No replies to this topic

#1 ProudViking

ProudViking

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 28 May 2016 - 09:15 am

Attached File  IMG_0214.JPG   70.64KB   1 downloads  So, as a little treat to meself, as it goes with the bike and looks pretty bloody good, I purchased this Bandit Alien Carbon lid. It was £199 from Moores Racing down Portsmouth way and the black visor was £25 extra.

I mainly got it for town use and those times you just need to nip out.

Comfort: It can't be ignored that the Bandit is padded out more like a "bargain" helmet and nothing like my Arai X-4. The first time I used it I lasted one hour before I HAD to stop and take it off. The second and third times though it had soften up enough that I never felt the need to "Have" to remove it.

I also have been surprised by how little sweating it causes, almost none the last time I wore it.

Attached File  IMG_0216.JPG   83.86KB   1 downloads

Weight: Holding the Bandit in one hand and the Arai in the other its really amazing how light the Bandit is. I would say from feel that the Bandit weighs one third that of the Arai. Great news but it does have one down size and that is...

Riding fast: I've used it three times now and have covered all road types. This lid is perfectly usable at most everyday speeds, However, 80mph is its real limit. Between 80-85 the lid gets a little bit unsettled and above 85 you can feel it being lifted off your head, That lightness has its drawbacks. Haven't gone above 95 in it has its just impossible to have the confidence it isn't going to blow off and even take you with it!

Maintenance: The only thing that needs constant watching and care is the visor. It is held on by two allen key bolts. Its perfectly secure when attached correctly but it does tend to loosen up very quickly. I had too re-tighten the bolts after using it twice. I would keep an allen key with me just too make sure it was fully tight. 

Attached File  IMG_0215.JPG   81.16KB   1 downloads

Strap: This is different to any other helmet I've used. It has the double d-lock thingy, but that is then connected with a seatbelt type locking mechanism. This is just for ease of use I think has it doesn't seem to add anything extra. It can also be a pain to "clunk-click" as you are doing it blind and it only goes in one way. It took me about a dozen times to connect yesterday!

Attached File  IMG_0217.JPG   80.93KB   1 downloads

Build quality: I must admit I can't see any flaws in it. Typical German standard and looks just as much a £500 lid sitting next to my Arai. The carbon is perfectly aligned along the middle and the vents and fixtures are made of good materials.

Verdict: I love it! Yes you probably buy it for the look. It wouldn't make a good lid if it was your only one but for a second/bit of fun helmet its perfect. And as its one of the few road legal Bandits its nice to have a alternative to the X-4. It won't be for all and but if its your kinda thing, you won't be disappointed.  

Score 8.5 out of 10.

Well after a few more rides it appears this lid is broken in, No discomfort at all now. And if you want a helmet that doesn't mist up the visor, this is it!

Plus it would appear that speeds of up to 95mph are ok with the lid not lifting if you're doing it on country lanes...So I've been told :D

Edited by ProudViking, 29 May 2016 - 06:26 pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users