Tall screen experiments

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
65 replies to this topic

#41 Baron

Baron

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts
  • Location:Drum Castle (well, next door), Kincardineshire.....well, I am a Baron!
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 07 November 2006 - 02:48 pm

QUOTE(dapleb @ Tue 7th Nov 2006, 11:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fantastic thread Baron, moved to Knowledgebase for future reference.

Thank you very much smile.gif , you're too kind blush.gif
Gone but not forgotten: 2007 TDM900ABS Competition White, datatagged, fenda extenda, tomtom rider 1, Yamaha main stand, Yamaha heated grips, HID headlights, Yamaha top box & city side cases, MRA Vario screen, CLS200 automatic chain oiler, Yamaha belly pan, DL650 handguards, Gi-Pro X gear indicator, SW-Motech Mirror Extensions, LED side light, Stebel Nautilus AIR HORN!!!!!

(1974....KTM Comet Cross, RD250B, XS750, Wife & kids, DT175, Suzuki GT500, XT500, XT500 (modified), ZX-10 (the 1st one!), Yamaha TT600R, Suzuki GT750B, GT750K, '04 TDM900, GSX1100F, '07 TDM900A, '06 FJR1300A

#42 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 07 November 2006 - 05:36 pm

QUOTE(dapleb @ Tue 7th Nov 2006, 11:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fantastic thread Baron, moved to Knowledgebase for future reference.

Good moves alogether good.gif

Not having had answers from Twisted Throttle in the US or MRA in Germany to my e-mails about getting hold of the aerofoils, I've just phoned TT and had an e-mail back very quickly. I'd asked them to quote me shipping costs for a single item or for (say) a batch of 5 to allow some economy. The feedback was

The shipping costs to the UK for one of these spoilers are as follows:

Via Airmail Parcel Post: $25 USD (3-6 business days in transit)
Via Global Express Mail: $35 USD (6-10 business days in transit)

The shipping cost for a group of 5 spoilers are as follows:

Via Airmail Parcel Post: $44-$45 USD (3-6 business days in transit)
Via Global Express Mail: $51-$55 USD (6-10 business days in transit)

Please keep in mind that, in addition to the transit times above, we do
not normally stock the spoilers. If we were to start receiving more
orders for them we certainly would start stocking more of them. In the
meantime, however, please know that we will most likely need an
additional 2-3 weeks to get these parts into our stock.

I'll chase MRA for comparison.

Edited by Pict, 07 November 2006 - 05:39 pm.

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#43 Stunts

Stunts

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 09 November 2006 - 07:03 pm

Good on yer Pict - can I be one of the first in the queue for a spoiler if we go for a group buy? Any chance of discount if we buy more than a couple?
S
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.

Done: Sold the TDM, now have a rather large ZZR1200 filling the gap where my TDM used to live.

To do: Keep my licence............

Got rid of that thing within 200 miles - talk about Blaaaaaaand. Got myself a rather nice KTM 660SMC in a fetching orange colour.....

#44 Guest_Emmett_*

Guest_Emmett_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2006 - 07:18 pm

QUOTE(Stunts @ Thu 9th Nov 2006, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good on yer Pict - can I be one of the first in the queue for a spoiler if we go for a group buy? Any chance of discount if we buy more than a couple?
S

I'll have one too if you're ordering a few. good.gif

#45 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 10:31 pm

QUOTE(Emmett @ Thu 9th Nov 2006, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Aaaaaaargh! isurrender.gif shocked.gif As an open(!) question how many people would be interested? - NB we're not talking pennies.

I can enquire about discounts, and consider the logistics blink.gif , but the main issue is standardisation - or homologation (homologationisation?) in US-speak? i.e. the spoiler size depends on the starting screen, so would all parties be going for the same - Yammy +145 touring screen, for example? - and if so, some trusty Carpedian (not me!) will need to take responsibility for the crucial measurement(s). Needs thought, lads.

Meanwhile I've not heard from MRA and so have sent another e-mail - to Brigitte in Exports yeahyeahyeah.gif - to see if they'll supply directly from Germany. I've a nasty feeling they'll route through R. B'Stard of Chingford or some such, though dry.gif

Watch this space....

Edited by Pict, 09 November 2006 - 10:43 pm.

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#46 Baron

Baron

has been here 4ever

• 1,076 posts
  • Location:Drum Castle (well, next door), Kincardineshire.....well, I am a Baron!

Posted 09 November 2006 - 11:09 pm

Regarding spoiler size verses screen size, I can offer the following info that may help.

The brackets of the spoiler from an MRA Vario screen are not too wide to allow fitting to a standard TDM900 screen. It seems to me that every other after market screen width is the same or slightly wider than the standard screen so the MRA Vario spoiler should fit any TDM900 screen you care to use.
Hope this helps your decision making tribulations smile.gif
Gone but not forgotten: 2007 TDM900ABS Competition White, datatagged, fenda extenda, tomtom rider 1, Yamaha main stand, Yamaha heated grips, HID headlights, Yamaha top box & city side cases, MRA Vario screen, CLS200 automatic chain oiler, Yamaha belly pan, DL650 handguards, Gi-Pro X gear indicator, SW-Motech Mirror Extensions, LED side light, Stebel Nautilus AIR HORN!!!!!

