bulbular's

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Mungas_*

Guest_Mungas_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2006 - 08:29 pm

I was pondering, as ya do..

As the offside lamp(on a mk2) is main beam and the nearside is high beam...

i was pondering if it is possible to put say in the near side lamp fit a a dual bulb (main beam/highbeam)
so when switches are on main ..both light clusters light up.. and high beam comes on with the passing switch. ....

Really the question is ..is a bulb available that fits in de hole..would then only need to hop a wire across from the other light cluster....(i'm a dab hand with a staplegun i mean soldering iron)i have yet to pull the front light section to bits so i dunno .

is ther a bulbular for this task i ask??

Mungas.

Edited by Mungas, 27 September 2006 - 08:30 pm.

#2 Jez

Jez

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 29 September 2006 - 10:57 am

Seems to me that you would have to replace the headlamps inside the fairing to accept H4s.

Even if you could do this the fuses would not take four filaments on at the same time. Ways to get round this could include:

1. Rig it so that the dips go out when the mains come on or
2. Fit relays to both dip and main. This would be advisable anyway.
Red and black '96. Blue spot Thunderace calipers with braided two-line front hoses - 'kin brill. 17 incher out front. Renthal street/trail bars - vibe free. 1150GS brush guards. HIDs - niiiiice. Stebel Magnum - crikey. Nonfango hard luggage. Nexxus. SW-Motech center stand. Had a Powerbronze tall screen - too noisy - went back to standard.

Stealth Diamond Black 900 with lurvely black frame. GS brush guards. HotGrips on a relay - cos I keep forgetting. SW-Motech center stand and engine bars. LED rear light. Vario set to min. 17 incher. PR2s.

All now a fond (very fond) memory. Maybe again some day.

#3 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 29 September 2006 - 04:35 pm

Beain in mind if it's designed to be main on one and high on the other then the lenses will be sert up for that so you might get more light but the patters will still be the same

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#4 Jez

Jez

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 04:58 pm

Good point Chris. Also the plastics may not take the heat of two filaments at the same time.
Red and black '96. Blue spot Thunderace calipers with braided two-line front hoses - 'kin brill. 17 incher out front. Renthal street/trail bars - vibe free. 1150GS brush guards. HIDs - niiiiice. Stebel Magnum - crikey. Nonfango hard luggage. Nexxus. SW-Motech center stand. Had a Powerbronze tall screen - too noisy - went back to standard.

Stealth Diamond Black 900 with lurvely black frame. GS brush guards. HotGrips on a relay - cos I keep forgetting. SW-Motech center stand and engine bars. LED rear light. Vario set to min. 17 incher. PR2s.

#5 Guest_Mungas_*

Guest_Mungas_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2006 - 07:11 pm

QUOTE(ChrisG @ Fri 29th Sep 2006, 05:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Beain in mind if it's designed to be main on one and high on the other then the lenses will be sert up for that so you might get more light but the patters will still be the same

That is a very good point..i am going off this idea...

#6 ROB1

ROB1

Knight of Postsalot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 06 October 2006 - 10:22 pm

was following sum guys on R1s ZX9Rs etc on wed & it really shows how crap the mk2 headlights are compared to whats out there.

#7 Doc

Doc

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 07:40 pm

QUOTE(ChrisG @ Fri 29th Sep 2006, 05:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Could also be Blinding - you couldn't turn off full beam! cool.gif

A headlight mod to do this was discussed here recently. There's a bit of kit to turn on the high beam at reduced brightness. It was suggested for the 9's but I guess it should work on the MK2. The kit was on ebay. The links still work, but the auction has ended, so you'd have to track the gizmo down if you want one.

QUOTE(TDMTAM @ Sun 17th Sep 2006, 06:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know this has been discussed before, But I have just been browsing on evilbay and found this item that brings on both head light don't know if it is of use to anyone but thought I'd post the link anyhow.
http://cgi.ebay.co.u...1QQcmdZViewItem

QUOTE(Lerk @ Sun 17th Sep 2006, 08:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Try this TRANSLATED

From what I gather, the unit basically lights the main beam alongside the dipped, but not at full power so you blind car drivers (so what's good about that then!?!?!?! good.gif )...

Quite why he uses MOSFET technology to do this, is beyond me though!

LERK

#8 Guest_Mungas_*

Guest_Mungas_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2006 - 05:08 pm

Hmmm i think i will just uprate my bulbs to xzenon's . a lot less hassle.. it's just the old haynes manual says for a 96 on they should be H3's but i now looking at some bosch types on evil and they are h4's is there any differance..?? LINK

the standard lights are piss poor i must do something...Eat more carrots i guess...

#9 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 10 October 2006 - 05:15 pm

QUOTE(Mungas @ Tue 10th Oct 2006, 05:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmmm i think i will just uprate my bulbs to xzenon's . a lot less hassle.. it's just the old haynes manual says for a 96 on they should be H3's but i now looking at some bosch types on evil and they are h4's is there any differance..?? LINK

the standard lights are piss poor i must do something...Eat more carrots i guess...

