21 replies to this topic

#1 Pippobug

Pippobug

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 132 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 02 January 2007 - 01:52 pm

I know that many of you have / use the Garmin Quest, I have had one for a year or so and are very happy with it. I have decided to find the way to attach it to my TDM and I need some advise please. I have had a look around and Garmin has it's original mount/attachment for the bikes but I have see other users having attached it with aftermaket ones.
Can you help and advise me on the following points:
- is the orginal safe enough that it won't come loose and fall off?
- I have see one from Touratech (expensive) looks a lot safer and stronger, is it?
- do I need an seperate mount to attach it to the bike's handelbar (what do you recommend?) or should I attach it somewhere else?

If I have posted this topic in the wrong section of the forum, my apologies, I am sure it will be moved to the right one.

Thank you to all of you that reply,

Pippobug. smile.gif
http://www.cimt.it/

#2 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,205 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 02 January 2007 - 02:22 pm

QUOTE(Pippobug @ Tue 2nd Jan 2007, 01:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know that many of you have / use the Garmin Quest,

I went down the route of the gen Garmin Bike mount kit, with a RAM mount 1"bar clamp & 3" ext bar.
I think Dandy has the same set up apart from he used the RAMs own quest holder.

http://www.ram-mount...m/ram-b-149.htm
http://www.ram-mount...am-hol-ga15.htm
http://www.gpsw.co.u...s/prod2642.html
heres a few links of the bits I have used and the RAM quest holder Dandy uses, hope this helps.

TAM

Edited by TDMTAM, 02 January 2007 - 02:27 pm.

2008 TDM 900 in BLACK, MRA Vario, DL handguards & more to come
1994 TDM 850 mkI Silver, with Blueflame end can, Gone to a new owner & I kinda miss her!

th_09062006104.jpg th_02012009095.jpg

Only a Biker knows why a Dog sticks it head out the car window

#3 Mitch

Mitch

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 02:27 pm

My Garmin 2610 is mounted with Ram Mount stuff, appears strong enough and has not fell off/self destructed in over 2 years.

Honda SS50

Honda CG125

Honda 250 Super Drean

Honda 751F1

Honda CX500

Kawasaki Z750E

TDM 900

PRP exhaust, Scottoiler touring, Yamaha Heated grips, Givi top box & panniers, Garmin, MRA Vario screen, fenda extenda, BMW hand guards. Nippy Normans bar risers. 'Nitram Special' parking light. Starcom. Hagon progressive fork springs. Hagon Monoshock with Remote Adjuster. SW-Motech mirror extenders.GIVI Engine Protectors.

BMW K1200LT (2000)

Nothing to add, has it all. :)

Kawasaki Z750E (1981)

In bits. :huh:

#4 Pippobug

Pippobug

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 02:43 pm

QUOTE(avonne @ Tue 2nd Jan 2007, 04:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My Garmin 2610 is mounted with Ram Mount stuff, appears strong enough and has not fell off/self destructed in over 2 years.

Thank you for your answers, but is there another way to attach it with out using a ram mount that come towards you nearly 3in? maybe something one could attach coser to the bars? it just seems to me a bit too far up in the air and not to safe/solid ?! blink.gif

#5 Landy

Landy

I should post less and ride more

• 1,387 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 02 January 2007 - 03:51 pm

These look quite good, not sure if the will fit a TDM though.
Sportouring
I have also e-mailed the guy who makes these handlebar clamps, he claims to make a stronger un-engraved version to take a Garmin Quest but I have not had a reply yet.

Edited by Andy K, 02 January 2007 - 04:39 pm.

TS50ER, Suzuki GT125, Cagiva 125, Suzuki GT250 20 year gap. Honda CBF600. Discovered the joy of TDM, 1974 GT250 has joined the stable
Vario touring screen, Stainless Steel Rad Guard, Fender Extender (it came off), Givi V46 Topbox (inc brake light), SW-Motech Engine Bars, Wingrack, LED Tail Light
Still in the shed:- BMW Hand Guards, Heated Grips, Aux Lamps.

#6 fluteplayer

fluteplayer

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 68 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 02 January 2007 - 06:36 pm

QUOTE(Pippobug @ Tue 2nd Jan 2007, 02:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you for your answers, but is there another way to attach it with out using a ram mount that come towards you nearly 3in? maybe something one could attach coser to the bars? it just seems to me a bit too far up in the air and not to safe/solid ?! blink.gif

Ram also do a 1 inch arm. Just check out their website, or give em a call.

