#41 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,257 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 29 October 2006 - 10:30 pm

QUOTE(Stunts @ Sun 29th Oct 2006, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Had mine done yesterday - I took the fairings off to re-route my intercome cable that had been put back correctly and noticed that the spanner monkey hadn't actually tightened the bolts that hold the fuel tank on blink.gif blink.gif Needless to say I shall be having a word!!! Bike itself feels no different.

Oops! I guess with that degree of doziness he didn't notice the airbox mod?? Just got back today from a few days in Romania (great place!), and found my letter from Yamaha.

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#42 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 14 November 2006 - 10:10 pm

QUOTE(Pict @ Mon 30th Oct 2006, 12:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oops! I guess with that degree of doziness he didn't notice the airbox mod?? Just got back today from a few days in Romania (great place!), and found my letter from Yamaha.

You lot seem to be getting the recall sorted really quickly. How long between taking letter in and job done.?? my letter went to local dealer about 3 weeks ago. checked twice.....still no part from yamaha!! Anyone else similar wait ??
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#43 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 10:24 pm

QUOTE(techno virgin @ Tue 14th Nov 2006, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You lot seem to be getting the recall sorted really quickly. How long between taking letter in and job done.?? my letter went to local dealer about 3 weeks ago. checked twice.....still no part from yamaha!! Anyone else similar wait ??

Letter to dealer about 2 weeks ago, got call today to arrange job for next week, bike going in Tuesday, so about 3 weeks altogether smile.gif . Only downside is I'll have a Fazer 600 rollerskate shocked.gif for the day sad.gif

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#44 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 10:34 pm

QUOTE(Pict @ Wed 15th Nov 2006, 12:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Letter to dealer about 2 weeks ago, got call today to arrange job for next week, bike going in Tuesday, so about 3 weeks altogether smile.gif . Only downside is I'll have a Fazer 600 rollerskate shocked.gif for the day sad.gif

cheers for that. feel a little less hard done to now!! no offer of curtzy bike tho'!! might just try it on. they've got a 200 mile / 05 gs1200 in at Ł7995 and offered a test ride....thinkin 2 birds = 1 stone !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#45 Guest_Neil_*

Guest_Neil_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2006 - 01:04 pm

Had my letter ages ago, only just booked with a dealer 7 days ago and am one of 28 on his waiting list. Will be a while me thinks. His problem he says is that Yamaha only sending 1 part at a time instead of a dozen.

#46 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 03:03 pm

QUOTE(Neil @ Fri 17th Nov 2006, 12:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Had my letter ages ago, only just booked with a dealer 7 days ago and am one of 28 on his waiting list. Will be a while me thinks. His problem he says is that Yamaha only sending 1 part at a time instead of a dozen.

The same scale of courtesy and customer care as "...Yamaha’s policy of constantly monitoring the quality and performance of its products...." that has led them only now to recall bikes going back to 2002? huh.gif blink.gif

QUOTE(techno virgin @ Tue 14th Nov 2006, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
cheers for that. feel a little less hard done to now!! no offer of curtzy bike tho'!! might just try it on. they've got a 200 mile / 05 gs1200 in at Ł7995 and offered a test ride....thinkin 2 birds = 1 stone !!

Prefer 'em a little bit meatier meself yeahyeahyeah.gif

#47 duibhce Kaelann

duibhce Kaelann

has been here 4ever

• 1,147 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 03:26 pm

a small remark related to the TPS recall. After the installation of the new TPS you may notice an error #14 in the diag mode. This happens when your dealer removed the airbox to get easier access and calibrated the new TPS without the airbox installed.
This is not a problem, it's just the airbox sensor producing a warning.

So if you encounter the error, don't worry it'll probably be because of the above...
Yamaha XJ600S Diversion '94
Yamaha XJ900S Diversion '97
Suzuki SV650S '01
Yamaha TDM900 '04

Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré '08 + Yamaha TRX850 '97

I'll let go of my throttle when they pry it from my cold, dead hands...

#48 SteveGlover

SteveGlover

850 going for 900

• 857 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 17 November 2006 - 08:48 pm

QUOTE(duibhce Kaelann @ Fri 17th Nov 2006, 03:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
a small remark related to the TPS recall. After the installation of the new TPS you may notice an error #14 in the diag mode. This happens when your dealer removed the airbox to get easier access and calibrated the new TPS without the airbox installed.
This is not a problem, it's just the airbox sensor producing a warning.

So if you encounter the error, don't worry it'll probably be because of the above...

Does that mean if you don't have error #14 the dealer didn't calibrate the TPS?

#49 Guest_E.T._*

Guest_E.T._*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2006 - 09:23 pm

I'm tkaing mine in tomorrow - but I'm leaving theairbox mod...do you think that's going to cause any problems? (s'not in warranty anymore)

#50 duibhce Kaelann

duibhce Kaelann

has been here 4ever

• 1,147 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 10:01 pm

QUOTE(SteveGlover @ Fri 17th Nov 2006, 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does that mean if you don't have error #14 the dealer didn't calibrate the TPS?

not necessarily, he might have just reset the diag errors or calibrated the TPS with the airbox installed.
If you want to be sure, check the serial number on the TPS. If I remember correctly TPS's ending in the thirties are faulty.

QUOTE(E.T. @ Fri 17th Nov 2006, 10:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm tkaing mine in tomorrow - but I'm leaving theairbox mod...do you think that's going to cause any problems? (s'not in warranty anymore)

Mine was still under warranty. I didn't bother undoing the airbox mod, but dealer didn't mind. The mod only disables the flap that is installed mearly for emission tests anyway. And he did the same on his own TDM anyway wink.gif
Yamaha XJ600S Diversion '94
Yamaha XJ900S Diversion '97
Suzuki SV650S '01
Yamaha TDM900 '04

Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré '08 + Yamaha TRX850 '97

I'll let go of my throttle when they pry it from my cold, dead hands...

