#1 robelst

robelst

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 02 December 2006 - 12:01 am

I strongly suspect my imported 2001 TDM850 still has a European headlight. Beats me how it ever passed an MOT, but it clearly dips to the right hand side, which is not only irritating for others but is also not great on B roads with oncoming traffic (can hardly see anything on either the right- of left side).

I suspect a new unit will cost more than the bike is worth dry.gif so to broaden my choice at the breakers I was wondering if the 99-2002 TDM 850 units are the same as the 96-99 ones?

Thanks in advance cool.gif
That was not a banana, Dougal

#2 Stunts

Stunts

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 02 December 2006 - 08:57 am

Robelst - not done much with the 850 but the part numbers are extremely similar on the microfiches at the JBX website. It only lists 1999, 2000 and 2001. Anything before that seems to be a 1992 model. Dunno if this helps but I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be along soon!
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.

Done: Sold the TDM, now have a rather large ZZR1200 filling the gap where my TDM used to live.

To do: Keep my licence............

Got rid of that thing within 200 miles - talk about Blaaaaaaand. Got myself a rather nice KTM 660SMC in a fetching orange colour.....

#3 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 02 December 2006 - 11:26 am

as far as i know the 96-2002 850's share the same headlight unit, Robelst i tink you cud prolly adjust it to suit your needs without having to buy an official uk version (if such a ting actually exists)

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#4 Edman

Edman

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 157 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 02 December 2006 - 01:19 pm

Rob,

I went though the headlight trauma when I imported me UK bike to France. Here's the UK light:

and here's the new french spec light i bought

Exactly the fookin same part ranting.gif ranting.gif ranting.gif ranting.gif

#5 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 02 December 2006 - 05:04 pm

But does the light dip to the other direction? May be a difference inside/reflector angle.

Too bad its not a Mk1 with the round lamps, you could try swapping them left to right (the entire unit)
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#6 robelst

robelst

has been here 4ever

• 1,844 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 07:58 pm

QUOTE(tdm850rider @ Sat 2nd Dec 2006, 04:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But does the light dip to the other direction? May be a difference inside/reflector angle.

All I know is that the headlight on my bike clearly dips to the right and that the bike was originally imported from Europe. Do UK TDMs also dip to the right then? blink.gif

#7 danceswithmopeds

danceswithmopeds

full o shoite

• 2,425 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 10:28 pm

Behind the lamp cluster there are 2 adjustment screws for each lamp. Easy to identify, each has a cross shaped adjuster. 2 on left for H1(low beam), 2 on right for H3(high beam). Top cross adjusts left/right. Bottom adjusts up/down. Bit awkward to reach but easy and logical to work.
Set the bike upright, pointing at your garage door or a wall. Mark your beam position with a bit of chalk or some non-permanent marker. Start with your low beam(left,H1). When you're happy with that, cover it with a piece of card and work on your high beam(H3/right) I bet it's also pointing at oncoming traffic, blinding them.
Take it onto road at night, sitting on it to see where beams are pointing. Adjust again until you're happy.
Count the cuts in the backs of your hands.

#8 Guest_Emmett_*

Guest_Emmett_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2006 - 11:41 pm

I have a spare headlight of a '00 model if you don't have any luck with adjusting it. good.gif

#9 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 03 December 2006 - 01:12 pm

QUOTE(Edman @ Sat 2nd Dec 2006, 01:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Rob,

I went though the headlight trauma when I imported me UK bike to France. Here's the UK light:

notice the H1 & H3 moulded in the lens !!!

QUOTE(danceswithmopeds @ Sat 2nd Dec 2006, 10:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Behind the lamp cluster there are 2 adjustment screws for each lamp. Easy to identify, each has a cross shaped adjuster. 2 on left for H1(low beam), 2 on right for H3(high beam). Top cross adjusts left/right. Bottom adjusts up/down. Bit awkward to reach but easy and logical to work.
Set the bike upright, pointing at your garage door or a wall. Mark your beam position with a bit of chalk or some non-permanent marker. Start with your low beam(left,H1). When you're happy with that, cover it with a piece of card and work on your high beam(H3/right) I bet it's also pointing at oncoming traffic, blinding them.
Take it onto road at night, sitting on it to see where beams are pointing. Adjust again until you're happy.
Count the cuts in the backs of your hands.

yes brudder i agree with ya dare but this is better than blisters on yer palms............then again maybe.... wub.gif rolleyes.gif we love Dub's here ya know wink.gif ph34r.gif

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

#10 Guest_GuyGraham_*

Guest_GuyGraham_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2006 - 07:57 pm

Rob,

Rob,

Dipped beam - the one that needs to have the correct pattern is the projector lamp. Beam patten seems to be controlled within the reflector

Adjusting it won't make the beam pattern correct either.

Edited by GuyGraham, 04 December 2006 - 07:02 pm.

