#1 cupasoop

cupasoop

Carpe Addict

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 29 July 2006 - 02:50 pm

Being a hard luggage virgin until last week, I'm now looking for a top box to complete the set. Only troube is I havnt got a clue what what i need, or for that matter, what i already have. To make it simpler i took a pic of whats there at the moment.

Now, i'm guessing that thing is a kappa wing rack (feel free to correct me at any time) but all the other wingracks i've looked at, on flea bay, seem to have an extra bit going accross the top for the top box to sit on. I've had a search and came accross this, Parts List which seems to list what i have as KA9N. A couple of lines bellow that theres a K8100, a bridge kit. Is this what i'm after to join the 2 racks together? Theres no pictures so i'm guessing here.

Alternitivley, how else would i attach a top box to whats there already (if anyone knows what type of side case that is in the pic could they tell me).

Monokey, monorack wingrack help.gif help.gif my heads gonna burst

#2 nitram

nitram

Carpe groupie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 29 July 2006 - 03:10 pm

That's a Givi Wingrack, or rather, part of a Givi Wingrack.

Here you go this is what you have

N150 - Chassis with indicators

What you need is the top from the N140 Wingrack

I have rung Givi in the UK a few times having had the reflectors on my E52 Maxia case fall off, they sent me new ones free of charge good.gif And after having a key snap in the lock they gave me the part number and I ordered a new lock from Gericke's for a mere £7 good.gif good.gif

Here is the number 01327 706220

All you need the the top plate and the side arm thingies that bole onto your existing side plates.

The mountings on the top plate are exactly the same as the side arms so a pannier will fit onto a top plate and top box will fit onto a side plate too.

Monorack = just the rack with topbox plate
Wingrack = A full kit with either fitments for 2 side panniers, or including a top plate so you can fit 2 side panniers and a top box.
Monokey = If you order a Wingrack (either 2 or 3 box kit) and order the 2 or 3 boxes at the same time then Givi will supply all 3 with the same keys.

Now in your case where you have the 2 case wingrack, you should have 2 case with the same key. If you now buy a 3rd case, it will have a different key.
You can order a new set of 3 locks and specify the same keys for all 3, this will cost you about £21 for 3 locks.

Now then, as for the case you have, I can't really tell from the mere glimpse in the picture, but, it looks like either a E360 or a V46

#3 cupasoop

cupasoop

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 04:12 pm

Thanks Nitram, as long as I know that I can get the arm bits seperately then I've got a better idea what to look for.

Ps, I called it a kappa rack coz it's got kappa stamped accross the middle of it wink.gif , although I think i've heard in the past that kappa is just rabranded givi stuff so it would be identical then.

#4 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,257 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 29 July 2006 - 04:18 pm

QUOTE(nitram @ Sat 29th Jul 2006, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hello N., me seeking your advice again. I have a Givi Monorack (off a TDM900) waiting to fit. Is it enough to attach it to the bike's rack and grabrails etc., without the diagonal struts down to the passenger peg area, or are they essential? They look a bit ugly and I'm not planning on panniers - will probably go for a Wingrack if I ever do. Ta in anticipation.

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#5 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 29 July 2006 - 05:39 pm

QUOTE(cupasoop @ Sat 29th Jul 2006, 04:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Nitram, as long as I know that I can get the arm bits seperately then I've got a better idea what to look for.

Ps, I called it a kappa rack coz it's got kappa stamped accross the middle of it wink.gif , although I think i've heard in the past that kappa is just rabranded givi stuff so it would be identical then.

yup its a kappa rack, otherwise nitrams comments are spot on. RIP Kappa.
kappa are just a lighter weight plastic version of the givi one, but still made by givi.
they are MUCH lighter, but 1 drop and its toast.
also the givi will withstand a hell of a lot more weight being loaded on it.
you can mix and match kappa/givi parts, so the givi bridge bit will work on yours.

however, if you are a little mechanically minded then the kinda setup that amarko5 has would prob work for you.
it doesnt require any modification to you existing rack and mounts on the grab handle. good.gif
i'll try and find a link to details of marko's mounting....

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#6 nitram

nitram

Carpe groupie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 29 July 2006 - 05:50 pm

QUOTE(Pict @ Sat 29th Jul 2006, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello N., me seeking your advice again. I have a Givi Monorack (off a TDM900) waiting to fit. Is it enough to attach it to the bike's rack and grabrails etc., without the diagonal struts down to the passenger peg area, or are they essential? They look a bit ugly and I'm not planning on panniers - will probably go for a Wingrack if I ever do. Ta in anticipation.

