• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Quadsey

Quadsey

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 52 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 06 May 2019 - 02:08 pm

Hey Guys, I'm still finding my way around my TDM 900 twin and today i decided to flush the cooling system because the bike is overheating in city driving conditions.

There are two main issues. 1. the fan doesn't seem to be coming on regardless of temp and 2. the coolant reservoir was empty.

So firstly after stripping the radiator off completely to access the fan, i found the fan is moving freely and has no signs of wear. It has been suggested to me to check "a switch" or "thermostat", i was unable to spot either. Does this sound like it could be the issue? Where are they located ( a photo pointing them out would be nice)

Secondly the coolant reservoir is completely empty, is this simply an issue of low coolant level or is there an issue with circulation?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

"Touch not, less ye be touched" -Brodie 1995

#2 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 06 May 2019 - 03:38 pm

Well, I'd start with the simple things. If the coolant level is low,top up the reservoir and preferably the radiator to, by removing the cap and brimming it. Then try running the engine up again to see if the fan starts. Does the temp gauge rise? It's normal to get almost into the red before the fan starts. While you're in there, wire the fan directly to a power source ie battery, to see if it will run. If it runs like this,and the gauge gets to the red while the fan is wired as it should be....start looking for the switch.
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#3 Quadsey

Quadsey

• 52 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 05:15 pm

Well, I'd start with the simple things. If the coolant level is low,top up the reservoir and preferably the radiator to, by removing the cap and brimming it. Then try running the engine up again to see if the fan starts. Does the temp gauge rise? It's normal to get almost into the red before the fan starts. While you're in there, wire the fan directly to a power source ie battery, to see if it will run. If it runs like this,and the gauge gets to the red while the fan is wired as it should be....start looking for the switch.

I've just done a coolant flush and change so i'll have to wait until tomorrow to see if its done anything for it.

Yes the temp gauge does rise and in relation to the fan its wiring seems to be sealed to the back of it so not accessible to wire an external power source.

#4 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 05:25 pm

Follow the cable, I think there a terminal block into the harness where before it enters the frame tunnel.

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#5 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,747 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 06 May 2019 - 05:36 pm

I've just done a coolant flush and change so i'll have to wait until tomorrow to see if its done anything for it.

Yes the temp gauge does rise and in relation to the fan its wiring seems to be sealed to the back of it so not accessible to wire an external power source.

If you want to switch the fan, lift the tank and airbox to reveal the wiring, tank swivels up but support if more than half full.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#6 Quadsey

Quadsey

• 52 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 06:06 pm

If you want to switch the fan, lift the tank and airbox to reveal the wiring, tank swivels up but support if more than half full.

Good to know, thanks.

#7 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 06 May 2019 - 06:31 pm

Make sure all the hoses are back in the right place. The small ones near the radiator cap sometimes get switched.

hoses

#8 Hombre

Hombre

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 09:31 pm

Check the coolant isn't leaking past the seal on the water pump shaft. You need to know why the coolant is low.

<p>BSA C15T, Ducati 200 Elite, Villiers Cub Trials Bitsa, Ariel Huntmaster, AJS 650 CSR, Sunbeam S7, Suzuki 650 Katana, Honda 400-4, Bultaco 350 Sherpa, Cotton Minarelli, Fantic 303, Yamaha SRX 400, Yamaha 550 Virago, Kawasaki ZZR 1100,  Fantic 305, Yamaha TDM 850 '91, Yamaha TDM 900 '04.  Ducati 200 Elite (again and now completed restoration), Yamaha SRX-600

#9 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 07 May 2019 - 01:28 am

i tink the ECU can be programmed to switch the fan on at a lower temperature level.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#10 Quadsey

Quadsey

• 52 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 11:21 am

So i drove to work today (50km) and no issues, bike stayed as cool as usual and reservoir still has coolant in it. Can't say whether or not the fan kicked in. I might leave the bike running after my return journey tonight and see what happens.

In relation to some of the replies:

TKH, Pipes are as in your photo so don't think there's any issue there.

Hombre, I confident it's not an issue of leaking as I've never seen any stains or residue on the ground or bike.

