• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mammonista

mammonista

discovering Carpe

• 16 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 02 October 2014 - 04:24 am

I know this has been talked about a million times. Unknown condition of battery but it seems to hold a charge for a few days, but today after a few minutes of riding I shut off the bike and a few minutes later would barely crank over when I tried to restart. Last night before heading out I noticed that from an idle the headlight would grow brighter for just a second, then settle back down to the idle brightness as I revved the engine to 2,000rpm (was looking at the light output on the closed garage door). Also the blinkers (turn signals) take about 4 seconds to begin flashing when I hit the button. They'll immediately go bright, but wait four seconds to begin flashing.

Not sure, but all of these issues sound like a bad regulator might be the culprit. Don't mind spending the money as I'm new to the TDM and this thing is an absolute hoot to ride! But on Ebay regulators go for anywhere from $12 up to $150.

http://www.ebay.com/...6b333ab&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/...301d7f1&vxp=mtr

Am I missing something?

#2 marrk_us

marrk_us

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 150 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 02 October 2014 - 06:57 am

That's pretty much how mine has been acting, except it has been starting fine. Last week I started doing some battery research on the adv forum figuring I'd replace my battery & regulator in one shot. Fully charged old battery & checked charging voltage @ 5000RPM & was only getting 12.9 volts (should be 14.3-15.3v according to manual) so ordered new regulator & battery. Sounds like ur in the same boat. Most on here recommend Electrex for the regulator. They ship to the usa, order from their site. I'd never risk used or ones from China, too much damage can be done if they go bonkers.

Edited by marrk_us, 02 October 2014 - 09:06 pm.

#3 marrk_us

marrk_us

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 150 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:36 am

You might check out your stock regulator to make sure you get the right one. Looks like 92's and 93's are different. I ran into this on my '93.

http://www.carpe-tdm...showtopic=30724

I think the '92's take the short one without the wires you  posted from ebay, but i'd check out your's before (if) you end up ordering one, just to make sure you don't run into my problem.  Not going to be a huge problem but still time consuming.

#4 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 04 October 2014 - 03:55 pm

Yours mammonista sounds more like battery problems. If you're not sure of the battery condition, i would check that first. If your headlight gets brighter with revs, thats a sign your alternator is fine, but not concrete evidence.

If you read my recent topic, you will notice on trevinis last post, that today we have cleaned up and replaced some connections which have dramatically improved the charging figures.

I was considering an elextric rr98 as and when i get some spare $$, but not now!

Have you got a multimeter? You will need to check the standing battery voltage before starting it. If its anything less than 12v, your battery will be flat. When bike is running, if your voltage is about 13.5 - 14v, its charging. So if your battery keeps going flat, your battery is dead.

#5 SingleCylinder

SingleCylinder

seems to like Carpe

• 77 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 29 October 2014 - 05:48 am

Just got a Yam R6 one secondhand for a replacement 19 quid

I'm not lazy, just energy efficient...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users