#11 Edman

Edman

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 157 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 04 December 2006 - 06:24 pm

If you look closely to the left hand lens you can see the part number:

110-3116, and it is the same on both. I understand stuff about the deflector inside, but surely the lens pattern makes all the difference, adn here they are identical - though I know that it is not logical for the exact same light to dip differently blink.gif blink.gif

#12 Guest_GuyGraham_*

Guest_GuyGraham_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2006 - 07:05 pm

QUOTE(Edman @ Mon 4th Dec 2006, 06:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you look closely to the left hand lens you can see the part number:

110-3116, and it is the same on both. I understand stuff about the deflector inside, but surely the lens pattern makes all the difference, adn here they are identical - though I know that it is not logical for the exact same light to dip differently blink.gif blink.gif

that might just be the part no for the lens - not the deflector, but my UK spec light from '96 has part no. 110-31165
There's one on the housing as well which is 110-31672

actual spares you buy have the Yamaha numeric alpha alpha part number system (4TX) at the beginning so its not the part number for the assy.

#13 ROB1

ROB1

Knight of Postsalot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 04 December 2006 - 08:01 pm

QUOTE(tdm850rider @ Sat 2nd Dec 2006, 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Too bad its not a Mk1 with the round lamps, you could try swapping them left to right (the entire unit)

The answer to your question is the lights are the same.its the light deflector inside the light which controls left/right of the beam pattern.Spin on this site modded his own import light to dip to the left by taking the light to bits removing the bit in the light making it dip to the right this is how he got it to work correctly.NO adjustment of the screws will fix your problem.hope this helps.

#14 robelst

robelst

has been here 4ever

• 1,844 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 08:03 pm

I almost can't imagine there is just a single part that satifies both UK and European legislation for dipped lightbeams. The shape of the beam is seriously asymmetrical, difficult to adjust unless lenses can be rotated / tilted around.

#15 ROB1

ROB1

Knight of Postsalot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 04 December 2006 - 08:12 pm

it is not a part just a bit of plastic-ie very cheap to make the light go to the right.Or as i suspect just not put in for people who drive on the left.take out said bit & ur light is uk spec.NO MONEY just a bit of ur time.similar to the amount of time ur going to use to swop ligt units but with NO expense involved.

#16 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 09:06 pm

QUOTE(ROB1 @ Mon 4th Dec 2006, 07:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it is not a part just a bit of plastic-ie very cheap to make the light go to the right.Or as i suspect just not put in for people who drive on the left.take out said bit & ur light is uk spec.NO MONEY just a bit of ur time.similar to the amount of time ur going to use to swop ligt units but with NO expense involved.

makes sense to me, gotta be worth a try.

#17 robelst

robelst

has been here 4ever

• 1,844 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 12:19 pm

QUOTE(ROB1 @ Mon 4th Dec 2006, 07:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it is not a part just a bit of plastic-ie very cheap to make the light go to the right.Or as i suspect just not put in for people who drive on the left.take out said bit & ur light is uk spec.

Interesting. You mean to say "UK-dipping" is the standard on Yamaha production models and US / European versions use inserts? That seems odd, unless the Japanese drive on the left-hand side of the road too? huh.gif

Not sure if it's the same kind of thing, but I once tried using an adaptor on my Buell's headlight I brought in from Holland, but that seemed to dip its beam to both sides: It was like riding by candle-light, quite romantic but rather frightening. I swapped units in the end with someone who moved to France (and naive enough to expect wanting to stay there apparently rolleyes.gif ), that made quite a difference cool.gif

#18 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 06 December 2006 - 01:01 pm

QUOTE(robelst @ Wed 6th Dec 2006, 12:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That seems odd, unless the Japanese drive on the left-hand side of the road too? huh.gif

Indeed they do.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#19 robelst

robelst

has been here 4ever

• 1,844 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 07:24 pm

Finally got round swapping my European headlight with a UK one.

Verdict: Yes, the part-number is the same, the lens-glass looks indentical and have exactly the same code, but despite all this: It dips to the opposite side.
So that's that solved then.

BTW: On the top of the unit there is a number and a "B" printed in white paint on it whereas mine had an "E". Since I have a 2001 model and the headlight comes from a '96 one this could simply refer to a lower serial-number, but since the lights are definitely different it might very well refer to "Britain" and "Europe"?

I am s happy chappy now, no MOT worries anymore cool.gif

Now then: Anyone interested in a 2001 TDM 850 headlight unit with "Euro-dip"? Just drop me a PM, prolly put it on eBay if nobody responds.

Edited by robelst, 20 January 2007 - 07:30 pm.

#20 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 20 January 2007 - 11:30 pm

Robs right with this one - the lenses are identical but the bulb holder cum projector contains a plastic shape which the beam passes though to "bend" it left or right

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users