(1974....KTM Comet Cross, RD250B, XS750, Wife & kids, DT175, Suzuki GT500, XT500, XT500 (modified), ZX-10 (the 1st one!), Yamaha TT600R, Suzuki GT750B, GT750K, '04 TDM900, GSX1100F, '07 TDM900A, '06 FJR1300A

#47 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 06:07 am

QUOTE(Baron @ Thu 9th Nov 2006, 10:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Regarding spoiler size verses screen size, I can offer the following info that may help.

The brackets of the spoiler from an MRA Vario screen are not too wide to allow fitting to a standard TDM900 screen. It seems to me that every other after market screen width is the same or slightly wider than the standard screen so the MRA Vario spoiler should fit any TDM900 screen you care to use.
Hope this helps your decision making tribulations smile.gif

I guess you're right - it's more a question of the position rather than the size. I'm a bit tired and not thinking straight these days. Anyway, let's see what the MRA response (if any) on supply and pricing looks like.

Regarding the drilling of screens, did you use a standard bit? I was just thinking that a Forstner bit would cut more precisely and with less risk of skidding or splitting?

Edited by Pict, 10 November 2006 - 06:18 am.

#48 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 12:36 pm

Just had an acknowledgement of my e-mail from Brigitte yeahyeahyeah.gif at MRA - the boss will reply on Monday, as she reckons her English isn't good enough. Good enough for me wub.gif evillaff.gif

#49 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 10 November 2006 - 08:11 pm

QUOTE(Emmett @ Thu 9th Nov 2006, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

if ye cum back with a ruff idea as to price i may opt ferwantoo

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#50 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 08:40 pm

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Fri 10th Nov 2006, 07:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
if ye cum back with a ruff idea as to price i may opt ferwantoo

How did you know my real name is Ferwantoux?

#51 Baron

Baron

has been here 4ever

• 1,076 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 08:56 pm

QUOTE(Pict @ Fri 10th Nov 2006, 05:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Regarding the drilling of screens, did you use a standard bit? I was just thinking that a Forstner bit would cut more precisely and with less risk of skidding or splitting?

For drilling I used a drill bit with a similar design tip, sharp point in the centre and 2 sharp points at the radius with cutting edges in between. I also taped up the area with masking tape and supported underneath the screen to prevent flexing......and drilled very carefully! Result was 4 clean holes and no cracking...PHEW!!

Edited by Baron, 10 November 2006 - 08:57 pm.

#52 Lerk

Lerk

really likes Carpe

• Members
  • 80 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 10 November 2006 - 09:32 pm

QUOTE(Baron @ Fri 10th Nov 2006, 08:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For drilling I used a drill bit with a similar design tip, sharp point in the centre and 2 sharp points at the radius with cutting edges in between. I also taped up the area with masking tape and supported underneath the screen to prevent flexing......and drilled very carefully! Result was 4 clean holes and no cracking...PHEW!!

I drilled my stock screen with just a normal (well titanium coated jobbie) jobber drill, just let the drill do the work ie. don't lean on the back of the drill with the weight of fourteen fully grown elephants, and you should be fine...

Cheers
LERK
LERK

No Trees were harmed by sending this message - Though a few electrons were mildly inconvenienced...

#53 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 07:23 pm

Note came in today, as promised, from Johannes Klement, one of the bosses at MRA:

"Regarding the VT spoiler kits. You can order them like a spare part through our UK distributor:

HPS
New street
Alfreton
Derbyshire
DE55 7BP
Great Britain
Tel.: +44 (0) 870 774 7740
FAX: +44 (0) 870 774 7741
Internet: www.bikehps.com
Email: info@bikehps.com

For pricing please also contact HPS. There are various sizes. To find out which one fits best I have attached a list of what is available and some instructions. This are complete with hinges.

I also would like to inform you, that work is ongoing on a system which can be fitted without drilling holes into the screens. This will be available in three sizes. We intend to have it ready by April/May '07."

So, being a home-based guy these days, I phoned HPS and spoke to a bloke whose main concern (repeated avery 10 seconds) was to disclaim any responsibility for any consequences of fitting spoilers to screens, as they were "likely to break" . He claimed they only supply one format, but couldn't tell me the size. I put this back to Johannes to search his UK supply records, but he only referred me again to the listings (which btw are the same as you'll find on the Twisted Throttle site (see earlier in this thread).

For the meantime, the only other info I have is that HPS charge £48 (inc. VAT) + £8.22 P+P for whatever it is they sell (?? - their catalogue no. 39399). I'm sorry, but I was so pissed off with them, I forgot to ask if there would be discount for multiple purchase (Somehow I doubt it). So at £56.22 = at least $102, it would seem cheaper to get them from the US and/or maybe wait for the next generation of "no drilling" items in early summer?

