#1 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 17 September 2020 - 03:33 pm

Bad day. I wasn't even undoing I was doing up....didn't even get to 10nm....... oh dear. :0(

That's gonna be a nuisance

Attached File  IMG_20200917_121336.jpg   561.64KB   2 downloads
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#2 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 17 September 2020 - 03:44 pm

Tracy tools do left hand drill bits, once a drill bites it will prolly just come out.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#3 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 03:47 pm

Yeah I did think aboot that, thanks. I used to have some left hand bits that had an expanding collar that really worked well. Not the kinda place you want to get it wrong... And I seem to have the opposite of the Midas touch at the moment. :0)

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#4 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 17 September 2020 - 05:48 pm

Daaang !  How the heck did that happen ?  Dodgy bolt ?

Sounds like SB's plan is prolly the best way to attack this.  I guess there's the risk of getting some swarf in the engine but I can't think of any other way other than head removal, unless you could get summat welded to it.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#5 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 06:01 pm

I am always really careful with bolts undo and do up.....it never even tightened fully it just smushed off...as you can see not even flush, it sits lower than the barrel so welding ain't gonna happen.

Hmm swarf yeah ...might wait till my recent touch of death has worn off!!!

#6 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 06:19 pm

A small bit of swarf won't do any real harm in the cooling system, different matter in the oil, it would likely just sit in the bottom of the water jacket harmlessly, I would imagine if the head broke that easily the rest will come out long before the drill breaks through as any torque you had on it went when the head came off.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

#7 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 18 September 2020 - 05:30 pm

Is it leaking dabs ! just had mine out on Wednesday and the amount of coolant that came out was pitiful, maybe a spoonful, that after draining from the main bolt..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#8 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 06:24 pm

Yeah no water in there but still leaking. So when refilled will pish oooot. As you said nothing worthwhile emanated from there anyways. Shoulda just left well alone.

Just to confirm my run of sheet the pug handbrake cable snapped DURING MOT brake test today lolzio......gargghhhhhhh (a day early).

#9 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 06:30 pm

:lol:  Better to happen there than parked on a hill eh.  I bet the tester was swinging off it though.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#10 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 06:49 pm

True enough that.

Think the TDM might have to wait a few weeks until I feel like attempting that bolt.

#11 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 06:19 am

Here's the doohickey I have used before...hmmm not seen it for 15 odd years so not sure if I had a set or one size. Anyways I don't think there is enough length for this to work.

https://www.newmantools.com/drillout/how1.htm#:~:text=To%20remove%20Drill-Out®,is%20ready%20to%20use%20again.

#12 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 07:44 am

It's gonna be tricky getting the drill centred spot on, what with the position and angle of the bolt hole.  You thinking there might not be enough bolt remaining in the hole ?  I forget what diameter the bolt is, M6 ?

#13 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 09:32 am

It's gonna be tricky getting the drill centred spot on, what with the position and angle of the bolt hole.  You thinking there might not be enough bolt remaining in the hole ?  I forget what diameter the bolt is, M6 ?

I've used these to get centred, used for door hinges normally, i've also changed the drill bit out but either way it should get you started..

Woops link helps.

Edited by dablik, 19 September 2020 - 09:33 am.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#14 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 10:22 am

Natty piece of kit there Dabs. :good:

#15 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 11:05 am

Natty piece of kit there Dabs. :good:

Yup they do the job for sure..

#16 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 12:04 pm

Those collet drill-out things self centre but yeah it's not in a place I want to go wrong. I have seen them sleeved things dabbers seem to work very neat to protect threads.

Not too worried at the mo as only had this week really to use the boike and couldn't as I broke it, so there are more urgent things I have broken this week that need attention. :0)

You thinking there might not be enough bolt remaining in the hole ?  I forget what diameter the bolt is, M6 ?

I took a bolt ooot of another barrel and it looked aboot 10mm long, so not much bolt in hole to play with...assuming this bolt is the right length.

Yes it's M6, nice and small and fragile muhahahaha!!!!

#17 Norwegian

Norwegian

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 162 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 19 September 2020 - 07:29 pm

How about drilling two small holes off center and twist it out with a snap ring plier? Avoids the whole centering issue.

2002 TDM 900 Red/Yellow Cocktail (it's yellow)., biggified some

#18 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 08:02 pm

There's not a lot of room there to work on it properly there. Maybe wheel and one fork off would help. Its a pita but worse if it goes Pete Tong.

BTW, I had a brake pipe burst on an MOT brake test before. I was peed but the examiner reminded me of the busy junction on to a fast main road on leaving his station. Oops!

Edited by Pedro, 19 September 2020 - 08:02 pm.

#19 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 02:06 pm

Normal service has been resumed.

Attached File  IMG_20200924_145203.jpg   683.15KB   1 downloads
Let's not do that again.

Tomorrow pug handbrake cables come in and I can start on the next disaster!

#20 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 02:31 pm

Go on the which trick did you use? Not the old "glue a bolt head over the broken bit and sell it quick" tactic I hope.... :P

Tomorrow pug handbrake cables come in and I can start on the next disaster!

To err is human, to make a proper feck up you need a french car designer! (or a computer)

Edited by Snowbird, 24 September 2020 - 02:33 pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users