• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 daveRapide

daveRapide

sticking around

• 33 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 26 May 2019 - 02:35 pm

Can anyone tell me if its okay to fit a charging lead to my 2009 900 and leave it plugged in to a trickle charger with the bike's electrics still connected? Or does the battery have to be disconnected/removed from the bike first?

#2 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 26 May 2019 - 02:44 pm

In theory it's fine, but what voltage does it reach ? (using a voltmeter to measure it)

Sometimes overcharging a lead acid battery can bring cells at different states of charge up to the same level (known as balancing) but it almost always means some evaporation of water from the electrolyte.

Trickle charging can also release water for a similar reason. In principle trickle charging isn't necessary, it became popular for use with cells that need to be held at absolute maximum capacity, which received regular top-ups . Often these would be used in telephone exchanges and backup supplies in critical establishments.

A bike battery doesn't need it, a regular run or application oif a charger once a month will keep any lead based battery as healthy as if a trickle charger had been employed.

Batteries really only start to die when they're stored in a discharged state, so a regular top up from an external charger, or just by running the engine for 10 minutes will do the same job without the risk of losing water.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#3 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• 1,770 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 26 May 2019 - 05:20 pm

I don't leave mine plugged in to a charger/ optimiser when the bike is not in use. I just put mine on every month or two for a few hours until fully charged to top it up. Battery doesn't seem to have suffered for it as it's about 11 years old now and still going strong (yuasa).

2004 Galaxy Blue. Owned since 486 miles.Renthal 755 bars, Bagster tank cover, Oxford heated grips, DL650 hand guards, Double Bubble screen, Scorpion Rad guard, Gel pad insert, HLD undertray, Angry Badger tailtidy,  Michelin Road 5s, Givi E21s, E46 topbox, Ohlins shock and YSS cartridge emulators   Currently not fitted - PC3, Remus Revolutions.

LCErj.jpg

Putting up with the "niner" jokes since 2005
Check out http://www.hotcoldground.co.uk we're really rather good!
Like food? I feed people -  SmokinGrillGuy <p>

#4 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,508 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 26 May 2019 - 09:32 pm

I use an optimiser constantly, shared between two bikes. I swap bikes roughly once a week. I have only ever bought two batteries for 5 bikes in 12 years. They are supposed to help reduce sulphuration, which is apparently a benefit.
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#5 daveRapide

daveRapide

sticking around

• 33 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 10:04 am

All good replies about frequency of charging, but my question was: does the battery need to be disconnected from the bike's electrics while being charged? (I have always assumed so, but it is an awful faff getting the battery in and out of a niner.)

#6 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 27 May 2019 - 10:05 am

All good replies about frequency of charging, but my question was: does the battery need to be disconnected from the bike's electrics while being charged? (I have always assumed so, but it is an awful faff getting the battery in and out of a niner.)

I have an Optimiser 3+ and have never had to disconnect the battery whilst connected on the 9r.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#7 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,508 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 27 May 2019 - 01:09 pm

I have leads permanently attached to the battery which are plugged into the optimser with the battery still in place and connected to the bike. My only further thought is to question whether or not your reference to a "trickle charger" includes or means a modern optimiser. I believe that the two are different animals. I would only attach my battery, the way I do, to an optimiser. (BTW, to replace it, I got my TDM battery out with the aid of some coat hanger wire).
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#8 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 27 May 2019 - 01:17 pm

I left it open in my first response. In theory, it should be fine (to leave the battery connected), but what is the output voltage of the charger you're using ? Some trickle chargers use low current and 15V (too high voltage for maintenance free batteries IMHO)

Have you put a voltmeter on the battery terminals while the charger is hooked up ?

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#9 daveRapide

daveRapide

sticking around

• 33 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 07:06 pm

Thanks for all replies. By "trickle charger" I meant an Optimiser OF950. Label on it says output 12v, 0.6A. I haven't put a voltmeter on terminals while charging. Is it OK if not above 12v?

#10 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 28 May 2019 - 08:17 pm

No need to disconnect the battery and it's also ok if the voltage is below 12v. :)

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#11 MipeTDM

MipeTDM

really likes Carpe

• 92 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 30 May 2019 - 09:06 am

If the ignition switch is off, you effectively already disconnected the bike's electronics from the battery.

#12 daveRapide

daveRapide

sticking around

• 33 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 07:46 pm

If the ignition switch is off, you effectively already disconnected the bike's electronics from the battery.

That sounds like a good point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users