• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mrr1

mrr1

arrived on last train

• 4 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 10 June 2019 - 12:10 pm

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere. To be honest I've only just joined the forum after picking up my first TDM900. I've scoured the site and am struggling to find the info I'm after

Right, so I'm touring in the Alps in 3 weeks time. I've changed oil and filter (just as well as the whoever did the last change put the filter in upside down....)
Bled brakes but still not the "feel" I'd like and one bleed nipple is blocked so I've got braided hoses new bleed nipples and fresh fluid lined up.
I thought the coolant tank was a little low so I topped it up with what I thought was Prestone "goes with anything" stuff... But it wasn't D'oh! I've missed the old green stuff in there with pink OAT stuff for the missus old Celica so the old girls going to get a coolant change as well.

The manual says "use a quality ethylene glycol" so that's what I've bought. Saw the front of the bottle in the auto store and it said ethylene glycol. When I got it home I noticed on the back it is, in fact, an OAT version. Bearing the systems going to get a full drain will the new OAT ethylene glycol stuff be ok? Also am I right in saying I need to drain the system from the water pump, cylinder block face and the expansion down pipe?

Bike is an 04 with 57k.

Cheers
TDM900, TRX850, Pan 1300, '83 Nighthawk 650

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,105 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 10 June 2019 - 12:58 pm

Yer OAT should be fine. I think Prestone got on trouble for their "goes with anything" claim

Enjoy yer trip.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 10 June 2019 - 01:14 pm

I normally empty from the water pump and cylinder block face but you'll only get a dribble from that location, usually stick the hose pipe furra quick flush then fill up straight away, leave on side stand, cap off while idling to remove any air.

Off to the Alps, lubberly been awhile since last out that way..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#4 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 10 June 2019 - 02:25 pm

You'll also have to empty the reservoir bottle behind the RHS cover. I used a medical syringe and a piece of hose. 

Riggers.

#5 mrr1

mrr1

arrived on last train

• 4 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 10 June 2019 - 07:24 pm

Cheers chaps. Good thinking riggers with the syringe and tubing. I just happen to have a couple ready for the brake job.....
TDM900, TRX850, Pan 1300, '83 Nighthawk 650

#6 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:51 pm

oil filter upside down,  i didn't think that was possible and i'm surprised the enjun hasn't seized?

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#7 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 11 June 2019 - 02:44 pm

always a good idea to cable tie the front brake lever  to the bar overnight after a fluid change

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users