• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ortogo

ortogo

discovering Carpe

• 19 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 14 October 2020 - 07:46 pm

Back in the 70s when British bikes were cheap and readily available a couple of mates and I would buy something like a tiger 100 or 110 strip off as much weight as possible and turn it into what we called a rat bike, what nowadays would be called as street fighter?
I've seen several tdm 850s that have been "streetfightered" (probably crashed damaged and uneconomic to repair), but I,ve been wondering how much weight you could sensibly remove from an 850 tdm? Has anybody tried this?

#2 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 14 October 2020 - 07:50 pm

Start with the rider. No seriously 

#3 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 14 October 2020 - 07:50 pm

Biggest weight reduction is the oem exhaust, they are bloody heavy, seen the back of the frame chopped also but dont think that would remove much weight, cant really see where you could reduce a significant amount really.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#4 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 14 October 2020 - 08:23 pm

Madad stripped his mk1 down. :D 

gallery_11736_161_49340.jpg

I can't remember how much weight he'd saved and it wasn't road legal.   But yeah, the words 'sensibly remove' make it a challenge. I'd prolly take the advice of the previous 2 members posts if I was thinking of shedding some weight.  :)  Not sure the effort would be worth the gains though as I like cake. :lol:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#5 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 10:19 pm

I wonder how he fed the fuel through to the carbs ? gravity or a leccy pump.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#6 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,668 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 14 October 2020 - 11:34 pm

It's like the old joke of the car driver is a bit lost so he stops and asks a local for the best way to get to his destination, and the response 'if I was you I wouldn't start from here' !

Of course you can reduce the weight of anything. You can't lose any from the engine, and i think most of the frame is required...and the plastics don't weigh that much and do help to get a higher top speed sometimes. The exhaust, battery (change to lithium)....I can't think of much else really.

The proposal is to improve the power to weight ratio, improving power might be a better way to go, improved carburetion, better exhaust, better cams.....advanced ignition timing and fuel additives ?

Edited by fixitsan, 14 October 2020 - 11:37 pm.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#7 MickC

MickC

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 09:13 am

If your a bit on the large side go on a diet save wrecking the bike saves on food/beer money and youll feel better.All the weight lost will be high up so more of a benefit.

Not saying your big Ortogo.

#8 bowie

bowie

discovering Carpe

• 10 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 11:18 am

HAH That TDM above striped down looks great. 

Well at least there is always a plan B should I prang it.

It's kinda giving me a GS500 feel about it.   What a fun looking nugget.

Ortogo, do it!

#9 ortogo

ortogo

discovering Carpe

• 19 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 07:44 pm

Thanks for posting the pic of the stripped down tdm above Studley, got to agree with Bowie it looks great, pretty much what I had in mind, wouldn't take a lot to turn it into a great looking street legal flat tracker. Small tank and tracker seat, number plate board with small recessed led headlight, ditch the front mudguard, as always its the plug ugly radiator that's hard to make look tidy but it could be done. I have been working on losing a bit of weight myself, it make come as heresy but by cutting out cake I,ve managed to lose a stone and a half!, as a keen home brewer there's not much of cutting out beer though

#10 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 17 October 2020 - 07:57 pm

I wonder how he fed the fuel through to the carbs ? gravity or a leccy pump.

........explain please!........what, of significance, has gone missing, that hasn’t registered with me?

#11 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 09:57 pm

The fuel tank jiff, it's not where it should be, put ya glasses on  :)

#12 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 17 October 2020 - 10:09 pm

Stopped eating cake ? Must be a first on here. :lol:

Ok, according to Madad "The bike weighs in at 175kg with fuel oil and water"  I dunno how much you'd save keeping it road legal though.

It's all here   http://www.carpe-tdm...topic=17174&hl=

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#13 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,105 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 18 October 2020 - 07:14 am

And a blurry vid here:
https://youtu.be/YPuiIqaEFiU

Watched him hill climb at fartland point too.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#14 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,754 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 03:24 pm

And a blurry vid here:
https://youtu.be/YPuiIqaEFiU

Watched him hill climb at fartland point too.

god i used to live near RAF chivenor. even flown RC planes from there

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#15 bowie

bowie

discovering Carpe

• 10 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 12:20 am

What a cool looking event.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users