You might find that Givi do a mounting kit to fit a top box plate to the existing 900 rack.
A mate had a Honda 125 Varaderro, we found him an E52 maxia at a breakers and he bought a mounting kit from Givi to fit it to the V's rack.

I found this on the Givi website.
They say:
In order to fit the Monolock boxes use the plate included; to fit the Monokey cases use the E250 plate (which is sold separately).

As you have a monorack then you could just unbolt the top plate and bolt it to this kit. Extra expense though sad.gif
The diagonal struts are fairly essential to the structural stability of the rack.
The best thing to do would be to fit the rack without the diagonal struts and see how bouncy it is huh.gif
If it's not too bad then leave them off, I would say that it is all dependant upon the amount of weight you are gonna carry.

#7 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 29 July 2006 - 06:11 pm

Cuppasoup be carefull what bits ya order as the Kappa rack which you and i both have are made of Nylon/plastic, the Givi one is made from cast alloy or some udder type of metal i don't know the correct terminoloogy for !!!! the Givi top bridge you order cud be a metal one and i dunno if yer meant to mix the metal and plastic parts ?? Kappa stuff shud still be available from Phoenix distribution (ask a dealer fer their number) i have had a spill on me TDM (identical to yours also!!) and the plastic Kappa rack save the back of the bike when i was hit by a van, the rack needed 2 new top arms but udder than that it was perfect, i also tink the plastic one is better than the metal one (i am biased of course!) as it does not have a paint finish to loose or corrosion to suffer from, and you can easily/safely carry as much luggage/weight as any udder Kappa or Givi wingrack, unless Kappa state a lower weight carrying capicity than Givi you can take me statement as "Gospel" !!!!

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#8 cupasoop

cupasoop

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 06:50 pm

Thanks for the replies all good.gif

Wiki i think this is the folk your talking about http://www.phoenixnw...uk/contact.html

#9 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 30 July 2006 - 09:11 am

QUOTE(cupasoop @ Sat 29th Jul 2006, 07:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the replies all good.gif

Wiki i think this is the folk your talking about http://www.phoenixnw...uk/contact.html

aye really good peeps to deal with, they couldn't do enuf to help me a couple of years back when i converted my Kappa rack to both accept both Monolock panniers and a Monokey topbox (it can be done !)

with a bit of luck Phoenix shud be able ta help ya out, if not get back to me and oil dig out me receipt and dubble check the contact details.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

#10 cupasoop

cupasoop

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 10:15 pm

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Sun 30th Jul 2006, 09:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
aye really good peeps to deal with, they couldn't do enuf to help me a couple of years back when i converted my Kappa rack to both accept both Monolock panniers and a Monokey topbox (it can be done !)

with a bit of luck Phoenix shud be able ta help ya out, if not get back to me and oil dig out me receipt and dubble check the contact details.

Aww, I almost had it there and now I'm confused again. Whats the difference between monolock and monokey?

#11 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 30 July 2006 - 10:24 pm

QUOTE(cupasoop @ Sun 30th Jul 2006, 11:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Aww, I almost had it there and now I'm confused again. Whats the difference between monolock and monokey?

According to a recent chat with Givi, Monolock boxes are single-skin, and generally smaller, for scooters - the racks are designed accordingly, and the boxes not generally guaranteed to perform at higher speeds as on fast bikes (Have been known to come off). Monokey are for bikes - boxes are double-skin, go up to bigger sizes and racks are stronger. So they said, at any rate.

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#12 cupasoop

cupasoop

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 10:46 pm

Thanks Pict, monokey box it will be then, once i've ebayed all my old firestorm goodies to free up some cash for tdm goodies banana.gif

#13 Buzz

Buzz

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 31 July 2006 - 08:53 am

Hi guys,

The difference between the Momolock and Monokey systems are as follows (I think)

Monolock - Has two slots (each two inches-ish long) on the rack that two lugs on the box fit into

Monokey - Has two knobs (20mm high 10mm diam) on the rack that slot into to horseshoe (sort of) shaped recesses on the box

The locking methods appear identical, the Monokey tends to be more popular with bikes and the monolock more popular with scoots etc. This leads to quite a price difference.

As far as I am aware all Givi and Kappa bits of all sorts are compatible although bear in mind what Wiccky said about plastic and metal.