#51 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 18 November 2006 - 06:42 pm

Had mine done today at Carrick in Edinburgh. Took about an hour and a half as I waited. The mechanic showed me the recall sheet and what the problem is - the "sweeper" arm in the potentiometer is modified as the original one doesn't make a good contact on the winding.

Yamaha are replacing EVERY TPS thats fitted to all injected Yams within the build years '02 - 05 regardless if the customer has a complaint or not. Carrick had a pile of about 20 they'd replaced in the past few weeks

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#52 Guest_E.T._*

Guest_E.T._*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2006 - 07:04 pm

Had mine done today, took about 45 minutes. the bike is far smoother (it had really deteriated over the last 4 months or so) - got feckin filthy riding it up this morning (and boy was it chilley in the nether regions!), spent another 3 hours cleaning it!

#53 Doc

Doc

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 231 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 18 November 2006 - 08:32 pm

QUOTE(Pict @ Wed 15th Nov 2006, 12:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Pict, we're from the same area (ish). Where are you having yours done? Mine's going to Knebworth, when they get the part, and have done the 75 bikes ahead of mine!

#54 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 09:28 pm

QUOTE(Pict @ Fri 17th Nov 2006, 04:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The same scale of courtesy and customer care as "...Yamaha’s policy of constantly monitoring the quality and performance of its products...." that has led them only now to recall bikes going back to 2002? huh.gif blink.gif
Prefer 'em a little bit meatier meself yeahyeahyeah.gif

2 birds = 35 stone, although probably more factually accurate, dosn't have the same ring about it !! (go on make something julian clarey outta that !!)

#55 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 12:10 am

QUOTE(Doc @ Sat 18th Nov 2006, 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Pict, we're from the same area (ish). Where are you having yours done? Mine's going to Knebworth, when they get the part, and have done the 75 bikes ahead of mine!

Yup, I'm going to Saunders too (Tuesday), though bike came originally from London Colney (Motorcycles & Moore) Nice bunch at Knebworth, but can be a bit dozy so I hope they do things OK. Guess I'm one of the 75. At least they're not charging anything, though apparently Yamaha reimbursement is less than the job warrants, so some dealers have been charging to make up the difference, I'm told. Anybody else heard this?

Drop me a PM - we must meet up sometime (I'm in Hitchin)

Edited by Pict, 19 November 2006 - 12:11 am.

#56 Guest_E.T._*

Guest_E.T._*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2006 - 08:13 pm

No Orwells we're very good, and I was chatting to the Workshop manager and he was saying that now is quiet time of the year so they not relly minding havin g the steady income (despite it not really paying the full cost, its better than guys not fully occupied)

#57 TDMalcolm

TDMalcolm

really likes Carpe

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 11:42 am

Hi All, My 900 goes in tomorrow for the mod, looked over the mech's shoulder while he was checking for the part....WOW yeahyeahyeah.gif big box 2'x18" x 18" full of these little b*$gers unsure.gif , I hope this is the last of any probs for us all.. catch you later aligator, TDMalcolm good.gif

#58 Mitch

Mitch

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 21 November 2006 - 03:11 pm

Have you noticed a difference ET, do they balance the throttles and all that shit as well?

Honda SS50

Honda CG125

Honda 250 Super Drean

Honda 751F1

Honda CX500

Kawasaki Z750E

TDM 900

PRP exhaust, Scottoiler touring, Yamaha Heated grips, Givi top box & panniers, Garmin, MRA Vario screen, fenda extenda, BMW hand guards. Nippy Normans bar risers. 'Nitram Special' parking light. Starcom. Hagon progressive fork springs. Hagon Monoshock with Remote Adjuster. SW-Motech mirror extenders.GIVI Engine Protectors.

BMW K1200LT (2000)

Nothing to add, has it all. :)

Kawasaki Z750E (1981)

In bits. :huh:

#59 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 04:23 pm

Got the bike back today - Saunders (Knebworth) claim it takes 2 hours. Judgment probably coloured by expectation but it does feel more responsive and better at low speed/revs. The main feeling was relief at getting it back after their dog-rough courtesy Fazer. blink.gif sad.gif Haven't done dK's throttle range test yet - maybe tomorrow before or en route to Oxford. The other thing to check is improved starting - it needed some welly this morning.

Edited by Pict, 21 November 2006 - 04:24 pm.

#60 Guest_E.T._*

Guest_E.T._*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2006 - 06:01 pm

QUOTE(avonne @ Tue 21st Nov 2006, 02:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have you noticed a difference ET, do they balance the throttles and all that shit as well?

I noticed a big big difference, but frankly I'm sure the thing was well on the way out - trying to get it started is a battle with having to blip the throttle to keep the revs up. Idling at <750 then open the throttle to stop it stalling, then up to the next set of lights and 1500rpm, and stuff like that. Erratic as hell (that's why I think bikes are girls)

Frank Lee anything would have made it better.

Even at the beginning of this season I didn't really have a problem but its definitely deteriated over the summer, then I did the airbox mod and it was good, this is now great - fantastic

Now scuze my ignerbluerince but I thought the balancing was all electronic and done by the ECU thingy 10 billion trillion times a second or something?...so I don't really know the answer to that if I'm honest.

All I know is its a dream toride again yahoo.gif

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users