• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Phracker

Phracker

discovering Carpe

• 19 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 29 May 2019 - 07:46 pm

I've finally stripped it down my engine to find that 3rd's dogs are all rounded and the pockets of 4th have some wear too. Bike had issues with 3rd since the day I bought it, so this all kinda makes sense now.

Would anyone trust buying a high mileage used gearbox? I'm wondering if I buy a swap if it will likely fail the same way. Mine only had 22000km on it and was already a problem.

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 29 May 2019 - 08:05 pm

Best to spect it first hey, else get a later box.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 10,735 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 07:19 am

Taking a chance with any 2nd hand parts i guess unless you can look 1st, a mk2 box can replace the mk1 and i've read elsewhere from 96 98 or later the better so up to 2001 which is the year i bagged one from.

Edited by dablik, 30 May 2019 - 03:00 pm.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#4 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 30 May 2019 - 08:44 am

I wouldn't trust a replacement mk1 gearbox, later mk2 and mk2a wans are much better quality.  The TRX850 gearbox will also work although it does have a slightly higher 1st gear.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#5 Phracker

Phracker

discovering Carpe

• 19 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 04:38 am

Huge thanks! I was unsure if I could swap a gearbox from a 4TX or not.

I was eyeballing 3VD bits on ebay, but reluctant to pull the trigger on buying. I'll switch my search over to 4TX stuff.

A 270 crank would be nice :)

Also, here is what I found.

https://www.dropbox....dwear.png?raw=1

https://www.dropbox....hwear.png?raw=1

#6 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 02 June 2019 - 05:20 pm

Yeah, I reckon it's the 4th gear that causes the wear to the 3rd gear dog, maybe a poor design.  Later gearboxes seem sharper edged.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#7 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 10,735 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 05:25 pm

Dont think you can stick a 270 crank innit Phracker, surely you would need the mk2 camshafts as well !

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users