Fluteplayer

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")0(")

This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your signature to help her gain world domination

#7 Mitch

Mitch

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 07:16 pm

Rest assured its VERY safe and solid, if your my way, pop in and have a look and a cuppa before you buy.

Honda SS50

Honda CG125

Honda 250 Super Drean

Honda 751F1

Honda CX500

Kawasaki Z750E

TDM 900

PRP exhaust, Scottoiler touring, Yamaha Heated grips, Givi top box & panniers, Garmin, MRA Vario screen, fenda extenda, BMW hand guards. Nippy Normans bar risers. 'Nitram Special' parking light. Starcom. Hagon progressive fork springs. Hagon Monoshock with Remote Adjuster. SW-Motech mirror extenders.GIVI Engine Protectors.

BMW K1200LT (2000)

Kawasaki Z750E (1981)

#8 phoneman

phoneman

really likes Carpe

• 82 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 07:19 pm

I use the Ram kit with a three inch arm to hold a Quest. The ball is fitted near the handlebar clamp on the left hand side, the Quest ends up positioned near the left mirror mount. It makes is easy to get to when you are riding (sorry officer) and easily visible. Don't forget that if you use a tank bag you will need to see the Quest over the top of the bag and if you flip the bag forward for refuelling move the GPS out of the way.
BTW There is no vibration or wobbling when fitted using the three inch arm and the thumb screw on the arm makes it easy to adjust.

Ram also make two fittings that fit to the base of the mirror stem but I have not tried them. I do like the idea of mounting one directly to the 'bar clamps but I think it may need to be rubber mounted to cut down on vibration.
Phoneman (Mike)

2004 Triumph Speed Triple

2006 Honda Dylan (I know but I don't care when it gets dirty, dropped or stolen)

Gone but not forgotten

2006 TDM900A. Airbox mod (thanks JBX), Fuel cans, Safety lights, Garmin GPS, FlipStandard Screen, DL650 handguards (thanks Hartside man), Yamaha topbox and of course a Scottoiler

2003 TDM900. As above.

#9 Sparra

Sparra

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 10:57 pm

I also use the Ram mount system for my Garmin76C. It is extremely stable on any road surface. Nothing worse than rough roads and hoping your GPS isn't going to fall off.

Edited by Sparra, 02 January 2007 - 10:58 pm.

2002 TDM900. BMW 1150gs handguards, Oxford heated grips, Staintune exhausts, airbox mod, re-moulded seat, bar risers, Powerlec adaptor, bluetooth, 2way comms, K & N filter, Nonfango hard luggage, center stand, polished alloy wheels, (I'm not gunna)crash knobs

#10 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 02 January 2007 - 11:01 pm

This is sort of related to the thread....

To listen to the directions you use a bluetooth earpiece right?
Any rec on a good comfortable one? (With due consideration for the wallet?)

Tanks.
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#11 phoneman

phoneman

really likes Carpe

• 82 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 05:03 pm

I don't listen to the directions. Mine is not wired in at all, the built in battery will last all day. I may wire it to my Autocom this year but to be honest even in the car I leave the volume turned down until the last mile or so when I am looking for an address is an area I am not familiar with.... There is nothing worse than "Off route, recalculating"java script:emoticon(':rant:', 'smid_11')
ranting.gif when you know where you are going. Sat Navs are great but you will never beat local knowledge.

I would be interested in peoples views on Bluetooth, so far I have not been impressed with the voice quality in carkits, handsfree or PC applications, there may also be problems with battery life.
Phoneman (Mike)

2004 Triumph Speed Triple

2006 Honda Dylan (I know but I don't care when it gets dirty, dropped or stolen)

Gone but not forgotten

2006 TDM900A. Airbox mod (thanks JBX), Fuel cans, Safety lights, Garmin GPS, FlipStandard Screen, DL650 handguards (thanks Hartside man), Yamaha topbox and of course a Scottoiler

2003 TDM900. As above.

#12 duibhce Kaelann

duibhce Kaelann

has been here 4ever

• 1,147 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 03 January 2007 - 07:39 pm

QUOTE(Mikey @ Wed 3rd Jan 2007, 05:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't listen to the directions. Mine is not wired in at all, the built in battery will last all day. I may wire it to my Autocom this year but to be honest even in the car I leave the volume turned down until the last mile or so when I am looking for an address is an area I am not familiar with.... There is nothing worse than "Off route, recalculating"java script:emoticon(':rant:', 'smid_11')
ranting.gif when you know where you are going. Sat Navs are great but you will never beat local knowledge.

I would be interested in peoples views on Bluetooth, so far I have not been impressed with the voice quality in carkits, handsfree or PC applications, there may also be problems with battery life.

first thing I do when I go touring with the GPS is turn off "off route recalculation". I hate it. And my 2720 automatically zooms out so that the route always stays on screen (when you go off route) and is easy to get back to, even without directions.

