apw99

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 05 April 2020 - 09:43 am

Hi guys,

I have not been on the forum for a long time and just happened to be on to chat with Dappers. I hope you are all well and keeping out of the line of fire. Things don't seem too bad here in Ireland compared to some countries but we are still a bit away from the peak. I am dreading what will happen in Africa. As usual the poor get to bear the shit rolling downhill.

I and now on my third Triumph since the lovely Mk2 I had for several years. I was telling Dappers what a terrific forum this is, there is a brotherhood going through these threads which is terrific, a lot of history there between you guys which is really obvious. I had so many terrific trips, reminiscing back to the big meet up in Germany many years ago when myself , Stu and Pa Larkin did 1150km in 24hrs. I had never done a long haul like that on mainland Europe so that was definitely a great adventure for me, but my ass was not the same for a long time. Yep, I have many photos and great memories from this forum.

Speaking of lovely man Chris 'Pa' Larkin, it is still hard to believe such an inspiring human being could be taken so early. Myself and Chris grew to be great mates over the years and had like-minds on many things. He was such an incredible craftsman, at least his work will be around for generations to come. His humanity and love of life certainly changed the way I live. I still chat with Syra and she is doing okay. Still living on the bank of sand in the Atlantic and surviving the long lonely winters. She is an amazing artist and anyone with an interest in art should check out her site https://www.syralarkinart.com/ . Syra converted Chris's workshop into a gallery and did all the work herself, call by if you are ever down that way.

Take care folks, be safe, be well.

Alex. 

Have you ever lent someone 20 quid and never seen it again? It was probably worth it.

Long Loved TDM is no longer with me...

#2 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• 1,777 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 05 April 2020 - 01:18 pm

Hey Alex. Good to hear from you, it’s been a while! 

The Germany trip was one of the best I’ve been on. I think we had a showing of around 25-26 from the UK, which was a fine turnout.

Couldn’t agree more about losing Chris. He always managed to find the positives and was a truly talented gentleman. Loving cake and TDMs was just an added bonus. 

Lock yourself away until this virus mess is sorted out and stay safe.

2004 Galaxy Blue. Owned since 486 miles.Renthal 755 bars, Bagster tank cover, Oxford heated grips, DL650 hand guards, Double Bubble screen, Scorpion Rad guard, Gel pad insert, HLD undertray, Angry Badger tailtidy,  Michelin Road 5s, Givi E21s, E46 topbox, Ohlins shock and YSS cartridge emulators   Currently not fitted - PC3, Remus Revolutions.

LCErj.jpg

Putting up with the "niner" jokes since 2005
Check out http://www.hotcoldground.co.uk we're really rather good!
Like food? I feed people -  SmokinGrillGuy <p>

#3 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,754 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 05 April 2020 - 04:08 pm

Yep wish you good health, it's going to get a bit hairy over here for awhile maybe, spray the house with potcheen, the strong stuff :good:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#4 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• 1,446 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 05 April 2020 - 04:24 pm

Hi Alex,

did you ever do anything with Chris's TDM? I recall that you were going to sort it out and sell for Syra. Often think of Chris. As you said, he was a lovely man taken too early. I was planning to be in Ireland next weekend, but obviously, that plan bit the dust.

Ali

2004 900 - Blue with lots of goodies

2012 900 - Still adding shiny bits. Was black, changed to white and now back to black again.

#5 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,117 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 05 April 2020 - 05:50 pm

Hey again Alex,

Lovely to hear from ewe. Glad Syra is doing ok. Pa greatly missed, lovely man I think about often.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#6 apw99

apw99

has been here 4ever

• 1,316 posts

Posted 05 April 2020 - 06:55 pm

Hi gents , great to hear from you all. Yes Ali myself and a buddy cleaned up old bluey and I sold her to a guy from Lithuania. The bike had over 60kmiles and was burning a LOT of oil. Chris used to have one pannier for gear and one for oil, No kidding! Chris never cleaned his bike. I used to call it the Ratbike and he then washed it. The next ride out he fell off and blamed me saying it was because the bike was too clean!! Anyway it took some work to clean the muck off it. Anyway I managed to move it. I bought his DRZ400.
I have so many great memories of Chris, a great mate.
Stay safe guys, stay home and be well.
Alex.

Have you ever lent someone 20 quid and never seen it again? It was probably worth it.

#7 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts

Posted 05 April 2020 - 09:45 pm

Good to hear you're OK Alex and I hope it stays that way. You're right about the Carpe brotherhood and nobody embodied that more than Chris Larkin - one the nicest, most generous and talented men I've ever met, but as you say, that talent did not extend to bike maintenance!  :rotflmmfao:  

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#8 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 05 April 2020 - 10:36 pm

How ya Alex,  glad yer enjoying the triumphs. Yep Chris was a good egg and too many like have him have come and gone. stay atome and stay safe indeed. 

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#9 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,746 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 06 April 2020 - 04:13 am

Hi Alex, its not too late for you to come to your senses and get another Tdm, they are still turning up regularly with low mileages. I seem to remember you arriving in Monschau covered in a fine mist of oil from following Chris's bike, still, saved you from having to oil your chain! We were hoping to meet up with you and Paddy in September on the second part of our Wild Atlantic Way trip, will have to wait and see.....
Are you still doing the woodturning? Have a good birthday on Saturday, I will be spending mine at home this year!!

Edited by chrisr, 06 April 2020 - 04:22 am.

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#10 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 06 April 2020 - 08:03 am

Good to hear from you, even if you have defected :D Glad to hear Syra's doing ok. I was actually looking at some pictures from Pa Larkins website yesterday when someone on another forum was taking about guitars, always a good place to look for pics of good woodwork.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#11 apw99

apw99

has been here 4ever

• 1,316 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 09:26 am

Chrisr - that's a good description of "bluey" alright, I had no GPS so had to follow him and stay back at least half a kilometer to get a breath of air, but he loved that bike. It was his perfectionism that stopped him cleaning it. If he could not do it 100% then he did not do it, that is how he built such amazing guitars. Give me a shout in september, I am sure all this will have blown over by then. I was planning a trip to France in May but I will have to cancel those tickets!

Wiki - I do like the triples I must say. I had a 1050 Sprint which was great but too uncomfortable for long distance. Then I got a Tiger 800 for 2 years and now i am back on a Tiger Sport which is really nice. I can safely say my next bike will be a second hand T700, they seem to be the best lightweight all-rounder on the market and a natural progression from the TDM maybe.

Thanks guys, really great to check in with you all again, it is bringing me back to some really great times.

be well,

Alex. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users