• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 WinstonSmith

WinstonSmith

discovering Carpe

• 18 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 20 June 2019 - 08:04 pm

I don't have the owners manual/handbook...

Could somebody please post the standard base settings for front and rear suspension on a 98 850 4tx.
( Front end feels awful so before I start throwing money at it I should at least see what it's like on factory settings )

Many thanks 👍

#2 Atesz792

Atesz792

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 65 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 23 June 2019 - 05:53 am

I can't help with specifics but want to point out how much my 9er improved after a fork oil change.
Should be a maintenance item, seems like it's a cheap(ish) upgrade in Hungary...
I'm pretty sure I had the first fork oil change done on my '02 9er last week. Bought her this spring.
Same with my 'Zuki a bit earlier...
Member from Hungary, riding an '02 9er.

#3 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 23 June 2019 - 08:52 am

Hi mate. Mine's a 900 so can't directly help you, but just to say that full documentation is available here....

http://www.tdm-yamaha.heliohost.org/

Cheers

Riggers.

#4 AlanG

AlanG

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 106 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 23 June 2019 - 06:33 pm

Front : Preload turn adjusting bolt to following marks (soft 1/2) Standard (3) Hard (4/5)
: Damping turn adjusting screw (hard 0 click out) (standard 4 clicks out) (soft 5 clicks out)

Rear : Preload ( solo lever at S) ( passenger lever at H)
: Damping turn knob (hard 0 click out) ( standard 10 clicks out) (soft 20 clicks out)

Hope this helps

#5 WinstonSmith

WinstonSmith

discovering Carpe

• 18 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 12:13 pm

Atesz - I will be putting new fluids in soon - head bearings need changing so will do the forks then.

Rigger - that link isn't working for me , I'll see if I can find one that works and repost it.

Alan - that's great thank you.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

#6 WinstonSmith

WinstonSmith

discovering Carpe

• 18 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 12:18 pm

.... Oh, I meant to ask,
What do you guys use to support the front of the bike if removing the steering assembly?
I've used centre stand and timber blocks under the engine on other bikes but the exhausts don't appear to leave much space for chocking it up

#7 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,745 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 24 June 2019 - 12:32 pm

Centre stand and a trolley jack, with some wood under the exhausts

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#8 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,745 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 24 June 2019 - 01:25 pm

Stud bar through the front of the engine behind downpipes and axle stand either side, very robust.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#9 WinstonSmith

WinstonSmith

discovering Carpe

• 18 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 04:10 pm

Christ - I failed to mention mine only has side stand so will have to use paddock stand. I'm not keen on putting all that weight on the pipes, they're fairly old and a bit ropey.

Dablik - I hadn't thought about using axle stands - nice one !

Thanks guys 👍

#10 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,211 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 24 June 2019 - 08:33 pm

Christ - I failed to mention mine only has side stand so will have to use paddock stand. I'm not keen on putting all that weight on the pipes, they're fairly old and a bit ropey.

Dablik - I hadn't thought about using axle stands - nice one !

Thanks guys

Whilst Chris is a well respected member on here, I'm not sure he's quite reached that status just yet. :lol:

Axle stands work for me. :good:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#11 WinstonSmith

WinstonSmith

discovering Carpe

• 18 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 08:45 pm

Oops
😂

Cool, thanks Studley

Edited by WinstonSmith, 24 June 2019 - 08:47 pm.

#12 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 24 June 2019 - 11:27 pm

And there was me thinking I was just about tolerated! Thanks Studley!

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#13 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 27 June 2019 - 01:33 pm

There's always the ladder trick for extra support if you have a paddock stand and trolly jack.  Bar and axle stands is probably a better way to support the weight once it's up, but there's no issue with jacking it under the pipes, although I did wedge a bit of wood between the pipes and the engine to take a bit of the load

ZmDK4oD.jpg

I found this guide pretty good when playing about with suspension

http://www.gostar-ra...sion_set-up.htm

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users