I don't like the bluetooth systems, as it adds the burden of keeping the batteries charges. I've hooked the GPS up to my Starcom so I can listen to the directions, listen to my mp3 player and talk to my girlfriend...
Yamaha XJ600S Diversion '94
Yamaha XJ900S Diversion '97
Suzuki SV650S '01
Yamaha TDM900 '04

Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré '08 + Yamaha TRX850 '97

I'll let go of my throttle when they pry it from my cold, dead hands...

#13 Landy

Landy

• 1,387 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 06:27 pm

I have just received an e-mail from CJS Engineering, who has made a replacement top clamp for fixing a GPS. The clamp in the photo's is a rough prototype, I am in discussion with them to tidy it up, refine the details and price.

Edited by Andy K, 05 January 2007 - 06:28 pm.

TS50ER, Suzuki GT125, Cagiva 125, Suzuki GT250 20 year gap. Honda CBF600. Discovered the joy of TDM, 1974 GT250 has joined the stable
Vario touring screen, Stainless Steel Rad Guard, Fender Extender (it came off), Givi V46 Topbox (inc brake light), SW-Motech Engine Bars, Wingrack, LED Tail Light

#14 Pippobug

Pippobug

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 05:06 pm

QUOTE(Andy K @ Fri 5th Jan 2007, 08:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have just received an e-mail from CJS Engineering, who has made a replacement top clamp for fixing a GPS. The clamp in the photo's is a rough prototype, I am in discussion with them to tidy it up, refine the details and price.

Hi Andy K,
That look exactly what I was looking for good.gif . Once they give you and update please let me know, I am interested and will to wait until they have sorted it out. I take it they are developing it for kind off GPS mounts.
Regards, Pippobug.

#15 Mitch

Mitch

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 05:54 pm

AndyK, any idea how it will sit with reference to covering the ignition and obscuring the clocks?

QUOTE(Andy K @ Fri 5th Jan 2007, 06:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oops sorry, forgot to quote rolleyes.gif

Honda SS50

Honda CG125

Honda 250 Super Drean

Honda 751F1

Honda CX500

Kawasaki Z750E

TDM 900

BMW K1200LT (2000)

Kawasaki Z750E (1981)

#16 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 06:14 pm

Can I see a picture of that prototype one more time? tongue.gif
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.

#17 Landy

Landy

• 1,387 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 06:18 pm

That's one of the things I am waiting to clarify.
I am also considering the option to mount directly on to the front of the plate. This would remove any conflict with the ignition key and probably look cleaner.

#18 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 08:34 pm

QUOTE(Andy K @ Sat 6th Jan 2007, 01:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's one of the things I am waiting to clarify.
I am also considering the option to mount directly on to the front of the plate. This would remove any conflict with the ignition key and probably look cleaner.

Are you adding rubber bushings to isolate it from vibrations (ala the TDM handelbar and footpegs)?
Posted Image

£

#19 gazman

gazman

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 121 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 17 January 2007 - 11:56 pm

QUOTE(Pippobug @ Tue 2nd Jan 2007, 01:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know that many of you have / use the Garmin Quest, I have had one for a year or so and are very happy with it. I have decided to find the way to attach it to my TDM and I need some advise please. I have had a look around and Garmin has it's original mount/attachment for the bikes but I have see other users having attached it with aftermaket ones.
Can you help and advise me on the following points:
- is the orginal safe enough that it won't come loose and fall off?
- I have see one from Touratech (expensive) looks a lot safer and stronger, is it?
- do I need an seperate mount to attach it to the bike's handelbar (what do you recommend?) or should I attach it somewhere else?

If I have posted this topic in the wrong section of the forum, my apologies, I am sure it will be moved to the right one.

Thank you to all of you that reply,

Pippobug. smile.gif

I went for the RAM mount too. Including the wee box behind to provide power for the Quest.
RAM-B-149ZA I think
RAM-HOL-GA15
Quest mount
and RAM-QPAC1
the UK RAM web site is SH1TE
the US one much better:
RAM US for complete list of bits
and
the wired box doodah

I don't use the sound lead just glance down now and again
blink.gif

#20 Guest_nils_*

Guest_nils_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2007 - 07:52 am

I guess that this must be one of the cheapest ways of attaching the quest to the bar...

I've used plastic straps. They are called bundband in Swedish. Anyone knows the English term?

I've used it for over three years and i've never lost the quest (yet). tongue.gif

/Nils

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users