Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:23 am

Nope. :)

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#82 gordons

gordons

sticking around

• 30 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:45 am

what type of C spanner do I need to adjust the rear shock? I mean what size in mm?

#83 jlmtdm

jlmtdm

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:58 pm

wow how tall is that 6ft 7?

#84 v2lek

v2lek

arrived on last train

• 5 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:00 am

Hi,

I have a question about  rear suspensions. It seems that mine is shot to hell, with each ride clunks more. While it still does seem to dampen a bit (it does not go boing-boing-boing yet) I think its a pretty good time to change it.

Trying to decide whether to go for new shock or decent used shock. For new, Hagon seems to offer something (alltough from previous posts it seemed that they sell a bit longer shock than oem, that makes me worry)

So looking into options, there seems to be some used ones at the sale and new ones and so on. However I am confused.

To my knowledge, not much has been changed on 9er since it was released. However some sell rear shocks that fit '07-10, others 02-... and so on. Looking at pics from e-bay I found that type RN11 is similar to what my bike has. My bike does not have ABS, but seller has included ABS in the description of the shock. While I don't think there are any differences in shock between ABS and non ABS bikes, it still makes me wonder.

So, to make long story short: is there any difference in shocks or in their installation, or can I get any 9er shock and slam it in place?

I can see Type RN11, RN08 - or maybe they just mean by type, that from what year bike this part is salvaged ?

(We have a saying in our country that one fool can ask more than 100 wise can answer. Seems like I'm the one, right now)

#85 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,745 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:24 pm

Mine was clonking away too, but when I adjusted it the clonking stopped, maybe yours
Is not finished yet? Someone will probably be along to tell you where to adjust it to to
Start with and go from there, Rob (RS Rocket advised me)

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#86 stevierst

stevierst

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 51 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:56 pm

This might sound like a stupid question, but is there a specific colour for the standard shock spring? Mine has a red spring, and the shock seems to have a Schrader type valve at the top of the shocker. Is this a standard shock???

Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!
The current stable
04 TDM900. My work/winter/touring donkey.
The Work Of Idle HandsVI :- 2016 Yamaha XSR900 with a few tweeks:badgerrock:

#87 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:14 pm

Probably a Hagon shock.  OEM shock springs ar either black or yellow.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#88 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:51 pm

Yussum - Hagon shockers is red - OEM are Yellow  :)

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#89 stevierst

stevierst

• 51 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:50 pm

Probably a Hagon shock.  OEM shock springs ar either black or yellow.

Does that mean it can be rebuilt? I bloody hope so, as I'm so tight I won't buy a new one! :sorry:

The current stable

#90 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:43 am

Possibly, although it might depend on the state it's in.  I'm sure Hagon will be able to tell you.

#91 stevierst

stevierst

• 51 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 03:39 pm

Another daft question, there's quite a bit of freeplay in the bottom mounting pin on the shock. Is there a bush or bearing in there that has worn/collapsed?
Trying my hardest to get the bottom bolt out but it's seized solid! Got the nut off, and the bolt to turn, but no matter how much 'persuasion' i give it, it just won't budge. Had the bike a week, and im fed up with it already!
The current stable

#92 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• 3,830 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:08 pm

There is (or should be) a bush in the bottom shock pivot.

It is something that needs occasional strip out, clean, grease and refit otherwise they can seize and snap.

Can't remember whether any one has had the patience to chop it out with a junior hacksaw.

Just a thought would a ball joint splitter fit in there to press it out?

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
Who dies with the most toys wins!

2010 'stealth' grey 900. '14 plate. engine bars, Centre stand, datatool alarm, datatag, E22s, Cree DRLs, Barkbuster handguards, Carpe sticker. Led running lights

#93 stevierst

stevierst

• 51 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:33 pm

It's getting to the point where cutting it out is the only option. There's no room for a press or puller either!

I've had to put it all back together for now as I need the bike for work. It's rideable, but as from Friday, I'm getting medieval on the bugger! :putemup:  By the looks of it at a first glance, the bush has locked onto the pivot bolt, and worn the bottom mount of the shock. I'll have to get my engineering head on to solve this one!

Thanks for the info guys! :good:

The current stable

#94 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:22 pm

Stevie i think your gonna have to resort to lots of swearing and a hacksaw blade,, nephews rear shock suffered the same symptons and it was the only way it would come out,, seem to recall a bit of heat and freeze spray involved, need to ask aircooled if he remembers..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#95 stevierst

stevierst

• 51 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:06 pm

Well just had to cut the lower shock bolt off, not too bad a jon tbh. The bottom Bush has disintegrated, and I've now rebuilt the bush and put it all back together.

Went to see if it had cured the rubbish handling..... Erm no, its still rubbish.

Anyone want to buy a TDM 850? This adventure bike milarkey, It's not for me, i want a roadster bike back!
The current stable

#96 Borderraider

Borderraider

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 180 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:26 am

Ordered basic Ohlins kit, hoping any improvement will be worth the cost

Attached Files

2007 BMW R1200GS Adventure
2007 Kawasaki Versys 650 
2009 Yamaha TDM 900
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

#97 SingleCylinder

SingleCylinder

seems to like Carpe

• 77 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:26 pm

Attached File  DSC_0254.JPG   19.99KB   25 downloads   Got my new Hagon GBP 250 now to enjoy the ride. 

I'm not lazy, just energy efficient...

#98 Harry3699

Harry3699

discovering Carpe

• 10 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:45 am

Just have to put in a shout for YSS from Bike Revival, real quality item £249. Put Hagon springs and 15wt forkoil with yss rear. transformed the handling. My mates on their FJ1200 and FZ1 said " that's surprisingly fast that TDM" But it's not fast it's just that I can go as fast as the motor will push it pretty much anywhere, no wobble or shake (need faster motor). I didn't even have to set up the shock it was perfect straight out of the box. Bike Revival were good too, had plenty of time to chat about the various options and pros and cons. rang several times before I made my decision and they were always happy to go through it with me.

H

#99 SingleCylinder

SingleCylinder

seems to like Carpe

• 77 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:25 am

30 min job to replace the shock, no seized bolts. Pulled an old bit of inner tube over the shock to protect it from the worst of the dirt road riding, bike now handles like a charm. Thanks Hagon.    :D

I'm not lazy, just energy efficient...

#100 bigmick1981

bigmick1981

really likes Carpe

• 80 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:47 pm

A quick search around online reveals that a kawasaki versys 650 also uses a 300mm shock that mounts direct to a swing arm without linkages , just gotta find out how much travel there are in between the two and could be on to a cheap alternative

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users