No answer yet from the US to my question on bulk discount. Probably still laughing??

Edited by Pict, 13 November 2006 - 07:26 pm.

#54 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 09:13 am

Further note from MRA:

"Sorry, we cannot supply directly to endusers in UK, because HPS is our
exclusive distributor there. But it will not be a problem to send the
correct spoiler to HPS. If you have decided which one you prefer, I can
contact them. They receive deliveries every week. Please contact them
for pricing. I will send them also a copy of this email.

With kind regards,

Johannes Klement"

Unfortunately the copied e-mail included my remarks about HPS' ignorance on the matter! smile.gif

#55 Landy

Landy

I should post less and ride more

• 1,387 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 10:36 am

QUOTE(Pict @ Tue 14th Nov 2006, 08:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unfortunately the copied e-mail included my remarks about HPS' ignorance on the matter! smile.gif

I do not think it will do any harm if a distributor is aware that dissatisfied customers have made their feelings known to the manufacturer. Especially when they are the sole supplier!

PS
I bought a Vario screen a few weeks ago from a company in Germany, delivered in three days and still cheaper than from the UK distributor. I have just e-mailed them to ask about supplying the top section as a spare, so I will update when I hear back.

BS-Motoparts

Edited by Andy K, 14 November 2006 - 11:29 am.

TS50ER, Suzuki GT125, Cagiva 125, Suzuki GT250 20 year gap. Honda CBF600. Discovered the joy of TDM, 1974 GT250 has joined the stable
Vario touring screen, Stainless Steel Rad Guard, Fender Extender (it came off), Givi V46 Topbox (inc brake light), SW-Motech Engine Bars, Wingrack, LED Tail Light
Still in the shed:- BMW Hand Guards, Heated Grips, Aux Lamps.

#56 Landy

Landy

• 1,387 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 07:20 pm

I have just had a reply from BS Motoparts:-
Hello, no problem. It would cost 54,90 Euro.

Viele Gruesse - Best regards

Peter Boschmann

bs-motoparts
Inh. Peter Boschmann
Kirchfeldstr. 21
51643 Gummersbach
Tel. : +49 (0)2261/546350
Fax : +49 (0)02261/546352

www.bs-motoparts.com
info@bs-motoparts.com

So that about £37.
I did not ask about carriage or volume discount but I am happy to if others are interested?

Edited by Andy K, 17 November 2006 - 07:21 pm.

TS50ER, Suzuki GT125, Cagiva 125, Suzuki GT250 20 year gap. Honda CBF600. Discovered the joy of TDM, 1974 GT250 has joined the stable
Vario touring screen, Stainless Steel Rad Guard, Fender Extender (it came off), Givi V46 Topbox (inc brake light), SW-Motech Engine Bars, Wingrack, LED Tail Light

#57 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 08:54 pm

QUOTE(Andy K @ Fri 17th Nov 2006, 07:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
www.bs-motoparts.com
info@bs-motoparts.com

So that about £37.
I did not ask about carriage or volume discount but I am happy to if others are interested?

Thanks Andy - worth following up, I'd say, as this (barring bad news on the shipping front) compares favourably with the US (though still no response from there about discounting, so I doubt it). Us picture was:

Basic price $75, shipping $25-35 (single item) to 45-55 (batch of 5) = $86-100 = £45-55 at current mid-market exchange rate. For comparison, R. B'stard (UK Imports) were asking £48 + £8.22 shipping = £56-odd, and seemed to be at odds with MRA's advice about selling various sizes.

Btw, don't forget MRA's news about marketing a new "no drilling" version next spring/summer in 3 sizes: "The three sizes are not yet fixed, but the biggest size will be for bikes like BMW or Honda Gold Wing and for the big scooters."

#58 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 10:18 pm

QUOTE(Andy K @ Fri 17th Nov 2006, 07:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Viele Gruesse - Best regards

Peter Boschmann

bs-motoparts
Inh. Peter Boschmann
Kirchfeldstr. 21
51643 Gummersbach
Tel. : +49 (0)2261/546350
Fax : +49 (0)02261/546352

www.bs-motoparts.com
info@bs-motoparts.com

So that about £37.

Any more news on this, Andy? (in light of the most recent posting of interest)

Edited by Pict, 28 November 2006 - 10:20 pm.

#59 Landy

Landy

• 1,387 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 09:14 am

No, but only because I had lost track of this. I will e-mail them today for more details. Sorry unsure.gif

E-mail sent.

Edited by Andy K, 29 November 2006 - 09:20 am.

#60 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 09:51 am

QUOTE(Andy K @ Wed 29th Nov 2006, 08:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, but only because I had lost track of this. I will e-mail them today for more details. Sorry unsure.gif
E-mail sent.

Sorry - didn't mean to sound like a nag. Things are getting more complicated, repetitive and busy these days on Carpe, with so many newcomers etc., it's hard to keep track - I was surprised at how far back I had to go to pick up the thread.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users