I had a full Kappa Monokey system and found that the top plate on the rack had a serious amount of flexing in it. doubtfull.gif Changed the rack for a Givi rack, kept the kappa fitting kit and have had no problems at all the whole set up is solid as a rock. Using Kappa boxes and soon looking to upgrade to Givi which do appear stronger (hence the price)

Also read the specs and maximum weights carefull y and note the Givi max weights are greater than Kappa

Hope this helps Buzz
NOSTALGIA IS NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE

#14 Andy850

Andy850

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 50 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 31 July 2006 - 03:42 pm

If you do not want to spend the money for a TDM specific mounting parts, I took the short cut that others have as well - drill four holes in the rear handle on the bike and bolt down the mounting plate for the top case. Since the handle itself is bolted to the bike frame, it is strong as ever, and being aluminium, very easy to drill through. I jotted a description: http://www-personal....~andrey/TDM850/

Best,
Andy

#15 Guinness

Guinness

has been here 4ever

• 1,657 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 31 July 2006 - 03:58 pm

had my 3 givi monokey cases and full wing rack for 15 years now

dropped the bike with full luggage twice,
first time while filtering thru traffic: the side arm broke and the case slid over the road for about 15meters... hardly any scratch on it

gaffa taped the side arm and secured it with some rope and we continued trip to spain... no problem

other time it was parked but the sidepeg drilled itself into the ground.
bike with 3 fully loaded cases toppled over on the side pannier ...
no damage ... still working

just bought a new topplate as current one is worn out. i ALWAYS have my topcase on.
just try to reduce the slack or vibration to a minimum with some rubber or foam patches

plus you can get every single bit from the shop. the lock slider was worn out meaning you could pick up the topcase without the key.
15EURO later... fixed.

transferred the entire rack from the Mk1 to the 9er.
requires 3 new pieces totalling 85euros. both arms going from where the exhausts connect to the side arm of the rack.
and one piece that replaces the grabrail.(got a picture on here somewhere)
EDIT: http://www.carpe-tdm...&...post&p=7932

GIVI RULES !

Edited by Guinness, 31 July 2006 - 04:01 pm.

I'm an insomniac agnostic dyslexic. I lay awake at night and wonder if there really is a dog.

yamaha : xv535/92-92 | red TDM850/92-05 | silver TDM900A/05-

get them here

#16 cupasoop

cupasoop

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 06:52 am

QUOTE(Andy TDM850 @ Mon 31st Jul 2006, 04:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you do not want to spend the money for a TDM specific mounting parts, I took the short cut that others have as well - drill four holes in the rear handle on the bike and bolt down the mounting plate for the top case. Since the handle itself is bolted to the bike frame, it is strong as ever, and being aluminium, very easy to drill through. I jotted a description: http://www-personal....~andrey/TDM850/

Best,
Andy

Ohh, a money saving idea, I like it good.gif

Worth considering, cheers Andy.

#17 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 07:28 am

QUOTE(Buzz @ Mon 31st Jul 2006, 09:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi guys,

The difference between the Momolock and Monokey systems are as follows (I think)

Monolock - Has two slots (each two inches-ish long) on the rack that two lugs on the box fit into

Monokey - Has two knobs (20mm high 10mm diam) on the rack that slot into to horseshoe (sort of) shaped recesses on the box

The locking methods appear identical, the Monokey tends to be more popular with bikes and the monolock more popular with scoots etc. This leads to quite a price difference.

As far as I am aware all Givi and Kappa bits of all sorts are compatible although bear in mind what Wiccky said about plastic and metal.

I had a full Kappa Monokey system and found that the top plate on the rack had a serious amount of flexing in it. doubtfull.gif Changed the rack for a Givi rack, kept the kappa fitting kit and have had no problems at all the whole set up is solid as a rock. Using Kappa boxes and soon looking to upgrade to Givi which do appear stronger (hence the price)

Also read the specs and maximum weights carefull y and note the Givi max weights are greater than Kappa

Hope this helps Buzz

thanx Buzz, thats interesting reading. i gotta admit me Kappa top plate does flex when the topbox is fitted (peeps have said this to me at the RTT) but the side racks fer the panniers do seem stable enuf, having said that i do remember thinking that PK's Givi wingrack on his mkI was seemingly rock solid in comparrison to my plastic Kappa one dry.gif i has no idea that the stated carrying capicity was different !!! as fer the dubble skin/single skin theory i think it sounds a bit far fetched and i tink along the same lines as Buzz regarding monolock/monokey differences. if unsure then opt fer the Givi kit over the Kappa stuff just to be sure, to be sure.

Edited by wicklamulla, 01 August 2006 - 07:29 am.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users