Wicklamulla, Would getting the ECU altered be expensive?

#11 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,747 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 07 May 2019 - 04:23 pm

There's a topic on here where Fixitsan sent his ecu to Greece to be flashed, will depend on your model of ecu if i remember, try a search for info.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#12 Karpo

Karpo

sticking around

• 24 posts
  • TDM model: 1994

Posted 07 May 2019 - 07:20 pm

There's a topic on here where Fixitsan sent his ecu to Greece to be flashed, will depend on your model of ecu if i remember, try a search for info.

Here ya go. 

2010 TDM900A 

1994 TDM850

#13 Quadsey

Quadsey

• 52 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 02:47 pm

Quick update: After driving home last night (50km) i left the bike idling, it heated up but never got to the red. So the coolant change has helped but i still didn't see the fan come on at any point.

#14 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 09 May 2019 - 10:38 am

Quick update: After driving home last night (50km) i left the bike idling, it heated up but never got to the red. So the coolant change has helped but i still didn't see the fan come on at any point.

I keep reading this with regards to TDM 850's and 900's. have ya actually tested the fan by applying voltage to it?

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

#15 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 09 May 2019 - 10:57 am

You can also check the fan through the dash on diag mode, see JBX’s site for details

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#16 Quadsey

Quadsey

• 52 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 11:58 am

I keep reading this with regards to TDM 850's and 900's. have ya actually tested the fan by applying voltage to it?

No, as the wiring on the back of the fan is heat sealed and not accessible.

#17 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 12:07 pm

See post #5 above.

#18 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 09:39 am

You can also check the fan through the dash on diag mode, see JBX’s site for details

i had firgottan about that!  Thas a handy function.

Hey Guys, I'm still finding my way around my TDM 900 twin and today i decided to flush the cooling system because the bike is overheating in city driving conditions.

There are two main issues. 1. the fan doesn't seem to be coming on regardless of temp and 2. the coolant reservoir was empty.

So firstly after stripping the radiator off completely to access the fan, i found the fan is moving freely and has no signs of wear. It has been suggested to me to check "a switch" or "thermostat", i was unable to spot either. Does this sound like it could be the issue? Where are they located ( a photo pointing them out would be nice)

Secondly the coolant reservoir is completely empty, is this simply an issue of low coolant level or is there an issue with circulation?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

here scaldy balls look at this link (i hope you can see it),  Look at code 51 which will test the fan fer ya.  https://www.tdm-yama...ex.php?page=MDG

#19 Nig

Nig

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 217 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 26 October 2020 - 09:48 am

Just been doing the fast idle plunger clean as mine has been sticking and not returning to low revs. Parceled it all back up,started it up and left it ticking over. Noticed the temp rising and rising - no fan cut in. Shut it off when the coolant was bubbling in resivoir tank. Did not know of the Diag function so just used it following link above. That's a marvellous but of wizardrey. Fan was running OK. So the problem is not that. Then looked at photo further up of rad cap pipe orientation. The new radiator I put on last year has the large spigot on top and small spigot below which is opposite OEM. I connected them this way as well. When it cools down I am going to swap them over. Do you think this why the fan is not cutting in??

Aluminium Welding with Parkinson,s

#20 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 26 October 2020 - 10:14 am

Just been doing the fast idle plunger clean as mine has been sticking and not returning to low revs. Parceled it all back up,started it up and left it ticking over. Noticed the temp rising and rising - no fan cut in. Shut it off when the coolant was bubbling in resivoir tank. Did not know of the Diag function so just used it following link above. That's a marvellous but of wizardrey. Fan was running OK. So the problem is not that. Then looked at photo further up of rad cap pipe orientation. The new radiator I put on last year has the large spigot on top and small spigot below which is opposite OEM. I connected them this way as well. When it cools down I am going to swap them over. Do you think this why the fan is not cutting in??

The top pipe from the pressure cap well conventionally goes to the overflow/expansion tank. 

It allows 'expanded' (IE hot) coolant to sneak past the cap pressure seal to then be held in the expansion tank. Then as the engine cools the cap seal opens and lets the expanded coolant to be drawn back into the cooling system.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users