Mungas your bike has a H1 and a H3 bulb configuration like mine.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#10 Guest_Mungas_*

Guest_Mungas_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2006 - 05:22 pm

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Tue 10th Oct 2006, 06:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mungas your bike has a H1 and a H3 bulb configuration like mine.

I'm confuzzled blink.gif
So i guess them bosch bulbs in the link won't fit ( This link )

Edited by Mungas, 10 October 2006 - 06:04 pm.

#11 aytcat

aytcat

Carpe Regular

• Members
  • Pip
  • 131 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 10 October 2006 - 06:04 pm

Yep H1 and H3 is what you need
Check out this site http://www.piaa.co.uk/bulbs/bulbs.asp

Edited by aytcat, 10 October 2006 - 06:05 pm.

#12 Guest_Mungas_*

Guest_Mungas_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2006 - 06:26 pm

QUOTE(aytcat @ Tue 10th Oct 2006, 06:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yep H1 and H3 is what you need
Check out this site http://www.piaa.co.uk/bulbs/bulbs.asp

ok cheers

One last question are blue xenons better or worse than white xenons. I really haven't got a clue about these dam bulbs,,
Hanx
M.

#13 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 11 October 2006 - 01:06 pm

QUOTE(Mungas @ Tue 10th Oct 2006, 07:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ok cheers

One last question are blue xenons better or worse than white xenons. I really haven't got a clue about these dam bulbs,,
Hanx
M.

depends if you want a blue tint to your headlights, its purely 'cosmetic'.

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#14 Landy

Landy

I should post less and ride more

• 1,387 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 11 October 2006 - 03:06 pm

I tried some blue xenons on my car for a short while but they where rubbish despite being a good make (sorry can not remember which), I switched them for the white type with a higher colour temp. These are much better than the originals. So stick with white if you actually use you lights to see where you are going. shocked.gif
TS50ER, Suzuki GT125, Cagiva 125, Suzuki GT250 20 year gap. Honda CBF600. Discovered the joy of TDM, 1974 GT250 has joined the stable
Vario touring screen, Stainless Steel Rad Guard, Fender Extender (it came off), Givi V46 Topbox (inc brake light), SW-Motech Engine Bars, Wingrack, LED Tail Light
Still in the shed:- BMW Hand Guards, Heated Grips, Aux Lamps.

#15 Jez

Jez

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 07:34 pm

QUOTE(Mungas @ Tue 10th Oct 2006, 07:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ok cheers

Hanx
M.

QUOTE(Andy K @ Wed 11th Oct 2006, 03:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I tried some blue xenons on my car for a short while but they where rubbish despite being a good make (sorry can not remember which), I switched them for the white type with a higher colour temp. These are much better than the originals. So stick with white if you actually use you lights to see where you are going. shocked.gif

I too have experimented a little with bulbs and I totally agree that white is the way to go. Gives a crisper and better defined beam. good.gif

Don't forget 1 H1 and 1 H3, like it says above. Do not beleive the Haynes book of lies.

Edited by Jez, 11 October 2006 - 07:35 pm.

#16 Guest_Mungas_*

Guest_Mungas_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2006 - 05:05 pm

QUOTE(Jez @ Wed 11th Oct 2006, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I too have experimented a little with bulbs and I totally agree that white is the way to go. Gives a crisper and better defined beam. good.gif

Don't forget 1 H1 and 1 H3, like it says above. Do not beleive the Haynes book of lies.

ayup
i think my yamaha manual is lieing to cos it says 2 of the same bulbs, doesn't mention h1 or h3 ..
Is it H1 main beam and H3 high beam or vice versa..?
thanx jez and all i think i am grasping this now.
yeahbaby.gif
Mungas

#17 Jez

Jez

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 06:48 pm

Yes it is confusing. I have many 'post-it' notes on many subjects in my Haynes. All from information gleaned from this forum. good.gif

Here is a Sticky from the knowledge base section about headlamps.

Happy to be able to help. good.gif

#18 PortisHead

PortisHead

seems to like Carpe

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 13 October 2006 - 08:25 am

ΟΚ....its not exactly what you are asking for....but its an alternative....

A kit who makes both lights,dimm together.
Click Here

(Only in German)

#19 Drew48

Drew48

has been here 4ever

• 1,150 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 13 October 2006 - 08:35 am

QUOTE(ROB1 @ Fri 6th Oct 2006, 11:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
was following sum guys on R1s ZX9Rs etc on wed & it really shows how crap the mk2 headlights are compared to whats out there.

I was surpised how much better the MK1 headlight is compared to my previuous MK2 & they're both on together rather than one for this & t'other for that

CB125 SUPERDREAM, DR125, MZ125ETZ, CD200BENLY, CB250SUPERDREAM x 2, VT250F, XT350,SRX400,CX500EC,XT600,GPX600C1,TDM850MK2,GS850,TDM850MK1,XJ900F,SV1000S, SV1000N, TDM850MK1 (nr2), TDM850 MK1 (nr3),TDM850 MK1 (quatre)

#20 Jez

Jez

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 09:12 am

I would much prefer my MK2 to have both on together rather than the One Eyed Monster look. The other day one of my car driving mates, who I was following one night, told me I had a bulb out blink.gif

Edited by Jez, 13 October 2006 - 09:13 am.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users