• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Karpo

Karpo

sticking around

• 24 posts
  • TDM model: 1994

Posted 30 September 2020 - 06:40 am

After tearfully saying farewell to my 9er in March, I'm now eyeing a -94 850 with 46'000 km on it, being offered for 1'400 swiss. That seems like a very decent price, though I wonder what potential issues I should be looking out for. Any thoughts?

edit: added some photos of the candidate

Attached File  image (1).jpg   313.8KB   0 downloads

Attached File  image (5).jpg   157.23KB   0 downloads

Edited by Karpo, 30 September 2020 - 08:37 am.

2010 TDM900A 

1994 TDM850

#2 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 30 September 2020 - 08:36 am

It does seem a reasonable price and becoming collectable

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#3 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 30 September 2020 - 10:36 am

I still miss my Mk1 on twisty backroads.

One thing to look out for is the front sprocket.  They had a tendancy for the sprocket nut to come loose when aftermarket sprockets were used.  The sprocket won't come off but the nut rattles around on the shaft and can damage the threads, although the nut is a lot softer than the shaft so you'll usually get away with it.  This has led to a few having the sprocket or nut welded or threadlocked on, and might be tricky to get off when you need to change the sprocket.  Someone on here found an alternative thicker nut which is a sensible upgrade to give it a bit more thread to hold on to.

Mk1's use oil, they all do it and isn't an issue if the owners keep on top of it, but if it's been left to get too low at any point then it's likely the bike will burn a lot more oil as it wears the bores.  I honed the barrels and fitted new piston rings and valve stem seals and it made a huge difference to the oil consumption.

The gear box is supposed to be a bit clunky but check 3rd gear works ok, as that's the one that will start to show issues if the gearbox does have any problems.  Mainly only an issue on high mileage bikes though.

If it's running a bit rough and burning more fuel than you'd expect then the emulsion tubes could be worn.  Factory Pro used to make a hard wearing replacement, but not sure if they're still available.  A search for Factory Pro or Emulsion Tubes on here will find you a few threads on changing them

Edited by ChrisG, 30 September 2020 - 10:38 am.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#4 madmopedracer

madmopedracer

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 30 September 2020 - 11:02 am

factory pro as a company are pants i have had 2 sets on order for over 8 months communications are awful tried email and several phone calls not very intrested always blaming someone else last time i phoned the said who told you the were at plaiting is said you since cancelled the order and will take a hit on paypal fees and exchange rate  2weeks still no reply to cancelation email.

wouldn't use them again may be the best but no good if you cant get them

#5 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 30 September 2020 - 11:59 am

Hmmm FP were always excellent to deal with, I used to buy batches of toobs. That's sad.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#6 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 05:16 pm

Might be as well getting some standard toobs nickel plated ?  Prolly cost less than FP toobs and maybe evena lot  less if a few pairs are plated.

Nice, genuine looking mk1 there Karpo, just a few decals missing ?  As Chris mentions, check 3rd gear doesn't slip or jump out of gear, if it does, it's a full engine dismantle to repair it.  Most other stuff is pretty straightforward to sort out though. :)

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#7 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 30 September 2020 - 09:16 pm

Might be as well getting some standard toobs nickel plated ?  Prolly cost less than FP toobs and maybe evena lot  less if a few pairs are plated.

Nice, genuine looking mk1 there Karpo, just a few decals missing ?  As Chris mentions, check 3rd gear doesn't slip or jump out of gear, if it does, it's a full engine dismantle to repair it.  Most other stuff is pretty straightforward to sort out though. :)

How would you ensure the tubes were the correct internal diameter if you got them plated?

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#8 Karpo

Karpo

sticking around

• 24 posts
  • TDM model: 1994

Posted 01 October 2020 - 07:46 am

After checking all the possible pain points, I went for a test drive and it is mint! 

Did close to 100km of aggressive riding on the highway, mountain roads and the city I honestly could not find much anything wrong with it.

When I got back I had to suck in my smile while negotiating the price, not to look too enthusiastic.

The bike rides smoother than my old 900, has no issues with the gears and seems to not be burning much oil at all.

I wish the weather forecast was better for this weekend, but for now staring at the bike in the garage will have to suffice.

Cheers, and thanks for all the tips!  :good:

2010 TDM900A 

1994 TDM850

#9 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 01 October 2020 - 09:10 am

100km test ride, that's good if you can.

Looks a good bike, I still prefer the look of the mk1's.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#10 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 01 October 2020 - 09:10 am

NRP have always been shit 'ot for carb parts

#11 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 01 October 2020 - 01:14 pm

After checking all the possible pain points, I went for a test drive and it is mint! 

Did close to 100km of aggressive riding on the highway, mountain roads and the city I honestly could not find much anything wrong with it.

When I got back I had to suck in my smile while negotiating the price, not to look too enthusiastic.

The bike rides smoother than my old 900, has no issues with the gears and seems to not be burning much oil at all.

I wish the weather forecast was better for this weekend, but for now staring at the bike in the garage will have to suffice.

Cheers, and thanks for all the tips!  :good:

Sounds like it's been well looked after :good:

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#12 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 01:33 pm

How would you ensure the tubes were the correct internal diameter if you got them plated?

I'd get Dappers to measure 'em, he's good at that stuff. :)

Seriously, I guess one would need to measure the FP toobs and see if they're a different id to the original Mikuni wans before attempting to plate them.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users