10 replies to this topic

#1 Beaker

Beaker

seems to like Carpe

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 20 May 2007 - 11:11 am

I have always used Motul semi synthetic oil in my bikes which I buy from Hein Gericke.

I went in yesterday to get some for an imminent oil change and while there I enquired about Hein Gericke's own brand oil which they've just brought out. My friend, the store manager pulled me to one side and quietly informed me that it is in fact genuine Motul oil, re-branded!

At only £11.99 for 4 litres of semi synthetic this has to be a bargain compared to the identical Motul product at way over £20.00 !!!!

Andy

PS He told me not to tell anybody - so that's why I'm telling all you lot............................!!!!! wink.gif wink.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif wink.gif wink.gif

#2 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,103 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 21 May 2007 - 12:05 am

Well you held up your end of the deal, you didn't tell anybody, you told everybody.

Isn't semantics wonderful?
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#3 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 21 May 2007 - 06:36 am

QUOTE(Dougal @ Sun 20th May 2007, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He told me not to tell anybody - so that's why I'm telling all you lot.

Think he knew what he was doing??!! dry.gif
Anyway, we're not just "anybody" - to borrow MarkyMark's phrase, we're "the best owners" rolleyes.gif

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#4 Guest_GuyGraham_*

Guest_GuyGraham_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2007 - 07:29 am

I have always used Motul semi synthetic oil in my bikes which I buy from Hein Gericke.

I went in yesterday to get some for an imminent oil change and while there I enquired about Hein Gericke's own brand oil which they've just brought out. My friend, the store manager pulled me to one side and quietly informed me that it is in fact genuine Motul oil, re-branded!

At only £11.99 for 4 litres of semi synthetic this has to be a bargain compared to the identical Motul product at way over £20.00 !!!!

Andy

PS He told me not to tell anybody - so that's why I'm telling all you lot............................!!!!! wink.gif wink.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif wink.gif wink.gif

Well he would tell you that wouldn't he!
Its what you wanted to hear.

Beleive nothing salesman tell you - anything to get a sale on the product with the most markup

although, of course it might be true

#5 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 21 May 2007 - 03:52 pm

Its quite likely, when stores get companys to make a product for them with the store name on it...

Very few would risk their reputations by rebranding an inferior product.
You get a savings because they don't roll in advertising costs and whatnot.
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#6 Guest_GuyGraham_*

Guest_GuyGraham_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2007 - 05:41 pm

QUOTE(tdm850rider @ Mon 21st May 2007, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Its quite likely, when stores get companys to make a product for them with the store name on it...

Very few would risk their reputations by rebranding an inferior product.
You get a savings because they don't roll in advertising costs and whatnot.

Yeah, but the own brand supermarket food, is often made by one of the main branded food suppliers, but it aint the same as the branded stuff

If a litre of oil X costs £5 to make, its gonna cost the same no matter whose name is on the box

Edited by GuyGraham, 21 May 2007 - 05:42 pm.

#7 Beaker

Beaker

seems to like Carpe

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 21 May 2007 - 05:51 pm

QUOTE(GuyGraham @ Mon 21st May 2007, 06:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, but the own brand supermarket food, is often made by one of the main branded food suppliers, but it aint the same as the branded stuff
If a litre of oil X costs £5 to make, its gonna cost the same no matter whose name is on the box

Quite frankly I don't know why I bothered with you cynical lot. Next time I spot a bragain and try to save you some pennies then I'll just keep it to myself.

I posted this on another site and got a thank you for the information - mind you THAT site doesn't make pianos.

#8 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• 4,205 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 21 May 2007 - 06:41 pm

QUOTE(Dougal @ Mon 21st May 2007, 06:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Quite frankly I don't know why I bothered with you cynical lot. Next time I spot a bragain and try to save you some pennies then I'll just keep it to myself.

I posted this on another site and got a thank you for the information - mind you THAT site doesn't make pianos.

Don't worry about it, the subject of OIL seem to bring out all sorts of opinions. The guy at the Glasgow HG told me the same thing about there new own brand oil, but they had none in stock.
I am sure that someone on this forum will have taken note & possibly bought some.
TAM
2008 TDM 900 in BLACK, MRA Vario, DL handguards & more to come
1994 TDM 850 mkI Silver, with Blueflame end can, Gone to a new owner & I kinda miss her!

th_09062006104.jpg th_02012009095.jpg

Only a Biker knows why a Dog sticks it head out the car window

#9 SteveGlover

SteveGlover

850 going for 900

• 857 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 21 May 2007 - 06:54 pm

QUOTE(GuyGraham @ Mon 21st May 2007, 06:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But, how much does it actually cost to make 1 litre of oil? My guess is that its about the same as petrol, which is 23p per litre, or just over £1 per gallon. Oil doesn't have the fuel duty that infaltes the price of petrol, so Motul can quite happily sell a 4L can to HG for £8 and still make a good profit.

#10 MarkyMark

MarkyMark

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 981 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:16 pm

Andy

I can keep a secret - Its the people I tell who spread it about.

XT1200Z - Big and bouncy

GTR1400 - Chaufer the wife.
XT660Z - Fun and commute.
TDM900 - Yellow.

#11 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:25 pm

QUOTE(Dougal @ Mon 21st May 2007, 06:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, if it's any consolation Dougal, ye've given me at least a timely pointer toward HG semi-synthetic just when I'm about to change from Mobil synthetic (ref.earlier postings), so thanks for that. good.gif
On this oil business, even the racing fraternity (including a neighbour) seem to have had clutch probs with fully synthetic - my offer of an unused litre of Racing 4T was turned down.

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users