are they still in business? Cheers.

https://www.dobeckperformance.com/

And the link to the 9er specific product…

https://www.dobeckpe...p?vehicleid=636

Edited by Jim, 10 September 2021 - 05:41 pm.

84 Honda XL600R  :)

04 TDM900  :good:

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jerk, stutter, chug, slow, buck, throttle, EFI, fix, tune, tuning

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users